sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#52The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/22/10 at 10:04am

Taboo. What fun!

Mattbrain
#53The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/22/10 at 10:24am

Caroline or Change! I think they'd already posted their closing notice....I don't get out to New York much.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#54The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/22/10 at 10:26am

9 to 5: The Musical
and
ALL ABOUT ME (it was gaudy and goofy and I enjoyed every minute)

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#55The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/22/10 at 10:26am

9 to 5: The Musical
and
ALL ABOUT ME (it was gaudy and goofy and I enjoyed every minute)

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

kristinchenofan570 Profile Photo
kristinchenofan570
#56The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/22/10 at 10:39am

9 to 5 was definatly my favorite as well! I thought the music was really fun to listen to and the cast was great!

Remember when drama was only on the stage?

Elphie3 Profile Photo
Elphie3
#57The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/22/10 at 10:57am

Coram Boy - hands down!

Madame Morrible: "So you take the chicken, now it must be a white chicken. The corpse can be any color. And that is the spell for lost luggage!" - The Yellow Brick Road Not Taken

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#58The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/22/10 at 11:12am

I hate calling it a flop but, "Caroline or Change". I wanted to see it a second time but it closed before I got back to NYC. Had I not had shows booked to see when I first saw it I would have seen it a second time while I was there in the spring. One of my top 3 favorite shows.

Just give the world Love.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#59The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/22/10 at 11:50am

"Rags." Far from a great show, but Teresa Stratas was glorious.

romgitsean
#60The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/22/10 at 12:19pm

Well, I saw Seussical when it first opened, but I was really young, and have such vague recollections of it.

In terms of seeing live, Enron. I loved it so much, but understood why it didn't work on a *Broadway* stage right now. It's such a great piece of theatre, but it's just too real. And the show itself felt like it was meant for a smaller venue, even though the show itself felt pretty huge with the projections and killer cast.

A lot of people doubt me for loving Lestat as much as I do. I hadn't seen it on Broadway, but I have "seen" it as well. The score really wasn't the problem- I mean while the score clearly needed some work, it wasn't nearly as bad as that scrap of a book Linda Woolverton wrote. It had so much potential. Ugh. I think they honestly should've just made it an operetta, honestly. It was really inconsistant with songs vs. dialogue.

And of course, the underappreciated Lolita, My Love (which is just begging to be staged again. A reading, at the least), Woman in White (which I only have the recording of, but I heard the staging was boring) and Prettybelle (which I love it, but it is truly bizarre).

I do love Carrie too... but that's a different discussion for a different place xD

Recent Broadway and Off-Broadway:: Carrie, Merrily, Ionescopade
Next On The List :: Clybourne Park, Once, Streetcar, BOM

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#61The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/22/10 at 12:26pm

Side Show on Broadway was amazing. I love that score, but the staging and performances are emblazoned on my brain. I enjoyed Triumph of Love which I saw the night before Side Show.

But, my favorite flop musical that I have seen is The Human Comedy. I saw a production in Chicago and it has been among my favorite musicals ever since. Great cast recording!

And, yeah, I haven't seen it live but I did *see* a production of The Golden Apple and it was incredible.

Carrie's crazy but fun as all get out even with Babs Cook playing Mags White.

With Irma you gotta do something!

christian_drake Profile Photo
christian_drake
#62The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/22/10 at 1:27pm

Shrek: The Musical, which is actually my favorite show ever.

Elke Profile Photo
Elke
#63The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/22/10 at 1:33pm

I absolutely loved The Story Of My Life, which unfortunately closed after only 19 previews and 5 regular performances.

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#64The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/22/10 at 2:21pm

I'll second the motion for LaChiusa's Wild Party. I saw a production in London recently that reminded me what a work of genius it is.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

iamchanging9 Profile Photo
iamchanging9
#65The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/22/10 at 2:50pm

The Woman in White was amazing and deserved a longer run. Maria Friedman would have most certainly won the Tony award had it not closed so early.

...everyone was doing the mambo and drinking golden cadillacs...

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#66The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/22/10 at 2:54pm

XANADU!

and

[title of show]

broadwaydanwi Profile Photo
broadwaydanwi
#67The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/22/10 at 2:58pm

I really loved SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS. The last 20-25 minutes were really confusing. So many plot changes -- I was on the edge of my seat trying to figure out what was happening on stage. The score is awesome, and I listend to the cast recording a lot!

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#68The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/22/10 at 3:14pm

***based on cast recordings since I have only seen 2 Broadway musicals***

Taboo
High Fidelity
Caroline or Change

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

philcrosby
#69The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/22/10 at 3:44pm

Let me see ...

CARMELINA had a wonderful score, but was very old fashioned.

1600 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE was an absolute mess, but was written by geniuses, plus Patricia Routledge absolutely stopped the show in a way I have never seen before with "Duet for One." And the first act finale was brilliance.

garyl
#70The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/22/10 at 7:40pm

The Rink: Saw the original on Broadway with Liza and Chita and it stank..pure soap opera story and mediocre score ( avoided the revival at Signature VA)
Golden Boy: saw in out of town prior to Broadway and had strong reservations, but I still play the score a lot and would love to see a revival
Looking forward to the Zorba revival..I enjoyed the original

Hank
#71The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/22/10 at 7:51pm

Lennon
Ragtime (revival)
Xanadu

As for Taboo, I never got around to seeing it, and I can kick myself!

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#72The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/22/10 at 8:19pm

Probably 9 to 5. I enjoyed it more than most (saw it 2 times) and really thought it would last longer.

Maybe Xanadu next.

Plum
#73The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/22/10 at 11:06pm

The recent Journey's End revival comes to mind.

Scott Briefer
#74The Best Flop you've seen
Posted: 5/22/10 at 11:23pm

Saw Carrie. It was a mess. Caroline and Change bored me silly.