pixeltracker

Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal

Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal

kidbroadway2
#1Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/17/10 at 4:32pm

Anyone going to see him tonight or in the near future? Love to see peoples reactions and how his "I've Been" is.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#2Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/17/10 at 5:37pm

I'm seeing him Saturday. I would love to hear reviews of tonight.

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#2Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/17/10 at 5:50pm

Does anyone know how limited this engagement will be? Will he still be in it come August???

purtynpynk Profile Photo
purtynpynk
#3Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/17/10 at 5:54pm

well, Time Stands Still starts back up on September 23rd, but i'm not sure when he'll leave to restart rehearsals.

butterflyvision
#4Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/17/10 at 5:56pm

He's leaving the show mid-July. I think July 18th is the exact date.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#5Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/17/10 at 6:43pm

I'm going on May 29th and can't wait!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#6Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/17/10 at 7:30pm

I'll be there and will report back (I'm across the street at John's right now).

His last day is July 18, but he's out of the show June 30-July 11.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#7Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/17/10 at 7:42pm

Just got to theater and Jessica Phillips is on for Diana! Should be a great show!

rmusic11322
#8Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/17/10 at 7:47pm

adamgreer, you are one lucky *ss mutha' f*ucka'!

theatrespaz
#9Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/17/10 at 7:53pm

At the theatre as well in the front row of the mezz. I have no idea what to expect. This is my first time seeing the show. Have to admit I was looking forward to seeing Alice Ripley, but this will be a unique experience. Have seen several industry people already including the director Michael Greif.

Gabster
#10Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/17/10 at 7:59pm

I want to see Brian, but I think it might be a bad show, for me, because everytime I hear his voice (Videos, and in Time Stands Still) all I can think is "Shrek". I guess I'm just a closed minded audience member haha.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#11Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/17/10 at 8:55pm

Jessica! Diana! and Brian! Dan! I'm guessing will be a kick ass show. I hope Jessica is on Sunday when I go.

invisiblegirl Profile Photo
invisiblegirl
#12Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/17/10 at 9:12pm

I'm going to be there on Sunday as well! :)

theatrespaz
#13Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/17/10 at 9:13pm

Wow is all I can say. I have nothing to compare it to, but Brian is doing a great job. Powerful vocals and wonderful acting. And I would love to kill the person who had their cell phone go off during the Diana/Gabe duet.

theatrespaz
#14Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/17/10 at 10:29pm

Show just got out and it was incredible. Breathtaking performances all around and a very enthusiastic response from a fairly (I think) sold out crowd. I loved it. Brians emotion was just laid out on that stage.

kidbroadway2
#15Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/17/10 at 10:30pm

I'm so glad to hear. Can't wait to see him!

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#16Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/17/10 at 11:09pm

I saw it tonight and thought it was a great performance. I've seen it four times, and this was the first time I saw it without Alice; I had hoped she would be in for Brian's first show, but I thought Jessica's voice was gorgeous and she did a good job. At times I did miss Robert J. Spencer a bit, but Brian's performance was very emotional and I was impressed; he won me over.

TJ2
#17Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/17/10 at 11:16pm

I loved Brian! I had heard he was a stoic/emotionless Dan at Second Stage, but that couldn't have been farther from the truth tonight. He gave an emotion-filled performance and his voice is incredible. He and Jessica were wonderful together.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#18Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/17/10 at 11:54pm

He was excellent. Off to a fabulous start. He definitely plays the role much differently than he did at Second Stage (but the character was so different then). He was very passionate in the dramatic scenes, but also got a lot more laughs than other Dans in the early scenes. He plays Dan as very heroic, in contrast to Bobby who played Dan as more of a victim. It was an interesting contrast, and I enjoy both takes on the role. Brian's voice is very much like Michael Berry's- big and booming. Gorgeous sound. I've Been was gorgeous.

He had good, but not great chemistry yet, with Jessica. However, their harmonies together were TIGHT. Tonight was an incredible vocal performance. Jessica continues to be fabulous in her own right as Diana.

Very enthusiastic, sold out audience tonight, with a lot of Brian fans in attendance, as evidenced by the entrance applause he received, which threw Jessica off momentarily in the opening scene.

Of course, two completely annoying cell phones at inopportune moments- the first was in act 1 when Dr. Madden is detailing Diana's suicide attempt, the second was in act 2, right before the I Am the One reprise. Ridiculous.

ETA: Alice has been placed on vocal rest this whole week. Jess will be on all week. Updated On: 5/18/10 at 11:54 PM

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#19Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/18/10 at 12:52am

Just got back from the show and could not have been more blown away. It's no secret that I'm not a huge Next to Normal fan, but BDJ made it worthwhile. He was brilliant. I especially loved his chemistry with Jenn Damiano. It was very sweet.

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#20Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/18/10 at 2:14am

ETA: Alice has been placed on vocal rest this whole week. Jess will be on all week. NO NO NO NO NO. I am seeing it for the first time this week on Friday. Why God why?

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

rmusic11322
#21Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/18/10 at 6:27am

^ Jessica Phillips is a wonderful Diana!

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#22Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/18/10 at 6:28am

Will Jessica be on Sunday???! :)

angelplays
#23Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/18/10 at 7:58am

TJ2 - The character was pretty soulless in the Second Stage production. The character of Dan changed considerably, probably more than any other, during the Arena Stage rewrite.

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#24Brian d'Arcy James Return to Next to Normal
Posted: 5/18/10 at 8:39am

ETA: Alice has been placed on vocal rest this whole week. Jess will be on all week.

Thanks for this info! Planning a return trip for this week.

Videos