Send In The Clowns Lyrics

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#1Send In The Clowns Lyrics
Posted: 4/3/10 at 1:49am

Everyone says that the song is about different subjects, what is this song about to you?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2Send In The Clowns Lyrics
Posted: 4/3/10 at 1:50am

Desiree

muscle23ftl
#2Send In The Clowns Lyrics
Posted: 4/3/10 at 1:57am

'But where are the clowns?
Quick, send in the clowns.
Don't bother, they're here'

'And where are the clowns?
There ought to be clowns.
Well, maybe next year'

I don't get that she says the clowns are here and then she says "maybe next year", those lyrics seem a little confusing to me. It might be a language issue though.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#3Send In The Clowns Lyrics
Posted: 4/3/10 at 2:03am

It's because between those two verses Frederik (effectively the other clown) leaves her.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4Send In The Clowns Lyrics
Posted: 4/3/10 at 2:04am

I think you are being too literal. I am sure you know the song isn't actually about clowns.

Watch this if you haven't seen it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWC5qfVnsVs

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#5Send In The Clowns Lyrics
Posted: 4/3/10 at 2:06am

I think it's about that crazy clown who shoes people offstage at the Apollo.

muscle23ftl
#6Send In The Clowns Lyrics
Posted: 4/3/10 at 2:15am

Thanks Chewy and ljay, It makes more sense now.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#7Send In The Clowns Lyrics
Posted: 4/3/10 at 2:21am

The whole 'clown' thing is because their relationship - and everyone else's in the show - has become as ridiculous as a circus.

I think that is the simplest way to describe the song.

muscle23ftl
#8Send In The Clowns Lyrics
Posted: 4/3/10 at 2:35am

That makes sense. The 1st time I saw this show(with a friend from San Francisco in the same city), he said that it was like she was going through rough times and she said "send in the clowns" like let's bring the entertainment to avoid being sad, but I think your definition makes more sense.

Yankeefan007
#9Send In The Clowns Lyrics
Posted: 4/3/10 at 8:50am

I always thought the song was a reference to Pagliacci, a role Desiree has always wanted to play Send In The Clowns Lyrics.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#10Send In The Clowns Lyrics
Posted: 4/3/10 at 9:00am

she does have a lonely heart, like Pagliacci. And lots of wavy hair like Liberace.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#11Send In The Clowns Lyrics
Posted: 4/3/10 at 9:35am

I think it is as simple as "be careful what you wish". She REALLY, REALLY wants the clowns, but when she actually SEES the clowns she changes her mind and tells the clowns, basically, "Um, that's okay, maybe next year, huh? Bye bye"

PEACE.

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#12Send In The Clowns Lyrics
Posted: 4/3/10 at 10:38am

Thanks for posting the video, ljay.

I had NO idea the line "dont bother they're here" implied that "dont bother, because we [the characters] are the fools"

...slow on the uptake

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#13Send In The Clowns Lyrics
Posted: 4/3/10 at 10:43am

It's a great song and I think open to interpretation in many ways, like most artistic masterpieces. I've thought of the song in many different ways based on the delivery.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#14Send In The Clowns Lyrics
Posted: 4/3/10 at 11:58am

I've thought of the song in many ways based on what was happening in my life.

Madcap Maisie Profile Photo
Madcap Maisie
#15Send In The Clowns Lyrics
Posted: 4/3/10 at 5:27pm

Its one of those wonderful songs that, when taken out of context, can mean a variety of things to the listener depending on their circumstance. It is a very beautiful song, and has brought me to tears many times.

I absolutely love Kimilee Bryant's version off of her My Favorite Things CD.

"You know what really makes me mad? When girls think they can sing just because they are on the Disney Channel."

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#16Send In The Clowns Lyrics
Posted: 4/4/10 at 12:22am

German figure skating pair Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy skate to Send in the Clowns... dressed as clowns. It's a lovely performance, but someone needs to tell them the song is not about clowns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K2Eo1BND9A

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#17Send In The Clowns Lyrics
Posted: 4/4/10 at 12:26am

I never thought of Desiree referring to Fredrik and herself as the clowns. I always took the song as a sort of surrender and resignation. After Fredrik leaves her, she has nothing else to really care about, and the whole affair has become completely ridiculous and almost comical to her. Hence the line, "There ought to be clowns."

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#18Send In The Clowns Lyrics
Posted: 4/4/10 at 12:28am

muscle23ftl
#19Send In The Clowns Lyrics
Posted: 4/4/10 at 12:53am

*spoiler*

I enjoyed this current Bway production, but I wish he had left her in the end, for some reason.

Videos