Filming A Little Night Music

Gothampc
#1Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/21/10 at 8:07am

So it's not going to happen is it? We're not going to get a video of A Little Night Music with CZJ and Angela Lansbury.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

myshikobit Profile Photo
myshikobit
#2Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/21/10 at 8:37am

When I went to see it (in awe and rapture of Sondheim's brilliance; I felt like I was in church, except I believed in the religion and knew the "Bible" by heart), there was a man behind me who taped most of the first act and some of the second. If you're resourceful and cunning, you will find a recording. No sweat.

"There are only two worthwhile things to leave behind when we depart this world of ours: children and art." -Sunday In The Park With George

Gothampc
#2Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/21/10 at 9:00am

Yes I understand there are (whispers)bootlegs out there, but I wanted a professional copy like "Sweeney" "Sunday" "Into the Woods" and "Passion".

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#3Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/21/10 at 1:10pm

This needs to stay near the top so people can freak the eff out.

Roscoe
#4Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/21/10 at 4:03pm

No, it won't be preserved.

A shame I guess. The DVD could be sent to all future companies producing the show, with the notation DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
Updated On: 5/21/10 at 04:03 PM

mybigsplash Profile Photo
mybigsplash
#5Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/21/10 at 5:04pm

^ Yeah, I would hate for any other theatre who wants to produce this show consistantly make over $800,000 dollars a week. Or have patrons easily willing to pay on average $115 dollars a ticket. Don't let that happen to your theatre!

Stephen: "Could you grab me a coffee?" Me: "Would you like that with all the colors of the wind?"
Updated On: 5/21/10 at 05:04 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#6Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/21/10 at 5:11pm

It won't!

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#7Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/21/10 at 5:23pm

Please, without Angela Lansbury and Catherine Zeta Jones, this mediocre production would have been 50% at TKTS from the start and closed by January.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

#8Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/21/10 at 5:25pm

But y'are Blanche, y'are in that chair! And Catherine Zeta Jone and Angela Lansbury ARE filling the house! They are, Blanche! They are!

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#9Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/21/10 at 6:00pm

Orange, Roscoe et. al - I am not seeing this until June 10 but wondering what specifically you think is wrong with it? Is it the performances? The Direction? The way they play the subtext?

I have seen over a dozen productions of ALNM over the years including the excellent Kennedy Center staging, Shaw festival's intimate approach and the New York City Opera's mammoth production. Even the worst community theatre staging can be salvaged by just following the script, so I wonder what people feel goes so horribly wrong in this version?

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

AEA AGMA SM
#10Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/21/10 at 6:55pm

Joe, your response definitely made me laugh.

So many what ifs with the casting. Much as I LOVE Night Music I have to agree that it would be a tough sell on Broadway these days without a star name attached as Desiree, no matter the quality of the production. Yes, many regional productions are able to sell it without a Hollywood name, but those also have the wonderful advantage of a built in subscriber base. And even then they are still attempting to cast someone of some star level as their Desiree, even if it's just the actress who has been in numerous other productions for the company that they know their core audience is familiar with and loves.

Holbee
#11Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/21/10 at 7:48pm

Perhaps lowered expectations are what you need. I saw the Trevor Nunn production in previews at the Menier and did not like his direction (or much of the casting barring Alexander Hanson and Maureen Lipman). I eventually HAD to see the Broadway version ("Night Music" is one of my fave shows, I flew to Paris last Feb to see the beautifully directed production there). And surprisingly I liked the B'way production so much more than the London Menier version. For one thing, save, Anne and Henrik, it was amazingly well acted (and that includes CZJ). Hanson had even grown deeper into the role and Lansbury found line and song readings I've never heard. As I mentioned, I've seen it alot and have NEVER heard a Petra sing "Miller's Son" the way I wanted it to be sung. It was literally a dream come true to hear Leigh Ann Larkin sing and act it. She probably wondered who that insane man in the mezzanine was who was cheering and screaming for her... I didn't like the idea of Erin Davie when I heard the casting. LOVED her. Aaron Lazar--I knew he'd be good, but MAN! I have to actually say I loved the Broadway revival.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#12Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/21/10 at 9:04pm

This mediocre production would have been 50% at TKTS from the start and closed by January.

Exactly like those multimillion dollar flops Ragtime and Finian's Rainbow? Sorry, you know I HAD to. lol.

orangeskittles
#13Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/21/10 at 10:33pm

Well, not exactly. Finian's and Ragtime both got better reviews, so the "mediocre" part wouldn't apply.

Night Music sold out the production for star power and still couldn't break even. At least Finian's Rainbow and Ragtime can say they kept their dignity.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#14Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/21/10 at 11:01pm

*snap* OHHHHHH

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#15Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/21/10 at 11:03pm

Skittles, I was just playing around. I have no reason to argue with you anymore, lol. I actually enjoy your posts for the most part.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#16Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/22/10 at 12:17am

Their dignity? LMAO. Please tell me you're kidding.

Anyways, ALNM > Ragtime. The musical and the production.

lulu10 Profile Photo
lulu10
#17Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/22/10 at 1:17am

I saw the show on Wednesday -- there were two cameras filming the performance. Not sure if it's meant for distribution, but they seemed to film the entire show. I agree that it's not the best production out there...but seeing Angela Lansbury in person was worth every penny! (CZJ was out, but her understudy was great) The Bedknobs & Broomsticks obsessed child in me giggled with glee every time she came onstage. :)

binau Profile Photo
binau
#18Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/22/10 at 1:51am

Well that's interesting. I would have guessed for the Lincoln Archives - but do they usually do the recordings this late?

(I'm guessing there is no way they'd release a commercial video without CZJ though. It's interesting that she won't be in the archive).

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 5/22/10 at 01:51 AM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#19Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/22/10 at 11:41am

CZJ appears to be coming down with a case of Donna Murphyitis

Poster Emeritus

orangeskittles
#20Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/22/10 at 1:04pm

I was kidding as well. Filming A Little Night Music I didn't dislike Night Music that much.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#21Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/22/10 at 1:09pm

Filming A Little Night Music

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#22Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/22/10 at 3:56pm

Sounds like it was filmed for Lincoln Center Archives. They film with two cameras. One in wide view and one in close up.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#23Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/22/10 at 4:00pm

So it's going to be archived without CZJ? That really blows.

Gothampc
#24Filming A Little Night Music
Posted: 5/22/10 at 10:24pm

Maybe CZJ didn't want to be filmed. Christopher Walken didn't want to be filmed for "James Joyce's The Dead" so they had to wait until after he left.

Videos