pixeltracker

BILLY ELLIOT Recoups $18 Million Investment

BILLY ELLIOT Recoups $18 Million Investment

WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#1BILLY ELLIOT Recoups $18 Million Investment
Posted: 1/13/10 at 3:38pm

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/13/billy-elliot-recoups-original-18-million-investment/

"The Broadway producers of Billy Elliot: The Musical announced on Wednesday afternoon that they have recouped their original $18 million investment in 14 months of performances, with premium ticket prices helping earn back that capitalization at a faster clip than they initially expected."

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#2BILLY ELLIOT Recoups $18 Million Investment
Posted: 1/13/10 at 3:41pm

Yay! Good for them! Very well-deserved.

bythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
#2BILLY ELLIOT Recoups $18 Million Investment
Posted: 1/13/10 at 3:52pm

Yay!!!

And hang on, when did you win the discus?

bway1261
#3BILLY ELLIOT Recoups $18 Million Investment
Posted: 1/13/10 at 3:59pm

Congrats to them!

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#4BILLY ELLIOT Recoups $18 Million Investment
Posted: 1/13/10 at 4:14pm

So great.

Hank
#5BILLY ELLIOT Recoups $18 Million Investment
Posted: 1/13/10 at 4:15pm

No surprise here, and well deserved.
Good show, mates!

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#6BILLY ELLIOT Recoups $18 Million Investment
Posted: 1/13/10 at 5:43pm

YEA! maybe they can discount their tickets now lol

Has the student rush resumed yet?

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#7BILLY ELLIOT Recoups $18 Million Investment
Posted: 1/13/10 at 5:54pm

They have no reason for them
to discount since they have the market.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#8BILLY ELLIOT Recoups $18 Million Investment
Posted: 1/13/10 at 6:09pm

Good for them!

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

averagebwaynut Profile Photo
averagebwaynut
#9BILLY ELLIOT Recoups $18 Million Investment
Posted: 1/13/10 at 6:23pm

Bravo Billy!

FYI, they actually are doing some discounting, though not of the super-cheap single ticket variety some may be seeking.

But they do have an Early Bird group offer for the Fall which I just received via email from Broadway.com and the discounted tickets, while not "cheap" by any means, are an improvement on the standard 10% that many shows offer. Honestly, I'm actually a little surprised to see them with a group discount better than 10% off in only the second September of their run.

"No matter how much you want the part, never let 'em see you sweat." -- Old Dry Idea commercial

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#10BILLY ELLIOT Recoups $18 Million Investment
Posted: 1/13/10 at 7:11pm

Fabulous news about an absolutely fabulous show. They give 100% in every aspect of the show and the public (obviously) recognizes and appreciates it.

Now that they have recouped, they can afford to start offering some small discounts so I imagine that's why you're seeing them now. It certainly isn't because they can't sell tickets!

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

#11BILLY ELLIOT Recoups $18 Million Investment
Posted: 1/13/10 at 7:25pm

I'm surprised there having two tours running in the fall.

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#12BILLY ELLIOT Recoups $18 Million Investment
Posted: 1/13/10 at 7:50pm

Good for them!

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

sking
#13BILLY ELLIOT Recoups $18 Million Investment
Posted: 1/14/10 at 12:15am

Sweet finally!!!humm doing simple math 995000 per week nut(counting ALL costs)...OMG!!! That needs to be trimmed a bit.

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#14BILLY ELLIOT Recoups $18 Million Investment
Posted: 1/14/10 at 12:58am

^^ That's completely inaccurate and you're taking zero variables into account. Fail. ^^

When I think about you, I touch myself.

sking
#15BILLY ELLIOT Recoups $18 Million Investment
Posted: 1/14/10 at 1:21am

overall grosses minus 18 million equals total cost of running show since opening divide by number of weeks equals weekly costs. Ok its not what is really defined as the weekly nut but it IS the average costs counting royalties etc etc and at least just over that period of time perfectly accurate as too whats payed out too everyone but the original investors. Yes figuring it this way is variable week to week but since opening as an AVERAGE its accurate. If Im wrong feel free to tell me I certainly may be. Either way either royalties are thru the roof on Billy or WOW costs are high...WSS was less then 800k doing same math i believe.I'm really understanding now why Barney keeps correcting people on their math on weekly costs, so much is not added in when it should be(even if variable). So what will Spiderman have to average again to break even in 5 years...ouch.

Fosse76
#16BILLY ELLIOT Recoups $18 Million Investment
Posted: 1/14/10 at 11:29am

"I'm surprised there having two tours running in the fall."

The producers are confident that the "tour" in Chicago will be a sit-down. It's selling so well on Broadway they have no problem believing a second tour will be successful. Since they had to gurantee a minimum length-of-stay at the Oriental Theatre, it's likely they wanted to get going in other markets before that end date.

#17BILLY ELLIOT Recoups $18 Million Investment
Posted: 1/14/10 at 11:46am

As of now, tickets for the Chicago production are only on sale till July.

Videos