pixeltracker

Kenny Ortega hits "Heights"- Page 2

Kenny Ortega hits "Heights"

Josh Freilich
#25re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/15/09 at 5:03pm

I also agree with round2.
And the fact that Kenny has worked with Michael Jackson (one of LMM's fave artists -- remember when the curtain call music switched to "Beat It" on his last night?) is going to help things a LOT!

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#26re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/15/09 at 5:10pm

"And the fact that Kenny has worked with Michael Jackson (one of LMM's fave artists -- remember when the curtain call music switched to "Beat It" on his last night?) is going to help things a LOT!"

How? Why? His connection to Michael Jackson would have no direct impact on the ITH movie... unless I'm missing something.

When I think about you, I touch myself.
Updated On: 12/15/09 at 05:10 PM

Beautiful_City2
#27re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/15/09 at 5:44pm

What about Rita Moreno? I could see her as Abuela.

maliatkb8
#28re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/15/09 at 7:41pm

I would like to at least see Karen Olivo play Vanessa.

alightinthedark23 Profile Photo
alightinthedark23
#29re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/15/09 at 9:03pm

I definitely agree with Jennifer Lopez as Daniela. I think that is the perfect role for her. At first I heard this news and I didn't like it but now I think it is a good thing. He has made High School Musical a success on the screen. I also like having Lin as Usnavi. I think it will be different than the Rent movie because he created the role and I think he would be most comfortable with it.

TheatreFan4, I never thought about having George Lopez in the movie. I don't know though, I think he would be a better Kevin in my opinion.

Edit: I'm one of Karen Olivo's biggest fans but I definitely think they should shy away from using the original cast. We all saw what happened when they did that in Rent. I wouldn't be totally upset about it though. I would love to see her play the role again

"It's about the Benjamins, not the Bernsteins."-CapnHook
Updated On: 12/15/09 at 09:03 PM

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#30re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/15/09 at 9:09pm

Wouldn't mind Rosario Dawson as Vanessa. Or, perhaps Christina Aguiler. Actually, if Aguilera was just a bit younger she'd be a phenomenal Nina.

Trish2
#31re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/15/09 at 9:29pm

Is Andy B. choreographing?

BroadwayBound92 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound92
#32re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/15/09 at 10:24pm

For me, this could go either way. On one hand, he could use the same directorial approach that he did with "Newsies," and make it a potential box-office success, and a damn good adaptation of the show. On the other hand, he could use the same directorial approach, that he did with the famous garbage that is the "High School Musical" trilogy (with a fourth movie, on its way), and screw it up completely. I sincerely hope for the former, and I believe it's what we will receive, given that Mr. Ortega has seen the stage play, several times and has a deep admiration for it. If not? Well, maybe the film's casting will be its saving grace. I'd personally can't wait to see who plays Nina (she's my favorite character in the musical).

Jon
#33re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/16/09 at 1:40pm

Kenny Ortega will be choreographing.

I'm liking the idea of Chita or Rita as Abuela.

Maybe Ruben Blades as Kevin?

ktabianchi Profile Photo
ktabianchi
#34re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/16/09 at 7:37pm

LOVE the idea of Alexa Vega as Nina.

I would love to see Ana Ortiz or Sara Ramirez as Daniela.

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#35re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/16/09 at 8:37pm

I do like the idea of Sara Ramirez for Daniela!

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#36re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/16/09 at 10:18pm

alightinthedark23, How would Lin being involved with this as an actor who created the role be any different then the Rent film? In the film version of Rent, everyone of the leads, sans two, originated their roles.

It wouldn't shock me to find out that they are using Lin in the role for the film because they wanted to go with an unknown film actor for the role. And, they figured why not go with the person who did it originally on stage.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Jon
#37re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/16/09 at 10:58pm

Actually, JLo is 40 - old enough to play Camilla. With Marc Anthony as Kevin?

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#38re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/16/09 at 11:00pm

You're smoking some crack.

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#39re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/16/09 at 11:01pm

Jon, I was thinking that as well, but I didn't know if I would get slaughtered on here for saying she could play a mother.

I think Chita as Abuela would be a little to eccentric. I could see her playing lavish proper Abuela rather than sick and feeble Abuela. But hey, if she is picked, I'd love to see her prove me wrong!

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#40re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/17/09 at 10:39am

I think Ortega's direction of HSM is better than his direction of Newsies. He is older and more experienced, and HSM3 was actually enjoyable. That doesn't mean he uses either approach to a film version of ITH.

Still, a film version of ITH is going to be problematic. The suits will probably think it too "latin" or "hispanic". The issue may end up being how do you make it so that ITH plays well outside the US? Because, that's where its box office is likely to come from. What is the biggest grossing "hispanic" film in the US? Box Office Mojo doesn't even have a category for hispanic film. That's what the film is up against - and putting JLo in it is not going to sell US tix. Dreamgirls domestic B.O. was only 103M. Thus, casting likely will depend on the talent the producers can get "cheap" and given the lack of success of "original cast" films of Rent and Producers which were much bigger stage hits than ITH. So, if you can't market it as a "musical" and you can't market it as "hispanic" film - how do you market it?

Now back to the fun - Edward James Olmos would bring back sweet memories of Zoot Suit.
As opposed to the original cast of Rent, LMM is not too old to be playing Usnavi in the film. Even if FB says Usnavi is only 24. I'd prefer Rita Moreno over Chita Rivera for Abuella.
So long as there are no Estevez/Sheens in the film!

alightinthedark23 Profile Photo
alightinthedark23
#41re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/17/09 at 10:48am

Winston, I personally think that because he actually wrote the music and then created the role there is just more comfort level there. I just think it is a safer bet for Lin to play the role than say some random Hollywood actor. I also said it would be different than Rent because instead of getting the whole OBC in the movie you need actors who are familar with film. The rent movie was just awkward and I think a bad idea. I honestly disliked the movie.

"It's about the Benjamins, not the Bernsteins."-CapnHook

bluewave
#42re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/17/09 at 7:39pm

I think we are all passing over the probable choice (although not my choice) for Nina given that Kenny Ortega is the director: Vanessa Hudgens. This might help them sell the younger crowd on the movie version as well.

Arielle Jacobs who plays Nina in the tour cast also starred as High School Musical's Gabriella in the stage tour so it makes some sort of twisted sense to go with the original HSM's Gabriella for the part of Nina with Kenny directing.
Updated On: 12/17/09 at 07:39 PM

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#43re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/17/09 at 7:57pm

She'd make a better Carla. She couldn't possibly sing any of Nina's songs.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#44re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/17/09 at 8:14pm

I can't imagine the powers that be will be concerned about whether Hudgens can sing Nina's songs or not. They'll cut them, change them, lower the keys, write new ones for her, etc. This movie is almost impossible to cast. They'll get whatever Latino pseudo stars they can get their hands on.
I honestly think this will be a big fiasco on screen, especially since they are going for a poppy, Disney-fied tone if they hired Ortega as the director. I think the material could have been much more interesting with some more interesting filmmakers.
Lin starring in this is completely different than the RENT people, especially since he is the writer himself so he can change and adapt the material to suit his abilities/shortcomings. However, he won't sell a single ticket so I do wonder what kind of money they are expecting to make with him as the lead.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#45re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/17/09 at 8:23pm

I know IMDb is not the most reliable source, but is this really coming out in 2010?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1321510/

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#46re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/17/09 at 8:26pm

First official press photo of Ana Ortiz as Daniela in Kenny Ortega's highly anticipated film adaptation of the Broadway musical IN THE HEIGHTS:

re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#47re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/17/09 at 8:29pm

I'd say 2011 at the earliest. Ortega made HSM3 for $11 million dollars. If he can make ITH for $20-30 mil, then I think the film will definitely be profitable. And, if it's really good, and garners buzz during awards season, it'll be do just fine at the box office.

But, things can easily go wrong.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#48re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/17/09 at 8:54pm

Brody, love Anna Ortiz! She IS Daniela. Still, I can see them going for a name like Jennifer Lopez, instead. I highly doubt they'll care about her age.
Rita Moreno as Abuela seems inevitable, kinda like Sophia Loren as Mama in Nine.
I can't see them trying to present IN THE HEIGHTS as an awards contender. They'd do much better if they went the way of HAIRSPRAY and released it as a summer movie that's not trying to get awards. I loved IN THE HEIGHTS on Broadway but don't really think there's enough substance there to make it a compelling film, especially if directed by Kenny Ortega who isn't exactly what I'd call a creative genius or visionary.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#49re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
Posted: 12/17/09 at 9:04pm

Usnavi- Lin-Manuel Miranda
Abuela- Rita Moreno
Vanessa- Rosario Dawson
Kevin- Antonio Banderas
Camila- Gloria Estefan
Daniela- Jennifer Lopez
Carla- Vanessa Hudgens
Benny- Keith Robinson