pixeltracker

Parts of A Show That I Never Got- Page 3

Parts of A Show That I Never Got

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#50re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/23/09 at 1:36pm

Sauja - No, there is no flirtation on the doctor's side of things...it's just Diana misinterpreting things.

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

MeganW Profile Photo
MeganW
#51re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/23/09 at 1:36pm

I always assumed the "waiting in the car" line to emphasize how Diana's disease makes her misconstrue interactions, especially with her doctor.

If people have split views about your work, I think it's flattering. I'd rather have them feel something about it than dismiss it.
Stephen Sondheim

bestoffates.com

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#52re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/23/09 at 1:45pm

If anybody saw the Spamalot in Chicago, what was the point (the cut scene)of The Lady of The Lake as a the cow? I assume to be on the stage more at any costs?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#53re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/23/09 at 1:50pm

What the heck does "I'm buying gravity" mean?

Well, if you're referring to the line in Defying Gravity, it refers to the line preceding it. Here it is in context:

"Too long I've been afraid of
Losing love I guess I've lost.
Well, if that's love
It comes at much too high a cost!
I'd sooner buy
Defying gravity"

She'd rather fly away than face her true emotions.

I don't think Wicked's lyrics are as horribly atrocious as some people make them out to be (and not sure how they "break" any "rules"). I don't think they're the greatest I've heard, but there is a good deal that is witty, clever and appropriate. I've certainly heard much worse.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

bwaylvsong
#54re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/23/09 at 1:51pm

Re: Ragtime ages, I always thought Mother was about 28 and her Younger Brother was 19 or 20.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#55re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/23/09 at 1:52pm

strummergirl, maybe it was spoofing Gypsy? I didn't see it, so I don't know.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#56re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/23/09 at 2:08pm

If anybody saw the Spamalot in Chicago, what was the point (the cut scene)of The Lady of The Lake as a the cow?

I did attend an early preview and there was another cut scene where The Lady of the Lake was the accused witch as well. The early concept was that everyone would play a variety of characters except Tim Curry, who would only play King Arthur as the axis to the plot. But the Cow Song was mostly a pointless attempt at characterizing an iconic non-character from the film and it ground the show to a deadly halt. She's a Witch was a clever song, but it was too long. I think with the Cow Song gone, the witch number went as well and The Lade of the Lake would become the single role for Ramirez and balance out the single role of King Arthur as permanent fixtures throughout the show. The show did work better with the cuts, in my opinion, but they should have kept the witch number and given the role of the witch to one of them men, which I think would have been funnier.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Elke Profile Photo
Elke
#57re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/23/09 at 2:32pm

Thanks for helping me out with the "waiting in the car" line. :) I get it now, even though I still find it an awkward moment.

AwesomeDanny
#58re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/23/09 at 2:44pm

I believe she is misinterpreting her doctor's words because it fits with lyrics in the song, like "and though he'll never hold me, he'll always take my calls" and "it's like an odd romance", suggesting that she is confused by the doctor-patient relationship.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#59re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/23/09 at 2:53pm

I've always taken it that she's simply showing a sense of humor, teasing the doctor a bit for his kind words.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#60re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/23/09 at 5:44pm

I disagree with the teasing, I agree with the above post, their relationship is blurred, and these lines help to illustrate the confusion.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#61re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/23/09 at 5:48pm

"I've always taken it that she's simply showing a sense of humor, teasing the doctor a bit for his kind words.

"
I've always taken it that t she was bat**** crazy and thought the doctor was hitting on her (which has the added bonus of being funny). Is this wrong? lol.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 12/23/09 at 05:48 PM

angelxschunard Profile Photo
angelxschunard
#62re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/23/09 at 7:42pm

Elle is pretending to be excited. Emmett's gift is a bad one because you're never supposed to use two-in-one shampoos and conditioners. Paulette is excited because of all the things Emmett could have gotten her, he gets her a haircare product. Her gestures afterwords have nothing to do with the present. She's telling Elle that she likes him and that Elle should make a move, just...not in so many hand gestures.

Into the Woods, Beauty and the Beast, RENT, Mamma Mia!, Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, Evita (with Julia Murney), Hairspray (with Paul Vogt), Peter and the Starcatchers (with Christian Borle), Lion King, Altar Boyz, Legally Blonde (with Lauren Zackrin).

Felm_heart Profile Photo
Felm_heart
#63re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/23/09 at 8:33pm

Could the "waiting in the car" line from N2N also be Diana saying that her low libido comes from the bad marriage (Dan waiting in the car instead of supporting her.) and not the medicine? I think this because Diana says, "Whether it's the medicine or the marriage is anybody's guess." And Madden says, "I'm sure it's the medicine." Then Diana says, "That's sweet [to think it's the medicine] but my husband is in the car. [he isn't supporting me, he's crappy, so that's why I don't wanna screw him.]" Am I completely off base on that?

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#64re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/23/09 at 9:35pm

Felm_heart, I would have to disagree with that interpretation, b/c the entire song, "who's Crazy?" is about how he does support her. He drives her to these appointments day after day always hoping that things will get better, to the point that he is doubting his own sanity.

Edna Turnblad Profile Photo
Edna Turnblad
#65re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/23/09 at 9:49pm

A few things.
1. I think that Elle is not really excited, but is making it over-the-top because he made his delivery of "Shampoo and conditioner in one" over-the-top. I think she really did appreciate the gift, for its thoughfulness.
2. Speaking regarding someone saying that there's a lot in Rent that doesn't make sense if you look too close, there is a lot in a lot of musicals that doesn't make sense after watching them several times. Also, saying what someone said before, if Larson had lived longer, he may have changed these things, maybe, but since he didn't, they changed little.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#66re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/23/09 at 10:23pm

I can't believe people need explanations to anything in Legally Blonde.

How could Dan "waiting in the car" be indicative of him not supporting her? Is he supposed to go into her therapy sessions with her? This is psychiatric treatment, not marriage counseling. Whether you take it to mean that Diana is just making a joke or an indicator of her thinking the doctor is trying to seduce her, all it means in terms of Dan's involvement is literally that he drove. The other characters mention multiple times that Diana can't drive. Yes, there is that other mention of "the one who just waits in the car" in Who's Crazy, but it's from Dan's point of view, and that's a different story. There, it's a matter of him wondering whether he's crazy for staying with her through all of the hell.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 12/23/09 at 10:23 PM

MyLife
#67re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 12:30am

The whole point of the psychopharmacologist... song is that she sees that there is something, but he doesn't reciprocate (obviously because it's all in her head). Take the line "He knows my deepest secrets / I know his name." So it makes sense than that Diana perceives Dr. Fine's reassurance that it is the medicine slowing down her sex life as flirting.

threetwoone Profile Photo
threetwoone
#68re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 12:51am

Felm_heart, if it makes you feel any better, that is how I interpreted the line. In my mind, it will still mean that too, even if it may be wrong.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#69re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 1:09am

I always took the "in the car" line to be a "you don't have to lie to me since he is not in the room to hear you" since he says that the no sex drive could be the medicine and not just the marriage.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

binau Profile Photo
binau
#70re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 1:23am

^ That also makes sense, a lot of sense actually. I never knew this line was so ambiguous lol.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Elke Profile Photo
Elke
#71re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 1:36am

spiderdj82, you win! That explanation makes most sense. It's nice to see how one line can have so many interpretations.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#72re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 1:51am

HOORAY! Do I get a cookie?

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Elke Profile Photo
Elke
#73re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 2:00am

No cookie, let's stick to the N2N theme... re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got

re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#74re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 2:31am

Just as good :)