pixeltracker

2021-2022 Broadway Season- Page 9

2021-2022 Broadway Season

chrishuyen
#2002021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 9/27/21 at 11:10am

Slave Play will also be doing a return engagement on Broadway, at the August Wilson (gotta say, I'm loving the string of black playwrights at the August Wilson we're getting). I find it interesting that they're doing previews unlike Waitress or (presumably) Beetlejuice, so I wonder if there are going to be changes made to the script or anything.

chrishuyen
#2012021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 9/28/21 at 10:11am

The Skin of Our Teeth revival coming to the Beaumont starting March 31 with an opening April 25, directed by Lileana Blain-Cruz. Flying Over Sunset closes February 6 (which is surprising to me, they must have assumed it wouldn't pick up any steam)

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#2022021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 9/28/21 at 10:58am

I, too, love the string of Black playwrights at the August Wilson Theatre. It makes it very fitting. I just hope that if the rumour of the August Wilson for Funny Girl happens, we don't get a whirlwind of tweets, etc. turning it into a race discussion.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Det95
#2032021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 9/28/21 at 11:26am

chrishuyen said: "The Skin of Our Teeth revival coming to the Beaumont starting March 31 with an opening April 25, directed by Lileana Blain-Cruz. Flying Over Sunset closes February 6 (which is surprising to me, they must have assumed it wouldn't pick up any steam)
"

That's sad to hear for me. I had thought FOS was open ended and was looking forward to seeing it in March. 

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#2042021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 9/28/21 at 1:36pm

Could we add The Piano Lesson to this list as it's rumored to start in 2022?

chrishuyen
#2052021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 9/28/21 at 2:55pm

Lunalaaaaaaaa said: "Could we add The Piano Lesson to this list as it's rumored to start in 2022?"

Wow I totally missed this one, thanks!  I'd love if this happened to be next up after Slave Play in the August Wilson (and Slave Play is strictly limited so presumably they have something coming up afterwards, though I hadn't heard the rumors about Funny Girl being there until fashionguru mentioned them)

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#2062021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 9/28/21 at 8:30pm

Of course!! I'm glad to see it's apart of the list now. I believe I asked in another thread if The Piano Lesson (especially if it's a limited engagement, though I'm not sure) will be landing at the August Wilson? Because Funny Girl was supposed to start in April, also at the same theater. The August Wilson will be busy if so! 

OuttaTowner
#2072021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 9/28/21 at 8:50pm

Sad that we still haven’t heard a peep about Almost Famous yet. There’s been a tiny bit more activity on their IG as of late, but still no announcements. I’ve heard the Nederlander and the Golden mentioned as possibilities.

Also - is the Our Town that was supposed to feature Hoffman dead?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#2082021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 9/28/21 at 9:10pm

OuttaTowner said: "Sad that we still haven’t heard a peep about Almost Famous yet. There’s been a tiny bit more activity on their IG as of late, but still no announcements. I’ve heard the Nederlander and the Golden mentioned as possibilities.

Also - is the Our Town that was supposed to feature Hoffman dead?
"

The Nederlander seems like it would be a good fit for a show like Almost Famous - feels in the same vein as some of The Nederlander's other recent tennants, though none of them did very well. 

That Our Town was a Scott Rudin project. So more likely than not, it's probably dead. There's always a possibility that Hoffman is passionate enough about the project to seek out other producers, or maybe Rudin will hand the project off to someone else. It could happen, and I won't be gobsmacked if it does - but I also wouldn't advise holding your breath for it. 

As for the Wilson - time will tell. Maybe Funny Girl will get it, maybe Piano Lesson, maybe something else. But I don't think we have to worry about it being too "busy" given that only one show can occupy it at a time (unless they team up and pull off one of the most bizarre repertory pairings of all time) 

Updated On: 9/28/21 at 09:10 PM

chrishuyen
#2092021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 9/29/21 at 11:27am

Sam Gold-directed revival of Macbeth with Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga will be at the Lyceum Theatre starting March 29 and opening April 28

Hamilfan2
#2102021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 9/29/21 at 11:43am

chrishuyen said: "Sam Gold-directed revival of Macbeth with Daniel Craig and Ruth Negga will be at the Lyceum Theatre starting March 29 and opening April 28"

I wonder if this means Sing Street is officially dead?  Was still holding out hope they may be able to open there after Dana H/Is This A Room but alas.  Very disappointing, but excited for this production nonetheless.  Great cast, although I find Sam Gold’s direction to be very hit or miss (loved his Hamlet, hated his King Lear haha)

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#2112021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 9/29/21 at 12:21pm

Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but didn't Sing Street already announce their intention to move to a different space? If so, any bookings at the Lyceum theoretically shouldn't be a hinderance to them. We'd be better off looking at which houses are available for the Spring and figuring out which ones might be viable for them. 

Anyway, I hope Sing Street does come back. I loved the show! 

chrishuyen
#2122021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 9/29/21 at 12:53pm

Last we heard I think Sing Street said it would come back for the winter, but it seems a little late to announce that now if it's still their plan. By my count the theaters we have open are August Wilson (starting February, though it seems like it might be booked for something?), Booth (starting February), Broadway, and Nederlander (starting January. Both the Hudson and Marquis could potentially do a limited holiday run as well.

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#2132021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 10/3/21 at 10:19pm

I found this article about K Pop (not sure if it’s been posted here yet). It looks like they canceled their DC trial and are planning to go straight to Broadway.

I wonder if they’ll be able to get it in this season. Maybe a March/April opening?

https://www.playbill.com/article/pre-broadway-dc-engagement-of-kpop-the-musical-canceled

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

chrishuyen
#2142021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 10/3/21 at 10:38pm

I'm VERY curious about the future of KPOP.  From what I remember, it seemed like they wanted to stage it as a close quarters immersive experience in DC, and decided to cancel because of Covid, but I wonder what they'd do if that's the same kind of staging they wanted to transfer to Broadway.  The only Broadway house I could really see something like that happening in is Circle in the Square, which I think is probably booked out for the rest of the season, unless they want to pull a Great Comet and renovate a theater's interior.  The other way of doing this could potentially be something like Fefu and Her Friends, where the entire stage/backstage area becomes one large walkthrough area where different scenes are happening simultaneously.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#2152021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 10/4/21 at 12:11am

^^The original production of KPop off-Broadway WAS performed like Fefu and Her Friends. It was somewhat more interactive than Fefu, but it was very much that same kind of format. 

But I've been operating under the assumption that they planned to totally re-conceive, and re-write the show to make it more of a straightforward narrative structure. Even Great Comet is a not a good point of comparison, because Comet was never written for the audience to be split up.

Frankly I'm not even sure how it would be possible to do a split-up audience in a Broadway house, even in the Circle in Square. Are there any rules with Equity and/or the Broadway League about how the theatre space can be used? It doesn't seem like they'd want audiences to go backstage for long periods of time, and there's not enough lobby space to fit 1/3 of the house. 

I guess they could section off portions of the house, but that would be kind of clumsy and awkward with the way the seats at CITS are oriented. If they wanted audiences to move around and interact with actors (as was done Off-Broadway), they'd have to climb over seats and weave between large crowds of people. Not to mention the threat of sound bleed from one segment to another.

We may think CITS as the most malleable Broadway theatre, but it's not really that malleable. They can't remove the main seating sections, and those take up a huge majority of the interior space. It's nowhere near as flexible as your run-of-the-mill blackbox. 

The idea of trying to replicate the Fefu-style structure from the Off-Broadway production in any Broadway space sounds like a logistical nightmare of the highest tier - way beyond any theatre transformation I've ever seen or heard about on Broadway. If they were to pull it off, I'm happy to eat my hat - but in the meantime, I'm sticking with my assumption that the show we see on Broadway will be more traditionally-structured, and will effectively be an adaptation of the original. 

Updated On: 10/4/21 at 12:11 AM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#2162021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 10/4/21 at 12:22am

Before Covid it might have been possible, but now? no way. What's the story? What's the point? It might be able to reconfigure. 

hearthemsing22
#2172021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 10/4/21 at 12:54am

Could Funny Girl go into the Broadway Theater? Since West Side Story is closed that leaves another empty theater.

PipingHotPiccolo
#2182021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 10/4/21 at 1:15am

hearthemsing22 said: "Could Funny Girl go into the Broadway Theater? Since West Side Story is closed that leaves another empty theater."

the producers of Funny Girl would have to be raving mad to want such an enormous theater. i think it might be a while before the kinda big new show comes along that could fill that space.

Hamilfan2
#2192021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 10/4/21 at 9:18am

hearthemsing22 said: "Could Funny Girl go into the Broadway Theater? Since West Side Story is closed that leaves another empty theater. "

It’s going into the August Wilson after Slave Play’s limited engagement from what I’ve heard!

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#2202021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 10/4/21 at 10:39pm

Forgive me if this has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but has there been any further talk of 'A Christmas Carol' coming back?

chrishuyen
#2212021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 10/4/21 at 10:47pm

I believe the 2021 Broadway return was canceled in lieu of the tour but they might've said they were targeting a 2022 return? Though this is from memory so I could be wrong.

chrishuyen
#2222021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 10/6/21 at 10:24am

Funny Girl officially at the August Wilson, previews Marxh 26 and opening April 24 What a cast!
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/FUNNY-GIRL-Adds-Ramin-Karimloo-Jane-Lynch-Jared-Grimes-Previews-Begin-This-March-At-the-August-Wilson-Theatre-20211006

chrishuyen
#2232021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 10/6/21 at 10:24am

Funny Girl officially at the August Wilson, previews Marxh 26 and opening April 2.4 What a cast!
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/FUNNY-GIRL-Adds-Ramin-Karimloo-Jane-Lynch-Jared-Grimes-Previews-Begin-This-March-At-the-August-Wilson-Theatre-20211006

chrishuyen
#2242021-2022 Broadway Season (for now)
Posted: 10/8/21 at 10:44am

American Buffalo now in Circle in the Square with previews starting March 22, opening April 14, and running through July 10

Videos