pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 98

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#2425SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 4:00pm

I like McPhee's voice dating back to American Idol. I confess I had the McPheever. She's got a very nice tone.

That being said, Hilty is the superior singer in every way for me.

McPhee sounds pretty, but Hilty performs every song to the fullest and her vocal technique is top notch.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2426SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 4:04pm

They already fired the writers and brought Smash for one more season. And it didn't work.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2427SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 4:22pm

Declarative statements bother Talulah, so she followed her complaint about them with a bunch more declarative statements.

SporkGoddess
#2428SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 4:35pm

I thought she was quite good last year when the writing was definitively better for an unsophisticated Iowa corn girl.

Good Lord, she's from Iowa but she's not exactly a farmer's daughter. As a Midwesterner I take offense to the idea that we don't talk in as sophisticated a manner as them East Coast city slickers.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 5/1/13 at 04:35 PM

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#2429SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 4:46pm

Hilty IS Broadway...McPhee IS POP...I adore both but I would be much more excited seeing a Broadway show staring Hilty...

NO MATTER THE WRITING OR ANYTHING...NBC screwed this show up by where it ran it...if it had followed THE VOICE as in last season I honestly think it's ratinga would be higher, and good enough to renew it for a 3rd season...SHAME ON NBC!

Talulah
#2430SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 4:48pm

The only declarative statement I made was that the world despises Jimmy and in this instance I believe we have prima faci evidence to support my declaration.

I love it when people drag in the be-all-end-all word 'critics' to support their argument that Hilty is better. For all I know, these so-called critics could just be some hungover, bathrobe wearing drones plunking the keyboard of their laptops in their grandmosthers' basements. I am a trained musician so my opinion is worth as much as theirs...lest we all forget, 'critics' are merely stating 'their' opinion as well. I have never allowed a 'critic' to determine what I like or do not like, nor should you.

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#2431SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 5:09pm

I'd love to hear more about your musical training.

I've been thinking of getting some so my opinion would be equal to other people's as well.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2432SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 5:16pm

"I say they are both equal in their abilities" is a declarative statement. It's not a true statement, but it is declarative.

Talulah
#2433SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 6:22pm

Wrong (declarative). If I had said, 'they are both equal' it would be declarative. However, I said, "I say that they are both equal". That is an opinion, not a declaration.

Musical training? Take piano, violin, guitar lessons...whatever. You will learn scales, notes, chords. If your ear isn't tin, you will develop an ear for what a note should sound like and when a singer is sharp or flat on a note. If you are really good, you will even develop an ear for the degree of sharpness and flatness but still, what you hear should only be stated and interpreted as your opinion.

Updated On: 5/1/13 at 06:22 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2434SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 6:26pm

It's still declarative, baby.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2435SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 6:32pm

There are only four types of sentences:

Declarative -- makes a statement
Exclamatory -- exclaims
Imperative -- demands
Interrogative -- asks a question.

That's it. Opinion is not its own classification of sentence.

A slide show for your viewing pleasure

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#2436SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 6:42pm

"I know it has been discussed in this thread how NBC doesn't care about this show anymore, but still I find it very unlikely for them to imply at the end of the episode Kyle is dead and then have the characters talking about him in the preview and showing his picture. It seems too easy to figure out. "

I suppose Jimmy singing Radiohead's "High and Dry" *could* be a cheesy thing sung to Kyle as he lays in a coma or something.... But....

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#2437SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 7:03pm

My guess is he'll be injured, or in a coma as you say, but not dead. Maybe even blind, who knows?

Updated On: 5/1/13 at 07:03 PM

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#2438SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 7:07pm

Kyle will become a paralyzed, blind and mute man who Jimmy, out of guilt will be forced to wheel about, while Kyle is forced to eternally hear Jimmy's singing and his coke-fueled orgies.

dramamama611
#2439SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 7:12pm

He'll be in a comma?! Thanks, that made me laugh. (I realize it was just a typo.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#2440SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 7:17pm

Lol, it's fixed now, thanks!

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#2441SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 7:22pm

Hilty IS Broadway...McPhee IS POP...I adore both but I would be much more excited seeing a Broadway show staring Hilty...

I agree but I've been surprised there hasn't been more discussion of Hilty's pop album. Did I miss a thread?

Her CD is really quite good and she doesn't belt a note.

dramamama611
#2442SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 7:27pm

There was a thread, if I remember correctly, people were not overly impressed with it.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#2443SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 7:33pm

Thanks, dmama. It's really subtle work and it will disappoint anyone who wants to hear Hilty belt "Let Me Be Your Star"; but it requires a lot of control to sing so tenderly--the CD as a whole grew on me.

Talulah
#2444SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 8:02pm

Oh boy, there are those who want to turn everything into an argument....

If you don't add the qualiiers, I think, I say, I believe etc, you are attempting to make a statement of facts without evidence. Saying something does not make it necessarily so.

If I say, 'you are ugly', I am attempting to declare it so. You may be beautiful to most folks so just my saying you are ugly does not make it so.

I.e. When someone says Hilty is better, it does not make it so.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2445SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 8:10pm

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#2446SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 8:30pm

Talulah-- you create an account on a Broadway message board, proceed to tell people that their opinions about a Broadway actress are false, then get all pissy when your opinions aren't respected. I hope you realize how ridiculous you sound.

By the way, your pretentious explanation of a singer's voice being sharp or flat combined with your defense of Katharine McPhee, whose voice along her break is so nasal that half the time she goes flat, shows how little you truly know about musical theory.

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#2447SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 8:30pm

Here's the thread for Megan's album:
https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1057717#4392335

I'm glad you like it! It pains me horribly to admit that I'm not too crazy about it. Literally WORSHIP Ms. Hilty and it just didn't do it for me. But hey if she's happy with it.... then I'm happy she's happy with it. Mehh.

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#2448SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 8:35pm

Talulah, I was looking for info on YOUR musical training. Not the concept of what musical training is in general.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#2449SMASH
Posted: 5/1/13 at 9:09pm

Both Megan Hilty and Katharine McPhee are talented persons. But Hilty is without a doubt the better singer and actress. Just my opinion. from RC in Austin, Texas (in NYC June 7-10).

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Videos