#1Patti LuPone Send in the clowns
Posted: 9/28/09 at 1:07am

Patti LuPone singing Send in the Clowns
LINK :)

Edna Turnblad Profile Photo
Edna Turnblad
#2re: Patti LuPone Send in the clowns
Posted: 9/28/09 at 6:49am

Now, I'm not a Lupone fan, but this wasn't terrible. Not great, but not terrible. Just fair. I was surprised that I didn't hate it. But I just don't like her voice, here, though, it was better, it worked here. Did that make sense?

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#2re: Patti LuPone Send in the clowns
Posted: 9/28/09 at 9:33am

Personally, I like the Glenn Close version better. That song requires a strong actress, and while Glenn's singing voice isn't everyone's cup of tea, she quietly acts the hell out of it.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

dchesnutny Profile Photo
dchesnutny
#3re: Patti LuPone Send in the clowns
Posted: 9/28/09 at 12:48pm

i love it.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#4re: Patti LuPone Send in the clowns
Posted: 9/28/09 at 3:14pm

One of my most cherished memories is seeing Patti sit on the lip of the stage of the Westport Country Playhouse and deliver this song to a teary-eyed Steve.

She owns it. This version isn't as good as she has done it, but it's still wonderful and magical.

Here's hoping for THE LADY WITH THE TORCH... STILL BURNING... 2!

P

pc1145N2 Profile Photo
pc1145N2
#5re: Patti LuPone Send in the clowns
Posted: 9/29/09 at 8:28pm

I was there for this performance....it was wonderful.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#6re: Patti LuPone Send in the clowns
Posted: 9/29/09 at 9:14pm

"She owns it."

It wasn't awful, but it's done better by many others. It's ridiculous to say she owns it. If anyone 'owns' it, I'd say it's Judi Dench.

Dench

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
Updated On: 9/29/09 at 09:14 PM

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#7re: Patti LuPone Send in the clowns
Posted: 9/29/09 at 9:30pm

Love Patti, but I have to agree about Dame Judi owning it.

I had seen Dame Judi singing it on youtube and thought it was great, but I never really "got" that song until I saw this clip of Florence Henderson singing it on the Brady Bunch Variety Hour. It was my own personal Send In The Clowns lightbulb moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJlnox1I7Xs

I was watching this, completely mesmerized, and thinking, "Gosh, Judi Dench did a truly magnificent job with this song!"

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#8re: Patti LuPone Send in the clowns
Posted: 9/29/09 at 10:27pm

To say that I don't care for Cruella's voice is an understatement. However, it could be worse. Can you imagine Harvey Fierstein "interpreting" that song? He's a legend in the theatre world. I love his acting. But.... everytime I hear him on the XM Radio Broadway channel in my car, I either turn it off or switch to the Pop Escape channel. His "singing"..if you can call it that, makes Lauren Bacall's voice seem much more appealing in comparison. That's all.. from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#9re: Patti LuPone Send in the clowns
Posted: 9/29/09 at 11:38pm

She is just not right for Desire, no matter her talents as an actress and interpreter of lyrics. Whats up with that Dolly Parton mop?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#10re: Patti LuPone Send in the clowns
Posted: 9/29/09 at 11:42pm

No one owns this song except Glynis Johns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAl-EawVobY

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#11re: Patti LuPone Send in the clowns
Posted: 9/29/09 at 11:51pm

here here Pal Joey

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#12re: Patti LuPone Send in the clowns
Posted: 9/30/09 at 7:45pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghd5weu5Mpg

step aside, Babs is here.