Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED

InTheRed Profile Photo
InTheRed
#200re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 11/13/05 at 9:05pm

Go for it!!
Can't wait to see what you've got.
I'll be at the theater too, BTW.
I can handle/enjoy/utilize/LEARN FROM both.

Isabella2
#201re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 11/13/05 at 10:54pm

I'm glad this thread is back up.

Please Doug, help Sweeney Todd get filmed!

wickedrose06 Profile Photo
wickedrose06
#202re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 11/13/05 at 11:45pm

I dunno, this Doug fella seems to be a Theatre Hitler in the making. He's all about the money, in all his posts, it's virtually all he talks about. I feel like he's trying to start a new market just so he can overtake it. The whole thing sounds sketchy to me. Personally i'd rather pay the almost 60 dollar bus ticket to New York, plus the almost 100 dollar show ticket, rather then the four or five bucks it costs to rent the dvd. That's the price i pay for my good, quality, live entertainment, that's just what theatre is, becoming involved with the 3-D characters and actors you're watching. Not watching it all flat on a screen.

COOOOLkid
#203re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 11/14/05 at 12:05am

I think musicals should be released AFTER its run is over. It just basically kills the purpose of going to the theatre and anticipating the whole surprises throughout the show.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

StageWhore Profile Photo
StageWhore
#204re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 11/14/05 at 1:55am

i agree with the idea that they shouldn't be released until after the show (and its tour) closes. but i'm all for this idea. it'd really help people like me see quality performances when all we have are 3rd-rate high school productions. mind you, i appreciate the fact that i even have those productions. but it'd be wonderful to see professionals. i hope this works out.

"`I grow old... I grow old... I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.` What does that mean, Mr. Marlowe?" "Not a bloody thing. It just sounds good." He smiled. "That is from the `Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.` Here's another one. `In the room women come and go/Talking of Michael Angelo.' Does that suggest anything to you, sir?" "Yeah -- it suggests to me that the guy didn't know very much about women." "My sentiments exactly, sir. Nonetheless I admire T. S. Eliot very much." "Did you say, 'nonetheless'?" - The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler

StageWhore Profile Photo
StageWhore
#205re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 11/14/05 at 1:55am

double post, sorry.

"`I grow old... I grow old... I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.` What does that mean, Mr. Marlowe?" "Not a bloody thing. It just sounds good." He smiled. "That is from the `Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.` Here's another one. `In the room women come and go/Talking of Michael Angelo.' Does that suggest anything to you, sir?" "Yeah -- it suggests to me that the guy didn't know very much about women." "My sentiments exactly, sir. Nonetheless I admire T. S. Eliot very much." "Did you say, 'nonetheless'?" - The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler
Updated On: 11/14/05 at 01:55 AM

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#206re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 11/14/05 at 7:06am

To ALL the posters who gave this guy such a hard time, I hope ALL your DVD's SHATTER like glass the next time you ever put them in to enjoy a show that was filmed! And that includes Sweeny Todd, Sunday in the Park, Into the Woods, Passion, and ANYTHING else that you know damn well was filmed WELL and LEGALLY in a legitimate Theater!

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

AspectsofLoveLover
#207re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 11/14/05 at 11:17am

Musicals should be released when there run is over. I know many people that can't afford to go to Broadway or live too far away to ever go thats why it would be a plus to have them released on DVD so everyone could enjoy Broadway...but again only release the show when its run is over.

"It's telling me to hold you tight and dance like it's the last night of the world."-Miss Saigon

Isabella2
#208re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 11/14/05 at 4:15pm

you go, jimmirae, i mean that with all sincerity.

USTheater.TV Profile Photo
USTheater.TV
#209re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 11/14/05 at 6:26pm

Nice one Wicked Rose! Why is it when people don't like an idea they chose to use insults. Keep them coming, I think I will make a LOT of money if get on a flight to New York and hire one your top U.S lawyers on the day that I arrive. I think there is a whole host of libellous remarks being gathered up on this site. Keep 'em coming, it might help to fund the growth of UStheater.TV !

To answer the money question, I have run a FREE website like Broadwayworld.com for FOUR YEARS and each day I have updated it and sent out a newsletter to help people find work and promote their productions. There are now around 100 people who review, interview and film content for the site around 12 different cities and I now have 3 others in major U.S. cities (and always looking for more). They all provide their content FREE to support the network.

The next steps however have to be funded as there are writers, lyricists, composers, actors, producers, directors, camera crew etc. etc. etc. who all have to be paid. It has to be a commercial venture to ensure that everyone gets justly rewarded. The Dot Com boom put an end to fantastic ideas getting investors or development grants, so I have had to build up this concept slowly with my own investment.

However pay-per-view theatre provides a service to theatre lovers while ensuring that the talented individuals behind it, get paid. There's little point launching a major idea if there are no means to ensure that its growth can be sustained. It will take off, get a million hits, then collapse under the strain with no money to employ more people to keep the site going. Simple business economics.

Isabella2 and Jimmirae, thanks for your continued comments and support.

Doug

USTheater.TV - Passionate About Theatre

_________________ www.uktheatre.net

bwayondabrain
#210re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 11/14/05 at 7:11pm

i agree with aspectsoflovelover, shows should just be filmed at the end of the run, then people who couldnt see the show, and people who saw it, and wish to remember it, can see it, but on video/dvd!
i wish they did that, but oh well, only another reason to buy as many souvenirs as possible :)

bwayondabrain
#211re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 11/14/05 at 7:11pm

i agree with aspectsoflovelover, shows should just be filmed at the end of the run, then people who couldnt see the show, and people who saw it, and wish to remember it, can see it, but on video/dvd!
i wish they did that, but oh well, only another reason to buy as many souvenirs as possible :)

USTheater.TV
#212re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 11/15/05 at 1:21pm

AOL to launch online TV service

15 November 2005 - AOL and Warner Bros have announced plans to bring television to the Internet masses early next year.

According to the two companies, thousands of old episodes will make a comeback exclusively on AOL.com.

The network– called In2TV – will allow consumers to stream full-length episodes from series such as Welcome Back Kotter, Falcon Crest, Beetlejuice, Lois & Clark, Babylon 5, La Femme Nikita and Growing Pains for free and on-demand on the Web.

Updated On: 11/15/05 at 01:21 PM

cubbiegirl Profile Photo
cubbiegirl
#213re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 11/15/05 at 2:51pm

I agree with the idea that there is really nothing that compares to seeing a live show. Probably even more so when it is on Broadway.

However, I am 27 years old. I have never been to a show on Broadway. Yet I love musical theatre and I read this site several times a day. I have seen touring companies and I have see dinner theatre productions of shows like The Sound of Music, Fiddler, etc.

Now I live in nowhere Missouri. I'm going to see the Wicked tour when it comes to St Louis but even that is a 3 hour drive. It is impossible for me to travel to NYC to see a show on Broadway. Even if I did, I wouldn't be able to see all the shows I wanted. Plus, I just adopted a nine year old girl. I would love for her to be able to experience the shows that I loved as a girl. But she's not ready for a trip to NYC. I've been prepping her for a month for middle balcony seats to Wicked.

My rambling point is while I agree that the experience is lessened by not seeing it on stage, it still has value. Just like the cast recordings do. I listen to songs everyday that I'll never have the chance to be hear live. For me, I'll take the "lesser" experience just to have the experience at all.

Jim Caruso: You know, you are doing Wicked.
Stephanie J Block: I am!
Jim: Is anyone coming to that old thing?

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#214re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 11/15/05 at 3:26pm

Cubbiegirl~

We are very indulged here in the Northeast and sometimes become self-made theater snobs or arm chair Bd'w experts.

I truly appreciate that it is geographically very difficult for many people to come to NY. In fact, my family lives in St. Louis MO area. (which I will visit very shortly! yay!)

I applaud you! First of all for adopting a child. Secondly, for wanting to expose her to theater. I promise you won't regret it. I rasied both of my "spoiled boys" as theater brats...dragging them to NY/ Philly... everywhere a credible live performance was held. It is one of life's treasures to share with your family.

I work in a theater enviorment that allows me to bring "live programs/shows" to the public and one of my areas of focus are young people and seniors. Two groups that I feel are sometimes left to "find theater on their own".

As I mentioned to Doug, I think his project is very ambitious and not without many challanges. But if approached wisely and promoted properly as well as compensates the creatvie team(s) fairly without being excessive, then hopefully the consumer will indeed be the winner for once.

Theater ticket prices have gone through the roof. Only the wealthy and those who save up can afford to see a Broadway show more than a few times a year without being comped. or discounted.

Like some, I am watching to see how this video adventure pans out.

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

cubbiegirl Profile Photo
cubbiegirl
#215re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 11/15/05 at 3:55pm

Thank you PB ENT. She is already really excited about seeing a show. And Stephanie J. Block responded to an email she wrote her so I think she is a theatre fan for life now. We do try to travel to Chicago several times a year (Cubs fans) so I am going to start saving to see some shows up there. (Sorry this is all off topic.)

Jim Caruso: You know, you are doing Wicked.
Stephanie J Block: I am!
Jim: Is anyone coming to that old thing?

iheartcheyenne123 Profile Photo
iheartcheyenne123
#216re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 11/15/05 at 4:20pm

"I agree with the idea that there is really nothing that compares to seeing a live show. Probably even more so when it is on Broadway."

Me too. I know some people are unfortunate to see broadway shows, but this doesn't mean to video tape the entire show. Broadway should be about LIVE theater and should be an experience. I feel very bad for those who can't see a broadway show, because it is a very memorable experience, and i don't think you can capture that in a video, it's just not the same. It is a lot better to see any live show in your area than see a Broadway show video tapped, it's just not the same. I believe that it IS a good idea to make "video previews" of shows, like they do here on BWW, but just not the whole show, in my opinion it's just not right. I totally respect Doug, i just don't agree with his POV. It's my opinion and it's most likely not going to change, so PLEASE no negative comments on my post. re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED

--Alex-- "They're singing, "Happy Birthday" You just wanna lay down and cry Not just another birthday, it's 30/90 Why can't you stay 29 Hell, you still feel like you're 22 Turn 30 in 1990 Bang! You're dead, what can you do?" --TTB

rflpfl2
#217re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 11/15/05 at 5:21pm

This is a great idea. Why not tape a show? and Why wait to release it until after it's done with it's run? Some shows run years- and as an artist- it will definately help to look at pieces you either 1- can't afford to see- 2- didn' t get the chance to see- and 3- want to see over and over. It's great inspiration for everyone- and shouldn't ONLY be for the elite few who live in a major metropolis. I also think a DVD may get me to the theater even quicker. Say I see a show on DVD and like it- I may run to the theater to experience it right away. As everyone said on this site- live performances are always going to be different and are a personal experience that can't and won't be captured or ruined through a DVD recording.

Also- I'm sometimes shocked at the theater snobbery on these boards, especially when most of these people are Wicked or Hairspray obsessed- we're not exactly talking about high art here.

USTheater.TV
#218re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 11/15/05 at 5:25pm

Thanks for more constructive comments.

How would anyone know what a Broadway show is like if they have never seen one ? It sounds exciting but how would I know that there is a unique difference and that I should pay the premium price of a great seat ? Is it something that we just inherently know ? Our parents told us ?

Many families wouldn't have experience of a Broadway Musical. There is nothing on the TV, nothing in cinema, and nothing on radio or the newspapers to give you an idea of what the experience is all about.

Now there will be.

Capturing the excitement backstage and the preparation and work that goes into making a successful show and then the magic of the performance CAN be captured on film. It might not be the same experience but at least people will then understand what the experience can be like on DVD or Online and then if they really connect with it, they can invest the money and go and see one for real.

I don't expect 100% support. I'm glad that people are contributing their opinions positive or negative as it is excellent feedback for what the rest of the U.S. may be thinking.

Kindest regards

Doug

Moromir
#219re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 11/15/05 at 5:37pm

I for one, as an English fan, will be signing up to this service when it goes live.

There are so many shows with OBC's/newer casts I would have loved to have seen, and I have to resort to aquiring bootlegs, which I detest but I always buy the cast recording and try and buy some merchandise if I can get my hands on it to try and aliviate the guilt a bit!

I'd much rather have a legal way of aquiring shows.

Isabella2
#220re: Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED
Posted: 11/15/05 at 10:11pm

I will be very happy with the whole behind the scenes thing if it happens. I get more excited about this as i continue to hear about it. The thing is I don't understand why people are so opposed to bringing more money for the actors and musicians. IF this helps the actors make more money it can't be bad. I have a feeling I will in someway be affiliated with the stage when i grow older and I don't want to have to look forward to a life of poverty. Nonetheless, I would live through the poverty to do what I love.

USTheater.TV
#221Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 5/28/06 at 7:14am

A year after I posted this listing, it's interesting to note how the world has developed.
US Theater TV

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#222Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 5/28/06 at 10:15am

OH MY FREAKING GOD . . . I am just amazed that I was able to sit here and read 9 consecutive pages of this non-stop. GO ME!!

You know, I say "HALLELUJAH, PRAISE JESUS" about this. Yes, nothing beats live theatre . . . and I mean NOTHING . . . but some of us little people who do not live in NYC or do not have the money to go and see a Broadway show deserve to be able to experience the same thing broadway-goers do (minus the whole "live" thing). I understand that theatre should be live, and like I said . . . it should. But, why deny the rest of us of seeing it when we can't. All I have is cast recordings which most of the time leaves out music and photos which do not really give anything away of what is going on. To me, that is unfair. Now, I do agree that we need to wait until a show is closed, but after it does, I say "BRING IT ON!" I enjoy my JOSEPH, INTO THE WOODS, SWEENEY, etc. DVDs and I too think it is funny that the same people who have been bashing DOUG and saying, "Keep theatre live" own some of these DVDs.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#223Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 5/28/06 at 10:47am

Would love a DVD of BFO, Lestat & Jacques Brel

Poster Emeritus

Kass983 Profile Photo
Kass983
#224Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 5/28/06 at 10:59am

I just got through this whole thread too, whew! It's a given that theatre should be enjoyed live, I don't think anyone disagrees with that. The reality though, is that most of us cannot afford to see shows often if ever. Geography, the fact that tours simply do not go everywhere, and the price of one ticket, let alone for the entire family would put many of us on mac-n-cheese for months.

I agree in theory with not showing a taped version until a show closes; but I'm not absolutely convinced it would substantially, if at all, hurt ticket sales if done SPARINGLY (say 2-3 times a year). In my admittedly uneducated opinion, the people that attend live theatre will do so no matter what; those that save money to travel and see a show still will, (I know I would); and there would be revenue generated in excess of only house seats.

I do feel a purchasable copy (DVD) should not be available until well after a show's closing.

This isn't 1906. Unless elitism and downright selfishness is at the root, distance and cost should no longer be issues regarding entertainment/the arts when we have the global connection of the internet. The numbers of people this medium would reach is astonomical and I wish Doug the very best of luck in this endeavor.

Videos