pixeltracker

Jewel, Karen Olivo, John Tartaglia, et al. Set for NBC Broadcast of Macy's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular

Jewel, Karen Olivo, John Tartaglia, et al. Set for NBC Broadcast of Macy's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1Jewel, Karen Olivo, John Tartaglia, et al. Set for NBC Broadcast of Macy's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular
Posted: 7/3/09 at 11:27am

NBC's live broadcast of the Macy's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular will include performances by Grammy Award winner Rob Thomas, multi-platinum singer-songwriter Jewel, and Tony Award winner Karen Olivo and the cast of the Broadway revival of West Side Story. In addition, Shrek star John Tartaglia will be interviewed live by hosts Tiki Barber and Natalie Morales. The broadcast will air on July 4, 9-10pm EST.

For the first time since 2000, Macy's Fireworks will return to the Hudson River to honor the country's independence and to kick off the 400th anniversary of the exploration of the Hudson River by Henry Hudson on his ship, The Half Moon. This year's fireworks spectacular will feature more than 40,000 brilliant shells exploding over New York City at a rate of more than 1,500 shells per minute.

For more information, visit www.nbc.com.

http://www.theatermania.com/new-york/news/07-2009/jewel-karen-olivo-john-tartaglia-et-al-set-for-nbc_19937.html

kchenofan Profile Photo
kchenofan
#2re: Jewel, Karen Olivo, John Tartaglia, et al. Set for NBC Broadcast of Macy's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular
Posted: 7/3/09 at 11:31am

Tony winners Idina and Audra McDonald's vocals will be used for Stephen Flaherty and William Schermerhorn's "American River Suite" as part of the Macy's 4th of July Fireworks celebration. Their voices will also be accompanied by the Choir Academy of Harlem.

As reported on the Idina Menzel website

kchenofan's computer is broken right now. This is her fridge. Now, you can leave a message, but say it slowly, so I can write it on a post-it note and stick it to myself.

sn2214
#2re: Jewel, Karen Olivo, John Tartaglia, et al. Set for NBC Broadcast of Mac
Posted: 7/3/09 at 11:45am

I wonder what will happen to WSS on July 4th evening performance. Will their section be pre-recorded? I got matinee tickets for WSS that day so I'm a bit worried about missing Karen Olivo!!

alightinthedark23 Profile Photo
alightinthedark23
#3re: Jewel, Karen Olivo, John Tartaglia, et al. Set for NBC Broadcast of Mac
Posted: 7/3/09 at 12:44pm

I love how WSS is billed as Karen Olivo and the cast of West Side Story. It shouldn't be any other way.

"It's about the Benjamins, not the Bernsteins."-CapnHook

whsprint
#4re: Jewel, Karen Olivo, John Tartaglia, et al. Set for NBC Broadcast of Mac
Posted: 7/3/09 at 10:28pm

West Side Story and Jewel were prerecorded on Thursday night.

Jewel sang her rendition of God Bless America and West Side Story sang America (when they say the cast of West Side Story, they really meant 7 cast members)

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#5re: Jewel, Karen Olivo, John Tartaglia, et al. Set for NBC Broadcast of Mac
Posted: 7/4/09 at 10:37am

Are they doing the dancing? Or just singing?

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#6re: Jewel, Karen Olivo, John Tartaglia, et al. Set for NBC Broadcast of Mac
Posted: 7/4/09 at 11:20am

I would think it's pre recorded without the dancing. I believe that the song is going to be used as background music to the fireworks.

But, the question that I am wondering is this. If they have the cast album out of West Side story with Karen et al, then why would they spend the money to rerecord it when they can just use the new cast recording?

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#7re: Jewel, Karen Olivo, John Tartaglia, et al. Set for NBC Broadcast of Mac
Posted: 7/4/09 at 9:01pm

Of course he pronounced her name wrong.

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#8re: Jewel, Karen Olivo, John Tartaglia, et al. Set for NBC Broadcast of Mac
Posted: 7/4/09 at 9:08pm

How little prep do you have to do to get one of the major act's name wrong?

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#9re: Jewel, Karen Olivo, John Tartaglia, et al. Set for NBC Broadcast of Mac
Posted: 7/4/09 at 9:28pm

Wow, its a Stephen Flaherty-palooza tonight.

fetzles1490
#10re: Jewel, Karen Olivo, John Tartaglia, et al. Set for NBC Broadcast of Mac
Posted: 7/4/09 at 9:31pm

Hah, every song so far has been by Stephen Flaherty. Audra sounded beautiful as always. Idina sounds better than I've heard her in this song too.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#11re: Jewel, Karen Olivo, John Tartaglia, et al. Set for NBC Broadcast of Mac
Posted: 7/4/09 at 9:32pm

Wow! Idina sounds absolutely fantastic!!

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#12re: Jewel, Karen Olivo, John Tartaglia, et al. Set for NBC Broadcast of Mac
Posted: 7/4/09 at 9:34pm

Was the singing live cause they never showed the singers.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#13re: Jewel, Karen Olivo, John Tartaglia, et al. Set for NBC Broadcast of Mac
Posted: 7/4/09 at 9:36pm

per Playbill.com:

"Flaherty (Ragtime, Once on This Island, The Glorious Ones) was commissioned to write "American River Suite" ? featuring lyrics by William Schermerhorn ? to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the exploration of New York Harbor and the Hudson River."

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

fetzles1490
#14re: Jewel, Karen Olivo, John Tartaglia, et al. Set for NBC Broadcast of Mac
Posted: 7/4/09 at 9:36pm

No, I think both songs were recorded. Otherwise I'm pretty sure they'd have shown Audra and Idina.

givesmevoice
#15re: Jewel, Karen Olivo, John Tartaglia, et al. Set for NBC Broadcast of Mac
Posted: 7/4/09 at 9:37pm

yeah, the Playbill article also says the vocals were prerecorded.
Flaherty, McDonald, Menzel and West Side Story Featured on Macy's 4th of July Celebration

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Edna Turnblad Profile Photo
Edna Turnblad
#16re: Jewel, Karen Olivo, John Tartaglia, et al. Set for NBC Broadcast of Mac
Posted: 7/4/09 at 9:40pm

The Playbill.com article said that Idina and Audra and the Choir were prerecorded. The whole John Tartaglia thing was crap! He didn't say anything! It was just him smiling and waving.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#17re: Jewel, Karen Olivo, John Tartaglia, et al. Set for NBC Broadcast of Mac
Posted: 7/4/09 at 9:47pm

Audra and Idina both sounded great. So glad Stephen Flaherty got so much exposure tonight. The fireworks were stunning this year.

alightinthedark23 Profile Photo
alightinthedark23
#18re: Jewel, Karen Olivo, John Tartaglia, et al. Set for NBC Broadcast of Mac
Posted: 7/4/09 at 9:50pm

I agree, I thought Idina sounded great. It was obvious though that it was pre-recorded.

"It's about the Benjamins, not the Bernsteins."-CapnHook

givesmevoice
#19re: Jewel, Karen Olivo, John Tartaglia, et al. Set for NBC Broadcast of Mac
Posted: 7/4/09 at 10:01pm

How little prep do you have to do to get one of the major act's name wrong?

probably the same amount you get when you show the wrong actor during the Tony Awards, or spell their name wrong in an article.