pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 96

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2375Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/2/22 at 9:56am

Apparently last night had every swing on which caused Bianca to play Roxie and AFW to come back (again) as Velma. Rachel was Mama, J. London was Mary Sunshine, their Amos was out. Sounds like Charlotte will be out the rest of the week at least. Let's see if this happens again on Thursday.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#2376Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/2/22 at 9:56am

BCfitasafiddle said: "That's crazy. Also, I've heard from almost everyone I know who's seen Bianca in both roles and everyone has said she's an even greater Velma."

I've seen Bianca dozens of times as Roxie and she was always one of my favorites, somehow always fresh doing the same thing so long. And I think her natural ability, plus knowing the show backwards and forwards, made for an incredible Velma when I saw her a couple of months ago. I really think she's just a remarkable triple threat, and it's great she's been able to do both roles so impeccably. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

pattilupony
#2377Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/2/22 at 11:12am

Bianca is playing Roxie through Friday at least, according to her instagram. 

KMKJ
#2378Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/2/22 at 11:21am

BCfitasafiddle said: "That's crazy. Also, I've heard from almost everyone I know who's seen Bianca in both roles and everyone has said she's an even greater Velma."

I had the opposite reaction. Seeing Marroquin's "Velma" reaffirmed that this triple threat is a HUGE, supreme talent. But, she didn't convince me in the role. There was no grit, no top-dog attitude, no caustic sarcasm. Big on goofiness and sensitivity...not so much on being a hardened force of the Cook County Jail. Actually, most of the women on the cell block were lacking edge & distinction; besides the foolproof laughs, "CBT" fell flat with the current crop.

For me, Marroquin is an even greater "Roxie."

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#2379Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/2/22 at 12:51pm

After this, I feel like Amra’s Velma dress should be framed and hung in the lobby. 

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2380Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/2/22 at 12:55pm

She should really just be listed as the Velma standby at this point. Curious how they announced Bianca as Roxie? Was it just a slip?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#2381Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/2/22 at 6:25pm

Azúcar! said: "blaxx said: "BCfitasafiddle said: "That's crazy. Also, I've heard from almost everyone I know who's seen Bianca in both roles and everyone has said she's an even greater Velma."

That's insane, anything she can't do?
"

A new show.
"

WORD!

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#2382Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/2/22 at 7:53pm

Jeff Gorti will play the role of Billy Flynn from Feb. 10--11.   He is "very" easy on the eyes.  https://www.jeffgorti.com/

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 2/2/22 at 07:53 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2383Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/2/22 at 8:05pm

Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
   Jeff Gorti  (Billy Flynn u/s, Fred Casely u/s  )

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 2/2/22 at 08:05 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2384Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/6/22 at 9:14pm

https://youtu.be/IFssgH0NBbg  The Brazilian "All That Jazz".  This Velma is interesting.  She doesn't do the hand motion over the head at the start.  One thing I did notice was when Velma is with her three boys, she doesn't need to show off her posterior and get down on the stage.  They had an interesting approach.  

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2385Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/6/22 at 9:24pm

That's one stiff Velma.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2386Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/6/22 at 10:09pm

ACL2006 said: "That's one stiff Velma."

Indeed.  Was she just marking this or was this supposed to be full out?  And what’s up with her solo embellishments?  They were flat and horrendous.  She was 2 steps away from holding up a can of Folger’s Coffee.  The walking around with her hands on her hips were priceless and awful.  

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2387Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/6/22 at 10:23pm

The director of that show made some iffy choices.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2388Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/6/22 at 10:31pm

Now, for the Brazilian Roxie.  I think she performed better than the Velma.  https://youtu.be/2rPXWQluBUs

The Tony Award-winning, record-breaking hit musical CHICAGO opened this week in Brazil for a limited engagement at Teatro Santander through May 29, 2022. This Portuguese-language production stars Emanuelle Araújo as Velma Kelly, Carol Costa as Roxie Hart and Tony Award winner Paulo Szot as Billy Flynn, who recently starred in the Broadway production.

See the São Paulo cast performing 'Roxie' below!

The cast also features Alberto Venceslau, André Luiz Odin, Estela Ribeiro, Esther Arieiv, Fernando Rocha, Gabriel Malo, Gabriela Germano, Guilherme Pereira, Hellen de Castro, Lucas Cândido, Marcelo Vasquez, Mari Rosinski, Mariana Barros, Moira Osório, Nay Fernandes, Rodrigo Garcia, Vitor Loschiavo and Ygor Zago.

Updated On: 2/6/22 at 10:31 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2389Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/6/22 at 10:54pm

Paulo Szot as Billy Flynn.  He looks like he's having fun.  https://youtu.be/vWTHfRWUGTw

Papi2013
#2390Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/7/22 at 5:19pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Now, for the Brazilian Roxie. I think she performed better than the Velma.https://youtu.be/2rPXWQluBUs

The Tony Award-winning, record-breaking hit musical CHICAGOopened this week in Brazil for a limited engagement at Teatro Santander through May 29, 2022. This Portuguese-language production stars Emanuelle Araújo as Velma Kelly, Carol Costa as Roxie Hart and Tony Award winnerPaulo Szotas Billy Flynn, who recently starred in the Broadway production.

See the São Paulo cast performing 'Roxie' below!

The cast also features Alberto Venceslau, André Luiz Odin, Estela Ribeiro, Esther Arieiv, Fernando Rocha, Gabriel Malo, Gabriela Germano, Guilherme Pereira, Hellen de Castro, Lucas Cândido, Marcelo Vasquez, Mari Rosinski, Mariana Barros, Moira Osório, Nay Fernandes,Rodrigo Garcia, Vitor Loschiavo and Ygor Zago.

"

Both the Roxie and Velma look dreadful.  The clips make me sad.  Horrible.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2391Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/7/22 at 6:02pm

I wonder who directed/choreographed this? Greg Butler typically does the international productions, but even the choreo is sloppy. Doesn't look like he was apart of this one.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#2392Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/7/22 at 8:47pm

I don't know what's worse, Velma when her hands are on her hips, or when they're not.

Was she directed to look bug-eyed into the camera like she's on a hostage tape?

Is she actually considered a musical theatre actress, or is she star casting? 

Either way, she needs a lawyer, because that performance is a hangin' case!

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#2393Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/7/22 at 10:13pm

Azúcar! said: "blaxx said: "BCfitasafiddle said: "That's crazy. Also, I've heard from almost everyone I know who's seen Bianca in both roles and everyone has said she's an even greater Velma."

That's insane, anything she can't do?
"

A new show.
"

I thought she did WSS, Bye Bye Birdie, The Sound of Music and Disney's Mary Poppins since. Maybe not Broadway but she has done other stuff.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

BrodyFosse123
#2394Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/7/22 at 10:33pm

When not in CHICAGO on Broadway, she has a very active career in Mexico.  She is considered the Queen of Musical Theater there and as mentioned above, starred in the Mexican production of Disney’s MARY POPPINS and appears on numerous TV shows and is always on the panel of numerous reality competition shows, especially those featuring singing and dancing.  

alovingfan Profile Photo
alovingfan
#2395Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/8/22 at 2:09pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "When not in CHICAGO on Broadway, she has a very active career in Mexico. She is considered the Queen of Musical Theater there and as mentioned above, starred in the Mexican production of Disney’s MARY POPPINS and appears on numerous TV shows and is always on the panel of numerous reality competition shows, especially those featuring singing and dancing."

Not to take away from your love for her.  She is not considered the queen of musical theater in Mexico.  Maybe her publicist would like you think that.   More of a Patti Murin of musical theater.  As far as her TV show appearances.. they do not have the leverage or cache that something in the states might have.  It is just a different thing.  

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2396Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/11/22 at 9:38pm

https://youtu.be/BvpNeYmBIgU   This is an almost 39 minute video of all things Chicago, as told by a Brazilian tv host of some sort. Parts of it cover the current Brazilian production.  It s;also covers the original musical production to the current revival.  Interspersed are several pop culture references.  I could manage a few words here and there in Portugese, since it is a sort of "language cousin" to Spanish.  Interesting video. 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#2397Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/12/22 at 8:13pm

How often does the cast change? I haven't seen this since maybe 1999, & am considering it for a Monday night during my July NY trip.

BrodyFosse123
#2398Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/12/22 at 8:22pm

inception said: "How often does the cast change? I haven't seen this since maybe 1999, & am considering it for a Monday night during my July NY trip."

Theres no standard protocol and the cast changes every few months.  If you plan on going in July, assume to check the cast situation in late June as there could be a cast change about to happen or someone new has just started.  

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2399Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/12/22 at 10:27pm

Before the Shutdown of March 2020, Telecharge would post the end dates of the Chicago principal actors.  Now, it only shows that Bianca Marroquin's last day in March 13th.  Lana Gordon is involved with Hadestown.  Maybe Terra C can make another appearance at the Ambassador?  There was a time when Chicago cultivated celebrity Velmas.  Now, there is a very small pool of experienced Velmas:  Bianca Marroquin, AFW, Lana Gordon and Terra C.  

Videos