pixeltracker

RIEDEL: Spider-Man "The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History" SHOW is OFF.

RIEDEL: Spider-Man "The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History" SHOW is OFF.

mybigsplash Profile Photo
mybigsplash
#1RIEDEL: Spider-Man "The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History" SHOW is OFF.
Posted: 8/12/09 at 11:06am

RIEDEL: Actors released from their contracts. Production Shut down. Weekly Running cost of $900,000. This Show is now OFF.

'SPIDER-MAN' A NO-SHOW

Stephen: "Could you grab me a coffee?" Me: "Would you like that with all the colors of the wind?"
Updated On: 8/12/09 at 11:06 AM

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#2re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 11:08am

Link didn't work for me.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

mybigsplash
#2re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 11:14am

Fixed!

Stephen: "Could you grab me a coffee?" Me: "Would you like that with all the colors of the wind?"

AndAllThatJazz22
#3re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 11:17am

REIDEL has 'confirmed' things that aren't true, before. He 'confirmed' that HAIR was going to play at the Neil Simon, and it ended up going to the ole Hirschy.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

mybigsplash
#4re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 11:22am

Well it doesn't take an idiot to see a 45 million dollar musical would take 5 years to recoup. The studios have pulled back their financing completely. This is just how Hollywood feels about Broadway. Wishful thinking, if you you're hoping this show will continue. And I'm one of the wishful ones, but sooner or later we'll have to get over it.

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#5re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 11:23am

"This is just how Hollywood feels about Broadway."

What??

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

AndAllThatJazz22
#6re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 11:23am

I, too, am one of the 'wishful' ones...but Michael Riedel has never been a very accurate source. I kind of find it hard to believe that these studios would fund all of this money and just back out.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.
Updated On: 8/12/09 at 11:23 AM

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#7re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 11:27am

It could well be that by shutting down now, there's a reasonable manageable tax write-off, but continuing could be a financial disaster. Maybe Max Bialystock could explain ....

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

CateBroadway Profile Photo
CateBroadway
#8re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 11:54am

Regardless of if the shut down is true or not, it sadly does seem an impractical show. It would take 10 years for that show to recoup! I feel awful for all the talented actors and crew involved in it. Still sending good vibes towards them finding a way. I've still got a will.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#9re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:06pm

I kind of find it hard to believe that these studios would fund all of this money and just back out.

They could if they signed up for a certain amount of money and then watched the budget surpass what they, orginally, agreed to.

Also, they know that a lot of people are waiting for them to fail. Earlier this week Howard Stern was mocking the fact that the show was coming. When you have the attention of people like Stern it might be time to think about what you're getting into.

Finally, a movie can recoup in a single weekend. By this point I doubt any of them are willing to wait for Spider-Man to recoup.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#10re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:30pm

"But when it comes to the greatest supervillain of them all -- The Rieder"

What an ego, what an a$$.

mybigsplash
#11re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:35pm

Lets all blame Riedel for the failure of this show! Obviously the business plan was perfect.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#12re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:40pm

SPIDER MAN not a success? HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN????????

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#13re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:41pm

Now it will only exist in my heart

i am the one Profile Photo
i am the one
#14re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:44pm

I wonder how many Band-Aids it will take to put the Hilton back together now...

Everywhere like such as.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#15re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:47pm

I wonder how many Band-Aids it will take to put the Hilton back together now...

Maybe Shrek will let them borrow all the king's horses and all the king's men

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#16re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:52pm

Wait, I gotta get in one more. Here's my Mia Farrow in ROSEMARY'S BABY:

NOOOOOOO! IT CAN'T BEEEEEEEEEEEE!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali
Updated On: 8/12/09 at 12:52 PM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#17re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:53pm

What actors were on contract?
Did they announce a cast other than Wood and Cummings?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#18re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:55pm

".but Michael Riedel has never been a very accurate source."

Yes, he has.

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#19re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:57pm

It would take longer than 10 years! To run the show for a year would take almost $52 million! Thats more than the initial investment they need to earn back. Even if this is a hit, it will be a feat just to get in the green.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#20re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:57pm

:: clap clap clap!:: now do, "WHAT HAY YOU DONE TO HIS EYES?!" Borstel

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#21re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 1:01pm

so... how much money was already put into it?

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#22re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 1:02pm

Rosemary's Baby - The Musical!

....but the world goes 'round

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#23re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 1:05pm

Thank you, LJay. I don't know what AllThatJazz means by saying that Riedel is not an accurate source. He may be mean-spirited, acerbic, an egomaniac, and hateful at times but his reports are almost always true.
He first mentioned the possibility of a play starring Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig long before it was announced. He is the first one who said that Hope Davis, Marcia Gay Harden, James Gandolfini, and Jeff Daniels were in talks to star in the Broadway transfer of GOD OF CARNAGE (months later all four were officially announced). He first broke the news about 9 TO 5's closing. He also mentioned that YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN dropped the St.James (where everyone thought Brooks would open his new show) to get the Hilton instead. Later, he said that SPIDERMAN was set on that theatre. And even on the SPIDERMAN front, he is the one who first talked about Alan Cumming being in talks to play Green Goblin.
Of course a lot of the negotiations he reports on fall through, and I'm sure at times some of his gossip is just gossip, but to say that he has "never been an accurate source" is just not true.
Having said all that, I do not get what his vicious attacks to this show from day one have been about. I think it could have been a great theatrical experience (or not), especially with Taymor involved. Oh well.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

beautywickedlover
#24re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 1:17pm

If this is true, then bring "The War Horse" to the Hilton.

Videos