pixeltracker

SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!

SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!

Rachel Rubenstein Profile Photo
Rachel Rubenstein
#1SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/12/09 at 12:21pm

hey fellow broadway lovers!

my high school theatre dept. is taking a trip to New York in October.
what musicals would you recommend we try to see?
we are going to see 4.

I know shows, but I am having a really hard time picking just 4!!

thanks!!!

WishingOnlyWounds2
#2re: SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/12/09 at 12:36pm

next to normal
Billy Elliot
Hair (but you may need parent consent for that)
In The Heights

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#2re: SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/12/09 at 12:44pm

I would suggest 2 plays - 1 off Braodway, 1 on-Braodway and 2 musicals 1 off and one on. This will give the students a great idea of what true theatre is/can be.

Avoid the obvious tourist trap shows; No PHANTOM, SHREK, WICKED or MAMMA MIA. If your dates work out, take in a preview of RAGTIME (one the best "big" musicals of the past dozen or so years.) It starts previews October 23.

The play OLEANNA will be starting previews around that time and might also be of great interest to theatre students.

As for an off-Broadway musical, what about THE FANTASTICKS as it nears its 50th anniversary. Or (bending the rules a bit) NEXT TO NORMAL which is an off-Broadway show transplanted to Broadway.

Check out Playwrights Horizons or The Public Theatre towards the end of August for their fall play line up to see an off-Broadway play.

How big a group will this be? You may score some excellent group discounts if its 20 or more.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

AndAllThatJazz22
#3re: SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/12/09 at 1:27pm

frontrowcentre2 is a smart guy, but I'm going to have to disagree with him this time around. While I do think it is a good idea to explore some off-Broadway shows and plays, as a theatre student myself, I can assure you that your group will probably not want to sit through OLEANNA amd RAGTIME. The 'tourist-trap' shows are probably your best bet. If you'd like to expose them to some quality theatre that they WON'T sleep through, I would HIGHLY suggest you consider some of WishingOnly Wounds's choices.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#4re: SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/12/09 at 1:33pm

next to normal
Billy Elliot
In The Heights

perfect!

frontrowcentre2
#5re: SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/12/09 at 2:06pm

Well, these are theatre students. It is not just a high school class trip. I really doubt any of them would sleep though RAGTIME. OLEANNA may be a challanging piece, but if these are theatre students I believe they will appreciate a serious drama.

While all 4 titles on Wishing's list are fine choices, you have one small and 3 big scaled musicals. I'd take N2N and one of the other three and mix it up with two plays or one play and one off-Broadway show.

Rachel, what is the general make-up of this class? Do you think they would go for some serious plays or are big budget musicals their main taste?

Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

WishingOnlyWounds2
#6re: SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/12/09 at 2:11pm

It's a theatre department, not a performing arts school(from what I gathered), they are still regular high school kids.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#7re: SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/12/09 at 2:12pm

In the Heights
Billy Elliot
39 Steps
Phantom of the Opera

People .. still love Phantom (despite what people say on here), and it is something to see if they haven't; ITH certainly appeals to a HS group, and Billy Elliot just won a slew of Tony's. The 39 Steps is funny, and it's a play.

I'm sort of with frontrowcentre...throw a play in there (whether it be Off- or on Broadway).

WishingOnlyWounds2
#8re: SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/12/09 at 2:15pm

I say you should definitely see next to normal. The high school kids are loving it!

brandontwin2 Profile Photo
brandontwin2
#9re: SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/12/09 at 2:20pm

Mix it up a little bit and see Next to Normal, Wicked (just for the experience even if it isn't the best), Ragtime, and In The Heights

thetheatrekook Profile Photo
thetheatrekook
#10re: SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/12/09 at 2:22pm

I only WISH someone had exposed me to more plays in high school - I was a musical girl all the way, and never got into straight plays until undergrad.

I would say, choose one from each of the following four categories:
1. New musical from either the 08-09 or 09-10 season
2. Revival musical
3. Broadway play
4. Off-Broadway play or musical

That way, the kids will get a taste of everything - new work, revived work, plays, and works that are a little more off the beaten path. Maybe make a list of 3-4 from each category, and have the kids choose?

www.kickfornick.com
Updated On: 7/12/09 at 02:22 PM

Dangerous Divine Profile Photo
Dangerous Divine
#11re: SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/12/09 at 2:44pm

I agree with frontrowcentre2 about giving at least one play and/or off Broadway show a try, but steer clear of The Fantastiks. The show is a yawn and a half, and the theatre that it's in is claustrophobic and uncomfortable. If you want to see four musicals, I say go for Hair, In The Heights, Next to Normal, and Ragtime (if dates fit, if not, see South Pacific). If you want to see a play, replace either Next to Normal or South Pacific with God of Carnage, The 39 Steps, or Oleanna. Or throw in an off-Broadway show in that spot; Playwrights Horizons, Second Stage, MTC, and Roundabout all are pretty good bets.

heo1128
#12re: SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/12/09 at 2:54pm

"next to normal
Billy Elliot
In The Heights"

I third this selection! If you can't get Hair, go with Wicked. It's kind of a must-do. But if you could only see one, choose Next to Normal. It's got a great rock score that's really resonating with the high school demographic, and it'll expose the kids to a unique kind of show that they'll never have seen before (and maybe won't have the opportunity to again).

Have fun! : )

Edna Turnblad Profile Photo
Edna Turnblad
#13re: SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/12/09 at 2:55pm

I just want to say, don't see PotO. Both of the groups from my school who went (a choir singing with the College choir that the director also directs, and a gifted and talented group, with which I could have gone) both saw PotO. And even though both, for the most part, nearly everybody, enjoyed it, it just is the show everyone expects people to go to.
In my opinion it's dated, horribly. See something fresh and new, like a new show from the 0809 or 0910 seasons. Maybe Rock of Ages. It is fun and enjoyable for most. But also throw in a serious play to fully round the experience.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#14re: SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/12/09 at 3:17pm

I know you said this is the theatre department, but please for the love of all that is holy, GO OVER THEATRE ETIQUETTE BEFORE YOU GET INTO THE THEATRE!! This ranges from sitting in the seat on your ticket until the entire group is seated and then if it's absolutely necessary exchange seats (and tickets) with others (this can be helped by having people who want to sit together group up as tickets are distributed so there is less "I wanted to sit with..." or "I am NOT sitting with...") to not talking or texting or playing PSPs. etc. during the show to stuff as simple as not removing flip flops and putting bare feet on the back of the chair in front of you. Oh, and don't forget the other biggie... If you're in the mezz, do NOT lean forward to see the stage unless you are in the absolute last row.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

dg22894
#15re: SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/12/09 at 3:45pm

Being in high school i saw Hair, N2N, and In the Hieghts and really enjoyed them those are my recomendations for big groups and for the 4th i say take em to a tourist show like wicked.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#16re: SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/12/09 at 3:48pm

Even if they're "regular High School kids" if it is a school trip, especially one with the school's name attached, their selections should be relevant to their theatre education. I think that's more the point being made here. While I'm sure they'd love a trip that includes Lion King, Mary Poppins, Shrek, and Wicked, how are those titles contributing to their education as theatre artists?

I think there should be AT LEAST one play included. And the off-Broadway suggestion is a good one-especially if they are looking to make it in NYC as most theatre artists do. 9 times out of 10 that's where you'll spend your time as an artist. I think a trip to a show at The Pubic or any other season theatre company would be a great idea (and I'm sure you could get a fabulous backstage tour).

jagfkb
#17re: SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/12/09 at 3:54pm

Here's my idea:
1 Tourist Trap Show (Disney, Wicked, or Phantom)
1 Play (The 39 Steps is my personal reccomendation for a high school)
1 Revival of a Musical (Try Ragtime or Hair, NOT West Side Story, just watch the movie on the bus or plane ride there)
and finally Billy Elliot.

Or, have a preview of each of the shows and let the class decide on three, and let the teachers decide on one. Just remember, keep the kids in mind when picking a show.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#18re: SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/12/09 at 4:05pm

See I think the teacher should make 3 choices (with the students in mind of course) and choose one. It's not a vacation, it's a school trip.

I hate to say it, but I think we all can figure out which 3 shows the average kid is going to choose. Because those are the ones on their radar. It's the responsibility of the educator to expand their radar.

Dollypop
#19re: SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/12/09 at 4:08pm

Please consider THE FANTASTICKS. The theatricality of the piece would appeal to theater-minded teens.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

frontrowcentre2
#20re: SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/12/09 at 4:30pm

I think so too, Dolly. That is why I suggested it.

Since Rachel says this is a theatre class but not a performing arst school, I want to revise my earlier suggestions.

I do like the idea of them seeing at least one off-Broadway show (to learn that theatre is/can be much more without all the elaborate trappings of stagecraft.) And at least one play.

For the musicals I still say avoid the obvious "tourist" shows. These are musicals that they will probably see anyhow at some point. (Specifically I am referring to the Disney musicals. PHANTOM, WICKED, SHREK and MAMMA MIA.

I think as an example of modern musical with a rock-oriented score NEXT TO NORMAL would be an ideal piece for high schoolers, and will leave them with much to think about.

For the fourth, try BILLY (although now tickets will be expensive and hard to get) or maybe WEST SIDE STORY (because it is a classic of the American musical theater) or SOUTH PACIFIC or RAGTIME if it's on by then.

Before embarking on the trip have them listen to the cast albums and read the scripts/synopsis so they know what to expect of each show. Maybe you can arrange a Q&A with cast members or a backstage tour as well.

SweeneyPhanatic
#21re: SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/12/09 at 4:52pm

On my school trip to NYC, our directors picked LES MIZ, CURTAINS, and MARY POPPINS for us to see. LES MIZ was nice, but as thrilling as I had hoped it would be. Like PHANTOM, it seemed a little clunky and dated (I love both shows, but at least I can admit they're not quite what they were in the late '80s). MARY POPPINS had a great set. CURTAINS was definitely the best show we saw on the trip, so please, do your group a favor and show them some new musicals and straight plays! I would have LOVED to have seen a play, or even A CHORUS LINE on our trip instead of MARY POPPINS. This year, my school is seeing THE 39 STEPS, and of course it's after I've graduated...

...not that it really matters, since I'll be in the city for school this fall...but still...

-- SDG

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#22re: SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/12/09 at 5:10pm

I would definitely agree that it seems that Billy would be very expensive even for a group. Back BEFORE the Tonys (before noms were even out), someone on here was advertising extra tickets his group had left at their "group price" which I think was something like $114 ~ or a whopping $6 off the weeknight price of the ticket.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#23re: SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/12/09 at 5:48pm

YOu might not even be able to GET group tix for BE for October. It really depends on how many you are taking.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

MrJNLong
#24re: SHOW ADVICE FOR HIGH SCHOOL NYC TRIP!
Posted: 7/13/09 at 4:44am

Hmmm...as a high school theatre teacher, here's what I would do:

Show 1: I agree that a straight play is a MUST. Do not let the kids think professional theatre is just flashy lights and musicals. I would pick "Hamlet" if it were me...

Show 2: "Next to Normal" the acting is superb and it really shows an up-and-coming generation of theatre-practitioners where musical theatre could be heading...

Show 3: Let the students vote between "Lion King," "Billy Elliot," and "In the Heights." All large-scale musicals that are also creatively stimulating and educational for theatre students to see what can be done on Broadway...

Show 4: I agree with the Off-Broadway recommendation...which would depend on what is playing in October...right now I would recommend "Our Town." Or if it is a musical theatre specialty group, throw in a second option from the show 3 list or maybe "South Pacific" instead.

However, for educational purposes, do NOT take the kids to "Mamama Mia!", "Rock of Ages" or "9 to 5"...in my opinion, theatre students will learn very little from those shows...
Updated On: 7/13/09 at 04:44 AM

Videos