pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 99

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#2450Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/13/22 at 8:10pm

I’ve been trying to find pictures of Khandi Alexander as Velma from 1998. Entertainment Tonight back then did a segment about her replacing as Velma with lots of clips. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2451Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/13/22 at 8:19pm

JBradshaw said: "I’ve been trying to find pictures of Khandi Alexander as Velma from 1998. Entertainment Tonight back then did a segment about her replacing as Velma with lots of clips."

Its been almost a decade since you last asked and nothing has surfaced.  I think you can let go of this hope and move on.  wink

Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#2452Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/13/22 at 11:58pm

And it’s been since 1998 I saw a entertainment tonight segment with many clips of her Velma. 

i keep asking for pictures cause her Velma looks the long pony was amazing. 

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#2453Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/13/22 at 11:58pm

And it’s been since 1998 I saw a entertainment tonight segment with many clips of her Velma. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2454Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/14/22 at 10:37am

No word on the "new" Velma or Billy that start today?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ElphabaGoodman
#2455Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/14/22 at 10:43am

ACL2006 said: "No word on the "new" Velma or Billy that start today?"

Amra-Faye Wright and Tom Hewitt, through April 10

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2456Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/14/22 at 11:27am

ElphabaGoodman said: "ACL2006 said: "No word on the "new" Velma or Billy that start today?"

Amra-Faye Wright and Tom Hewitt, through April 10
"

Sigh... So boring and stale.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Nolan LuPone
#2457Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/14/22 at 11:38am

ElphabaGoodman said: "Amra-Faye Wright and Tom Hewitt, through April 10"

I can't say I'm surprised, but I am disappointed. VERY disappointed. This show doesn't have much longer.

Updated On: 3/14/22 at 11:38 AM

BrodyFosse123
#2458Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/14/22 at 11:45am

Here’s hoping they are able to achieve another clever stunt casting to join Pamela Anderson’s run.  Add some spark and excitement to the show.  These insanely talented understudies and fill-ins make zero impact to the marketing.  No one is returning to see CHICAGO for those talented “who?” performers.  Pamela Anderson just sparked excitement to the show and I know a handful of people flying from Los Angeles to see her.  Even if she doesn’t sing a note or dances more than wiggle - people are excited AND tickets are now selling.  

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#2459Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/14/22 at 12:50pm

JBradshaw said: "And it’s been since 1998 I saw a entertainment tonight segment with many clips of her Velma.

"

I feel like I've seen a picture of her before, maybe it was in one of the souvenir programs? I have a bunch from Broadway and London, I'll have to take a look if I can unearth them. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

JSquared2
#2460Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/14/22 at 1:07pm

Nolan LuPone said: "ElphabaGoodman said: "

I can't say I'm surprised, but I am disappointed. VERY disappointed. This show doesn't have much longer.
"

People have been saying that since 2002.

Nolan LuPone
#2461Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/14/22 at 1:58pm

I understand that JSquared, but it's getting to a critical point. We are struggling through a pandemic. Over 6 million people are dead and billions of dollars are lost. Chicago is losing more money now than they have in decades due to the shutdown of Broadway. Frankly, no one cares about Chicago if they can't stunt the whole playbill. It's unfortunate, but it's the truth.

JSquared2
#2462Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/14/22 at 2:02pm

Nolan LuPone said: "I understand that JSquared, but it's getting to a critical point. We are struggling through a pandemic. Over 6 million people are dead and billions of dollars are lost. Chicago is losing more money now than they have in decades due to the shutdown of Broadway. Frankly, no one cares about Chicago if they can't stunt the whole playbill. It's unfortunate, but it's the truth."

Panic panique panik GIF on GIFER - by Beazefyn

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#2463Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/14/22 at 2:53pm

Was Tom Hewitt on as Billy Flynn not too long ago?  I would love to see Ryan Silverman or Tony Yazbek as Billy.  The news of AFW as a returning Velma was interesting.  It is in the best interest of the show to develop new Velmas.  Lana Gordon is busy with Hadestown.  I'm surprised Terra C hasn't been offered Velma for the most recent availability.  There hasn't been a celebrity Velma in eons.  It's probably because the role demands a great deal in many ways.  How I wish I could see Hayley Swindal as Mama this week!  I happen to like that the Chicago understudies are being given opportunities to perform in their roles.  That's why they're there...even if some scoff at them.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

pattilupony
#2464Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/14/22 at 3:18pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Was Tom Hewitt on as Billy Flynn not too long ago? I would love to see Ryan Silverman or Tony Yazbek as Billy. The news of AFW as a returning Velma was interesting. It is in the best interest of the show to develop new Velmas. Lana Gordon is busy with Hadestown. I'm surprised Terra C hasn't been offered Velma for the most recent availability. There hasn't been a celebrity Velma in eons. It's probably because the role demands a great deal in many ways. How I wish I could see Hayley Swindal as Mama this week! I happen to like that the Chicago understudies are being given opportunities to perform in their roles. That's why they're there...even if some scoff at them."

Anyone know what happened to Bianca? She just disappeared. Yesterday was supposed to be her final performance. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#2465Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/14/22 at 9:32pm

pattilupony said: "Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Was Tom Hewitt on as Billy Flynn not too long ago? I would love to see Ryan Silverman or Tony Yazbek as Billy. The news of AFW as a returning Velma was interesting. It is in the best interest of the show to develop new Velmas. Lana Gordon is busy with Hadestown. I'm surprised Terra C hasn't been offered Velma for the most recent availability. There hasn't been a celebrity Velma in eons. It's probably because the role demands a great deal in many ways. How I wish I could see Hayley Swindal as Mama this week! I happen to like that the Chicago understudies are being given opportunities to perform in their roles. That's why they're there...even if some scoff at them."

Anyone know what happened to Bianca? She just disappeared. Yesterday was supposed to be her final performance.
"

It sadly looks like Bianca and Charlotte are done with the production, they just can't keep up anymore 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

pattilupony
#2466Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/15/22 at 12:35am

blaxx said: "pattilupony said:
Anyone know what happened to Bianca? She just disappeared. Yesterday was supposed to be her final performance."

It sadly looks like Bianca and Charlotte are done with the production, they just can't keep up anymore
"

Bianca is in her forties, and perfectly capable of still handling Velma (and jumping over to the other with a day's notice). Clearly something happened this month but I hope she's alright!

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2467Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/15/22 at 12:44pm

Does anyone remember who would be considered the last "celebrity" Velma?  The only name that comes to mind is Jasmine Guy.  Now that would be inspired casting if the Weisslers would contact her.  I know I would LOVE to see Lynda Carter or Lucy Lawless as Mama.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 3/15/22 at 12:44 PM

Nolan LuPone
#2468Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/15/22 at 12:48pm

Pia Douwes?

BrodyFosse123
#2469Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/15/22 at 2:01pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Does anyone remember who would be considered the last "celebrity" Velma? The only name that comes to mind is Jasmine Guy. Now that would be inspired casting if the Weisslers would contact her. I know I would LOVE to see Lynda Carter or Lucy Lawless as Mama."

Lynda Carter played Mama Morton in London in 2005.  Scroll up as I posted a photo and her singing “When You’re Good to Mama” (I’m not reposting it again).

And yeah, looks like Jasmine Guy was the last “celebrity” to play Velma Kelly (in 2000).  There have been other notables like Vicki Lewis, Caroline O’Connor, and Deidre Goodwin, but no one as recognizable as Jasmine.  All the stunt casting of the female principals were done with Roxie and Mama Morton.  

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2470Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/15/22 at 5:02pm

Two words:  Rachelle Rak!   i would love to see her as Velma Kelly.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2471Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/15/22 at 5:23pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Two words: Rachelle Rak! i would love to see her as Velma Kelly."

Considering he FOSSE past, I'm surprised it never happened. She was always a name that I wonder why never did it. She teaches a lot now, so not sure if she's still interested, or ever was.

BrodyFosse123
#2472Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/15/22 at 5:44pm

ACL2006 said: "Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Two words: Rachelle Rak! i would love to see her as Velma Kelly."

Considering he FOSSE past, I'm surprised it never happened. She was always a name that I wonder why never did it. She teaches a lot now, so not sure if she's still interested, or ever was.
"

Sadly, she’s a little bit of a wackadoo firecracker that many producers try to stray from.  She’s a focus in the 2008 documentary about the casting of the 2006 Broadway revival of A CHORUS LINE.  She was one of the finals for Sheila.  Let’s just say, her colors weren’t on best display.  Ouch.  You can see why she wasn’t cast.  

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#2473Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/15/22 at 5:59pm

thanks.  She ain’t in them. Khandi only did less than a month.  She screamed the score.  Was so bad/good. 

everythingtaboo said: "JBradshaw said: "And it’s been since 1998 I saw a entertainment tonight segment with many clips of her Velma.

"

I feel like I've seen a picture of her before, maybe it was in one of the souvenir programs? I have a bunch from Broadway and London, I'll have to take a look if I can unearth them.
"

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#2474Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 3/15/22 at 6:05pm

celeb Velma’s are rare. 
you’re forgetting Sharon Lawrence  

mya who rehearsed like crazy had promos but due to an injury. I still consider her a Velma  

xena Lucy only did Hollywood.  

i wouldn’t expect Terra back  we’re friendly and she said precovid no more Miss Kelly  

BrodyFosse123 said: "Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Does anyone remember who would be considered the last "celebrity" Velma? The only name that comes to mind is Jasmine Guy. Now that would be inspired casting if the Weisslers would contact her. I know I would LOVE to see Lynda Carter or Lucy Lawless as Mama."

Lynda Carter played Mama Morton in London in 2005. Scroll up as I posted a photo and her singing “When You’re Good to Mama” (I’m not reposting it again).

And yeah, looks like Jasmine Guy was the last “celebrity” to play Velma Kelly (in 2000). There have been other notables like Vicki Lewis, Caroline O’Connor, and Deidre Goodwin, but no one as recognizable as Jasmine. All the stunt casting of the female principals were done with Roxie and Mama Morton.
"

Videos