beans

lynnetoomey
#1beans
Posted: 5/10/10 at 1:41am

Updated On: 5/10/10 at 01:41 AM

PReeves2 Profile Photo
PReeves2
#2Douglas Hodges..am I the only one finding him awful???
Posted: 5/10/10 at 1:48am

you are not alone. I felt the same thing. Thought he was doing an exact copy of Nathan Lane from Birdcage. While well executed it wasn't in any way original for the material that was written.

gcontini2 Profile Photo
gcontini2
#2Douglas Hodges..am I the only one finding him awful???
Posted: 5/10/10 at 8:40am

I'm with you. I thought his performance was tiresome to watch as he seemed to hoard and strain every moment into his own over-the-top-imitation of someone else's take on someone else.. (I don't know whose, just that none of it seemed authentic).
I saw the show weeks ago, and had settled for chalking it up to one of those "maybe I saw him on an off night?", but now that you've brought it up, I can also say I just don't feel the special love...I don't think he was particularly funny or original in the role and - boy can he NOT sing.

Updated On: 5/10/10 at 08:40 AM

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#3Douglas Hodges..am I the only one finding him awful???
Posted: 5/10/10 at 8:51am

Who is Douglas Hodges? Never heard of him.

Oh, you mean Douglas Hodge. Sorry. When I care enough about someone's performance to devote a thread to it, I show them enough respect to make sure their name is spelled right.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

Albin Profile Photo
Albin
#4Douglas Hodges..am I the only one finding him awful???
Posted: 5/10/10 at 9:26am

"Who is Douglas Hodges? Never heard of him.

Oh, you mean Douglas Hodge. Sorry. When I care enough about someone's performance to devote a thread to it, I show them enough respect to make sure their name is spelled right"

MAN there are alot of bitchy queens here...

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#5Douglas Hodges..am I the only one finding him awful???
Posted: 5/10/10 at 10:09am

I really enjoyed his performance. I've only seen 2 other ZaZas - Hearn (who was a big shchlub in a gown) and Beach (who was good for community theatre). Hodge seemed like an authentic drag performer (of a certain school) to me. And I appreciated the European sensibility he brought.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#6Douglas Hodges..am I the only one finding him awful???
Posted: 5/10/10 at 10:12am

Thought he was doing an exact copy of Nathan Lane from Birdcage.

Whether you like his performance or not, what he's doing in this production is about as far from Nathan Lane you can get. If you want to see an exact copy of Nathan Lane in The Birdcage, search for videos of Gary Beach in the last revival.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#7Douglas Hodges..am I the only one finding him awful???
Posted: 5/10/10 at 11:28am

I saw the show 2 weeks ago, and thought he was wonderful.

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#8Douglas Hodges..am I the only one finding him awful???
Posted: 5/10/10 at 12:10pm

Lane was terrific in The Birdcage.

Granted I have only seen on-line clips/ numbers, Hodge seems nothing like Lane to me. Beach was much more in the Lane ballpark.

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#9Douglas Hodges..am I the only one finding him awful???
Posted: 5/10/10 at 12:10pm

Saw the original cast twice, saw the revival once very disappointed, saw all three of the French movies as well as the Birdcage...and felt this version sublime. To me it was the definitive version, heart felt and far removed from Hearns hamminess. I LOVED this production, moreso knowing I paid $65 while the guys seated one foot away paid $350.

this was the hardest I laughed at La Cage since the original film with French subtitles.

Holbee
#10Douglas Hodges..am I the only one finding him awful???
Posted: 5/10/10 at 12:16pm

You might not be the only one...but those of you who actually find him "awful"....I really don't know what to say....I guess I feel sorry for you...

gcontini2 Profile Photo
gcontini2
#11Douglas Hodges..am I the only one finding him awful???
Posted: 5/10/10 at 12:37pm

^ hmm... given the title and subject line of this thread, maybe you should post on one those many other threads where you can say you loved Hodge's perfomance, rather than say we are wrong and you feel sorry for us for having a different opinion.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#12Douglas Hodges..am I the only one finding him awful???
Posted: 5/10/10 at 1:11pm

I thought he was just fine. I left more impressed with Grammer. Some people are treating Hodge's performance like it's Patti LuPone in Gypsy or Christine Ebersole in Grey Gardens. It is far from that type of performance for me.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#13Douglas Hodges..am I the only one finding him awful???
Posted: 5/10/10 at 1:20pm

His performance makes a complete mockery of the entire show. I found nothing real or heartfelt in his entire performance. I felt as if I were watching a bad Jerry Lewis movie...am I the only one??

I think so. I don't think there has been a single post that expressed any displeasure in Hodge's performance until this started was started.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#14Douglas Hodges..am I the only one finding him awful???
Posted: 5/10/10 at 1:21pm

^ I cannot tell if you are being sarcastic or not. But some people definitely have expressed displeasure in Hodge's performance before on here.
Updated On: 5/10/10 at 01:21 PM

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#15Douglas Hodges..am I the only one finding him awful???
Posted: 5/10/10 at 1:28pm

Do you think they would ever bring Nathan Lane and Robin Williams into this revival of La Cage. I would LOVE to see both of them take on their roles in musical form!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#16Douglas Hodges..am I the only one finding him awful???
Posted: 5/10/10 at 1:31pm

Those two men would never be replacements.