Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages

NakedMaid Profile Photo
NakedMaid
#1Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 10:11pm

So, Kerry Butler was at ROA tonight with producers and a script in her lap following along!
Obviously this doesn't mean much more than them considering her and vise versa. We saw C. Jackson and several others back at NWS when they were looking for replacements for Will S.
But we do know that Savannah is not resigning!

SO - I'm looking forward to other replacement options!

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#2re: Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 10:13pm

What is NWS?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#2re: Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 10:13pm

Ohh come on Kerry! You have originated 4 roles & your going to accept the second replacement in 'Rock of Ages' of all shows?

NWS= New World Stages
Updated On: 8/25/09 at 10:13 PM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#3re: Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 10:16pm

NWS = New World Stages

TheatreFan4 - hey, it's a job. It's a paycheck. And until CATCH ME IF YOU CAN makes the transfer to Broadway, it's what is going to put money in the bank and food on the table.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

millie_dillmount
#4re: Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 10:17pm

What is wrong with being a replacement? Just because someone has originated quite a few roles doesn't mean they should avoid being a replacement in a show. Maybe she is really interested in doing it and likes the material. Not to mention, it is a paycheck.

I don't understand why people think being a replacement is necessarily a step down.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#5re: Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 10:19pm

This makes sense because not to long ago Constantine had some cryptic message about Kerry on his twitter.

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

TheatreFan4
#6re: Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 10:19pm

But I'm sure ANY other show would be happy to have her. Just not Rock of Ages.

millie_dillmount
#7re: Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 10:21pm

We don't know what/if she was offered anything else, and maybe she wants to do this.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#8re: Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 10:26pm

Hmmm, so I guess Catch Me won't likely be happening or if it does Butler (whose part really should be cut) won't be in it.
Updated On: 8/25/09 at 10:26 PM

TheatreFan4
#9re: Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 10:29pm

Why would it not happen(/Butler not be in it)? Aren't they looking to open in the Spring? Sept. to say March (to accommodate rehearsals) could work.

millie_dillmount
#10re: Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 10:29pm

Well, isn't there some time until Catch Me is supposed to come to Broadway? If Kerry is in fact considering Rock of Ages, it would probably be to fill a time gap until Catch Me transfers to Broadway (as CapnHook mentioned).

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#11re: Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 10:30pm

It might not mean that at all. At this point, I'm guessing the soonest it would happen would be AFTER the first of the year...and probably not until the end of the season.

In the meantime, a girl has to eat!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#12re: Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 10:32pm

Regardless I honestly wouldn't be shocked if they cut Butler's part. It really needs to go. There's no reason for the character whatsoever. She could easily be played by a chorus member if they wanted to mention her or make her appearance brief (as it should be).

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#13re: Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 10:36pm

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN has no set dates for a New York run. There a lot of variables in play (including real estate and the future of Norbert Leo Butz's television show) that will determine when a transfer comes to fruition.

The spring of this season is what they're hoping for, but there's a possibility it may not even happen until the fall of next year. I wouldn't be surprised if Butler took on another project given the opportunity, though she'll probably also negotiate an out in her contract to cover whatever it is that does happen with CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.

Whenever the show does happen, rest assured she'll be part of it. Remember that several members of the creative team will be busy with the London production of LOVE NEVER DIES after the new year, so that's also a factor.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 8/25/09 at 10:36 PM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#14re: Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 10:40pm

I just don't get why they think Butler's role is necessary. It really stops the second act dead in its tracks.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#15re: Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 10:42pm

If you get rid of Brenda you have to gut the last two thirds of the second act. Not that I would miss the sing along number, but really what do you fill up that time with? It's nearly a half hour that you can't just eliminate. You also need to establish the set-up with Frank going to the airport.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#16re: Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 10:47pm

On a different note, Kerry might get me to see this show.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#17re: Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 10:47pm

They could have easily had a number/sequence where he's trying to get out of operating. There could be more tension between the cat and mouse game between the two men. I think that a scene between the two would be fine but why does he have to go to her home? I find his methods of fraud much more captivating than his relationship with Brenda. I think they're really missing out on the why and how of what he did. Not only in the first act but the second. They also could move parts of the first act into the second. As is, I'd say the show needs at least 30 minutes trimmed off.

This of course won't happen but I think if they leave the Brenda bit as is, it's going to turn of audiences and critics.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#18re: Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 10:52pm

Do you think the character would work if integrated into the first act, Bobby?

One of the criticisms I've heard from people who saw the show was that Brenda just comes out of nowhere in the second act and all of a sudden has immense importance.

Maybe it would work better if she was involved in the story earlier on? As you said, they're definitely not going to cut the role, but I think they're certainly going to look at how to establish her within the story.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 8/25/09 at 10:52 PM

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#19re: Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 10:55pm

Yup. I was sitting right across from Kerry. Script and note pad in hand. And from I could tell, she thoroughly enjoyed the show.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#20re: Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 11:00pm

I think the main problem with the show in general is that they lose the chase aspect of the story. I think this is a story that could thrive from being broken up and not told from a linear place. So absolutely, if he encountered her at the hospital, briefly mind you, in Act I it'd make some of the stuff less abrasive. I also think they need to decide which to keep: their love duet or "Fly, Fly Away". The later just comes out of nowhere but could work if we saw him "flying away" if you will while she sang. It's just not a story that benefits from the pastiche numbers currently in place.

Another huge mistake, and it reminds me of the main flaw in Dessa Rose, of all shows to compare it to, is giving away the ending at the beginning. It makes the show have zero suspense.

There's also an unwillingness to have the Tviet and Butz stories on stage at teh same time. The black and white detective world is very reminiscent of City of Angels and I wonder if they're tryin not completely steal the idea. I'd love to see the show again, with Butler's stuff most intact, with the scenes played together in some way on stage. There's no reason that that big stage needs to be devoted to one story at a time. I think if they got a bit more inventive the show would really thrive. They have something there but the two biggest crimes are O'Brien's lack of creativity in his direction and McNally's lack of inventivemess in his book.

This show would really benefit from musical numbers that have transitions in them ala Legally Blonde. I'd like to see what Mitchell would do if he was given both tasks.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#21re: Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 11:00pm

Interrogated? What is the character being accused of illegally doing? I think you meant 'integrated'.

It made me giggle!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Malice Profile Photo
Malice
#22re: Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 11:01pm

What was the cryptic message anyway? Like others said I would defintely see Rock of Ages then. I am still mourning Xanadu closing.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#23re: Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 11:02pm

Cousin of mine who lives in Seattle saw it and he felt that if they had any smarts they would have put Brenda somewhere in the first act that way we the audience knows about her. He isn't even into theatre as much as we are and he was even able to notice that there was a problem with the character not being there.

I think that if there is that much of a problem to the point of it being noticeable to those who don't go to or analyze theatre as much as us on this forum then there is in fact a problem with that plot line of Catch Me If You Can.

As for Kerry in Rock Of Ages, so what if she does it. We all know how hard it is to get a job in this economy and I have heard that it is even harder getting one as an actor. A job is a job, why should it be frowned upon that she is doing a replacement gig. I would never understand why people would consider that to be somewhat of a demotion or a step in the wrong direction when it comes to acting and doing theatre.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#24re: Kerry Butler - Rock Of Ages
Posted: 8/25/09 at 11:03pm

Why would they need to put Brenda in the first act? He doesn't meet her til a little ways in.