pixeltracker

The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread- Page 4

The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#214re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/12/09 at 9:01pm

sorry bout that - it's all reposted and formatted correctly as to not be too wide

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

BumbleWumble
#75re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/13/09 at 12:17am

Haha, someone over at ATC screen capped her assistant's twitter.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2802/picture2lve.png

I for one find this highly amusing.

dr_jekyll Profile Photo
dr_jekyll
#76re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/13/09 at 12:17am

I think this has been a teachable moment for Daryl and probably for others in the industry, especially those who sit behind the table.

I am not defending what she did, but I don't think she deserves THIS.... a gigantic thread on a public forum that bears her name and has some people characterizing her as some kind of evil renegade casting director.

There are innumerable casting directors, assistants, accompanists, directors, musical directors and producers who have behaved disrespectfully and even with actual meanness toward actors during auditions but in my time perusing this board I don't recall them being called to the carpet like this.

SporkGoddess
#77re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/13/09 at 12:19am

Jeez, the assistant is even worse. At least she made hers private though.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#78re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/13/09 at 12:23am

No, you're right. She deleted it. Who cares, enough people saw it anyway (re: the Wiccan skirt comment).

She's been deleting tweets from her Twitter page that others here have pointed out, including one about good auditions, so "no snarky tweets yet" or something to that extent.

Seems like her pianist feels the same way:

Our pianist is concerned that I'm twittering about each person. I'm not. Just those that upset me. 4:45 PM Jun 29th from web

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 8/13/09 at 12:23 AM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#79re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/13/09 at 12:26am

Hey Craig, I'm not sure if it's just me or if this is happening for other people, but something weird seems to be up with the formatting of the thread. Every time it goes to a new page, for the first few replies, one of your old posts jumps to the top in place of someone else's.

dr_jekyll -- a thread that "bears her name"? It's not like BWW is outing her. The Twitter account HAS HER NAME ON IT. There didn't have to be a message board thread to attach her name to her actions. All of the comments in question are there for people to see. She has slapped her name onto the comments herself. Stop placing blame where it doesn't belong. Daryl is an adult with her own company, she can take responsibility for her statements, and for how they make her look. We're not the ones making her look like an idiot; she took care of that herself.

Hopefully, if nothing else, yes, it will be a lesson learned, because apparently she has a lot of learning to do.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 8/13/09 at 12:26 AM

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#80re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/13/09 at 12:28am

luvtheEmcee - it is happening to me too. I also made a post that somehow disappeared between the pages, so I just reposted it. Must be a coding issue.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 8/13/09 at 12:28 AM

#81re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/13/09 at 12:38am

haha lizziecurry. your post made me laugh.

anywho, i dont think its an issue. i find the tweets amusing and helpful. theres nothing wrong with some honesty and freedom of speech.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#82re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/13/09 at 12:44am

Thanks, BumbleWumble. Hilarious!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

AEA AGMA SM
#83re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/13/09 at 12:45am

Ms. Eisenberg is not the only one at fault here. If the directors and producers she is working with are not comfortable with these essentially live feeds from their audition rooms they need to speak up. She is under their employ during auditions and any employer who does not have the spine to take an employee to task for inappropriate behavior is not necessarily somebody I would want to be working for.

Clearly Equity needs to take action and update their audition codes to reflect the changes in technology and our society's ever increasing inability to disconnect and focus on one task at a time.

I do believe there is a certain amount of confidentiality implied by entering the audition room and this feels like a violation and one step down a potentially slippery slope. Once this kind of "live feed" from the audition room becomes common place, what's the next step?

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#84re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/13/09 at 12:52am

Streaming videos of auditions so Daryl Eisenberg's fans can join in live with snarky comments, and an online poll for who should get cast!

/tongue-in-cheek

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

TheatreDiva612 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva612
#85re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/13/09 at 1:08am

Casting Director Paul Russell blogs about this debacle- http://answersforactors.wordpress.com/

LizzieCurry
#86re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/13/09 at 1:11am

Nicely said: Ms Eisenberg you have violated the trust of those who came before you. Artists who bared their talents in exchange for an offer of work; a chance to earn monies for food and rent. An audition is when the actor is often at their most vulnerable emotional state. An actor faces many challenges in their career. As casting directors we should be there as support for the artist. A casting director is nothing more than glorified human resources and any casting director who gives themselves "power" over an actor is not a collaborator of the arts but a dilettante. We are not to place ourselves upon pedestals. We don't hire. We're traffic managers bringing in and out of the audition room a flow of talent. We're personal shoppers and nothing greater.

Here's the direct link to that entry in case he's blogged about something else since: http://answersforactors.wordpress.com/2009/08/13/a-casting-directors-rude-behaviour/

Updated On: 8/13/09 at 01:11 AM

proptart101
#87re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/13/09 at 1:11am

Current favorite ATC post - one with reason.

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=1761332
link here

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood. " - Tom Robbins

evolutionrevolution
#88re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/13/09 at 1:12am

I have been a member of AEA for 20 years and don't care about how "safe" the room is I am auditioning in. Well, as long as no one is going to shoot me or sick their pit bull on me.

My job is to go into the room give it all I got and hope I am right for the part. Period. No casting director, assistant or anyone is going to distract me. I'm a pro and can handle anything they will throw at me. The same can be said onstage. A cell phone ringing only puts me more in my character. I am up for any challenge and dare anything or anyone to try and break me.

It did happen once. Because the theatre was on fire but they almost had to drag me offstage until I smelled smoke and realized what was what.

I understand everyone's frustration but maybe something positive can come out this. Clearly, we are in a new age and things need to be addressed. Some of the things tweeted were completely out of line but at the same time this is a great opportunity for Equity to enter into the 21st century. The "this is how we always do things" mentality only holds back progress. I know that she and her assistant have made rude remarks and certainly didn't realize the backlash they would receive but there is an old saying, "..there is no such thing as bad press."

I am not excusing anything. She made her bed, she has to lie in it but I'm sure there will be 100 actors to replace the 5 or 10 who will never attend her calls again.

I bet her Twitter page will be very quiet tomorrow too.
Updated On: 8/13/09 at 01:12 AM

broadwayguy2
#89re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/13/09 at 1:15am

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Paul Russell.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#90re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/13/09 at 1:16am

I do think that what she did was wrong and she should get punished accordingly. She is right that there is freedom of speech but that doesn't justify what she did. Furthermore, who ever said that we are at fault for making something out if this is wrong. She posted these comments in a public forum under her name. Therefor, we are not at fault for starting or even escalating this. In a way she dug her own grave when she started to post these comments signed with her name.

Funny enough, I do get any and all twitter updates sent to my phone (I have gotten something like four total ever since I signed up for twitter) and on my way home on the train back to long island I got a text from her twitter saying that she sent her response to the situation to BWW and that she is off to bed. Should be interesting to see what happens in the morning when it is posted on this site.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Updated On: 8/13/09 at 01:16 AM

proptart101
#91re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/13/09 at 1:25am

I agree with the ATC poster who likened this to inappropriate headset chatter.

It happens to (almost) everyone, at some point or other. You make what you think is a cutesy comment about somebody, thinking there's only one or two other people on the channel, when lo and behold, you find there's a speaker in the dressing room, an open biscuit backstage, or just a previously quiet person listening in. For most, that embarrassing (and potentially hurtful) moment occurred in high school, college or community theater - a lesson learned the hard way and taken to heart long before B'way ever enters one's goals.

In this day and age we have nothing more than professionalism to dictate that one does not use social networking to complain, berate, or even praise another in what should be a purely professional situation.

Our working guidelines and rules may not have caught up with technology, but that is no excuse. Doing what is allowed is not the same as doing what is right.

Putting your opinions into the public sphere is not being a professional.

Treating others with respect and courtesy, especially in the work place, is.

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood. " - Tom Robbins
Updated On: 8/13/09 at 01:25 AM

LizzieCurry
#92re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/13/09 at 1:29am

http://twitter.com/DECasting/status/3279805143

Just sent off my official response to BroadwayWorld.com. Off to bed! #BwayTwitterGate

HAHAHA! This should go well. (And I wonder how quickly that hashtag will be picked up... or ignored.)

Updated On: 8/13/09 at 01:29 AM

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#93re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/13/09 at 1:31am

The fact that she's still referring to it as "Twittergate" tells me that she feels no true remorse over what has unfolded and is not taking any responsibility for her actions. Naming it only trivializes it.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

AEA AGMA SM
#94re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/13/09 at 1:47am

I'm going to disagree with the headset chatter analogy. This is something that was deliberately put out there for anyone and everyone to read. This is not an accidentally overheard conversation.

defscott627
#95re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/13/09 at 3:25am

I am interested to see how DECasting responds. From their tweets, it does not seem that they are ready nor willing to issue an apology. I think the more they defend their very public and snide comments, the deeper they are digging themselves.

It's really just an issue of professionalism - free speech or not. If you are in some sort of position of 'authority,' for lack of a better word, you need to have some sort of tact.

Although not the same situation, this reminds me of a few years back when teachers/educators made some sort of website similar to ratemyteachers.com; however, the roles were switched, and they were making comments about their students. I know it's different in that most of the students posting on ratemyteachers are minors and the teachers posting on their website were obviously all educated adults, but to me, it is that same idea of professionalism. It is just extremely unprofessional and basically distasteful.

Actors already audition essentially powerless, and DECasting's judgmental tweets on them create such a hostile environment - shame on them; they should know better.

LoveIsCompany
#96re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/13/09 at 6:05am

Here's the thing: DECasting won't respond because chances are she doesn't view what she has done as wrong. It's sad, but she probably doesn't. Paul Russell elaborated what I had essentially said earlier, she destroyed the essential trust between casting director and actor. It's just that simple. Considering I knew her during her NYU days, I won't go into detail about how her parents basically gave her trust fund access to begin her company, and how she only takes on "freebie" cliental (I mean, there's a reason as to why she was let go from Gossip Girl.)

Again, she was nothing but pleasant towards me in the numerous times we have met in the room, but her actions have essentially blacklisted her. Some of you my laugh when you read that last sentence, but just you wait. I can guarantee you that Equity will make an issue of this, and her already diminished reputation will only sink further.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#97re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/13/09 at 8:34am

In this society, where people are attracted to those in the limelight, no matter why, I wouldn't be surprised if this helps her business. yech. Maybe she did it on purpose for that reason.

Remember-"there's no such thing as bad publicity."

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#98re: The Daryl Eisenberg Twitter Thread
Posted: 8/13/09 at 9:40am

This is not the same as inappropriate headset chatter, or offcolor comments contained within a room. Those are not cool, sure.

Her stupid, unprofessional comments were PUBLISHED.

Published.

Published.

Why do these tiny brains not understand this Worldwide Interweb thingy? It's a potential hookup to everyone with a computer in the entire world.

Small minds can't grasp this. They think they're really "nice people" who are just having some fun, because they're bored with their own job at the moment. The attention in the room isn't on THEM. It's on someone else, every five minutes. For the whole long day. Narcissists can't stand that idea. So they must have an audience to show the world that they're still very important.

At the expense of other people who are hoping to land a job and pay their bills. People who might have been nervous preparing or even worried for days about this one moment in front of her.

She disgusts me.

I'm really glad that other casting director weighed in. Daryl Eisenberg is a disgrace to the profession. I hope this teaches her a lesson. She's the one who needs to learn something about the audition process.

She just showed the entire world that she knows nothing.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22