pixeltracker

Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC- Page 2

Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#25Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:39pm

I thought astro turf on the patio was A Chorus Line and not A Little Night Music.

I still haven't got over the black brick dungeon that the Egermans lived in in the Paris production - they'll be able to re-use the set when they do Sweeney Todd next year.

This production looks just as abstract.

In fact I don't think I can remember seeing a production of A Little Night Music that was entirely satisfactory in terms of design.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#26Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 6/8/10 at 5:45pm

I think the set looks beautiful!

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#27Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 6/8/10 at 6:02pm

The trees on the set remind me a little of the recent Fiddler revival.

I like how lush the set of this production looks...not so sure about Henrik's costume, however.

PauloFanClem Profile Photo
PauloFanClem
#28Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 6/8/10 at 6:55pm

The set is very unconventional, and yes, it's all because of Midsummer Night's Dream. But I need to say that the set of the Broadway revival has its own thinking behind (there's a reason why it's only three walls and a floor). My first reaction to Henrik's costume is also "WTF?" But my friend said it's makes him very boyish and seductive. Dunno whether I will agree to that.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#29Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 6/8/10 at 7:18pm

It's a pretty set, but rolling a wheelchair through fake grass must blow. I also think Anne looks old, but so does Henrik so I guess it doesn't matter. Amy looks stunning.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#30Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 6/8/10 at 9:30pm

I kinda dig the lawn, because it's so unusual to see it on a stage. It does have a bit of a Magritte "surreal" quality to it when the furniture is place on it, but I like that as well. It keeps everything open and airy, and it feels like the characters could all run off into the forrest at any moment.

And that's a good thing. I hope they have a decent sound designer, too, with quiet crickets chirping all around the theatre.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#31Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 6/8/10 at 9:35pm

One review stated that the sound design was awful. Sorry to tell you.

A Little Night Music," while frequently enjoyable, is not quite there, primarily due to less-than-optimal casting in a crucial role and poor sound design.

The miking was an issue in more serious ways. Although it is, as general director Timothy O'Leary says, standard performance practice in Sondheim's music, it works best when it's so subtle that you can't really be sure whether it's there at all. Michael Ferguson's sound design was blatant and distracting. There were many balance problems, and occasional overtones when two mikes got too close together.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/entertainment/reviews.nsf/stage/story/9A630C06EAC7B85A8625773B0078A327?OpenDocument
Updated On: 6/8/10 at 09:35 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#32Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 6/8/10 at 10:14pm

Well, that's unfortunate.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#33Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 6/8/10 at 10:19pm

The girl playing Anne looks older than Amy Irving. That's not good.

wonkit
#34Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 6/8/10 at 11:49pm

Sian Phillips did Madame Armfeldt to Dame Judi Dench's Desiree in ?1997 so Sian is making quite a career out of the part. I would love to see her take over from Stritch in November. Well, I can dream, can't I?

AEA AGMA SM
#35Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 6/8/10 at 11:52pm

Since Opera Theatre of St. Louis rarely uses body mics I'm not surprised that there are sound issues.

PauloFanClem
#36Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 6/9/10 at 3:10am

Of course, no set is better than the 1995 NT version, arguably the ultimate version of ALNM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AntaMEuMLGE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJo6DuwATmw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URgMNel31dc

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#37Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 6/9/10 at 3:54am

Wow, this looks fantastic.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#38Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 6/9/10 at 10:16am

How old is that Anne in the NT production, 25?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#39Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 6/9/10 at 10:22am

That's Joanna Riding who was probably closer to thirty when she did it. Riding gave one of the greatest musical performances I've ever seen as Julie Jordan in CAROUSEL at the NT for which she won the Oliver Award.

PauloFanClem
#40Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 6/9/10 at 10:26am

She was also Sarah Brown in Guys and Dolls on the very same stage.

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#41Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 6/9/10 at 2:13pm

Joanna Riding was by far the best acted Anne I've ever seen or heard - her performance was quite literally a revelation. In fact the best things about the NT's ALNM were the female performances of Dench, Phillips, Hodge and Riding.

That footage is exactly as I remember the design: bare.

The stage looked like Mentmore Towers after the auction.

PauloFanClem
#42Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 6/9/10 at 3:57pm

But isn't that what's the direction is about: a barren land with a glamorous coat?

Anyway, I LOVE Olivier Theatre!
Updated On: 6/9/10 at 03:57 PM

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#43Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 6/10/10 at 4:31pm

"a barren land with a glamorous coat?"

That could describe Desiree's dilemma but I don't think it can be extended to a metaphor for the whole show.

I love the Olivier theatre too and all that can achieved within it, say for example with The Wind in the Willows. But when I look at that footage I don't see the Egerman's house, Desiree's theatre or Madame Armfeldt's chateaux. I just see the Olivier's huge drum revolve.

Eos Profile Photo
Eos
#44Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 6/20/10 at 1:39am

I just got back from seeing this production at Opera Theatre St. Louis. Stunning! I enjoyed it more than the revival. I'm sure I'm a little biased because it was in my own back yard, but it was so magical. I really got a "the gods laughing at the folly of men" kinda vibe that wasn't in the revival at all. Of course, that's what Isaac Mizrahi was going for, but he really got his "Midsummer Night's Dream" interpretation across beautifully.
OTSL ALNM Preview

The Overture is part of the show, people. Please shut your pie hole.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#45Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 6/20/10 at 2:03am

A little much I would say.

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#46Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 6/20/10 at 4:54am

As reluctant as I am to judge theatre performances on video, this looks and sounds extremely promising (apart from the astro turf on the patio).

Amy Irving is inspired casting. Sian Phillips is now the right age for the role. And what smart theatregoers the people of St Louis seem.

I wish this had been the Paris production.

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#47Photo Flash: Isaac Mizrahi's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC
Posted: 1/21/13 at 9:41am

Houston Grand Opera has just announced they'll be doing this version from March 7-23, 2014. They're presenting it in the Cullen Theater (1,039 seats) instead of the Brown Theater (2,149 seats) at the The Wortham Theater Center. I'm glad to see it's going on the smaller stage because from the looks of these pictures, it would have been swallowed up in the Brown. But... the Cullen has such a tiny orchestra pit. They must not be doing this show with an orchestra larger than about 17 people.

Cast
Desiree Armfeldt - Elizabeth Futral
Fredrik Egerman - Chad Shelton
Madame Armfeldt - Joyce Castle
Count Carl-Magnus - Mark Diamond
Petra - Alicia Gianni

Creative Team
Conductor - Eric Melear - Mr. and Mrs. Albert B. Alkek Chair
Original Production - Isaac Mizrahi
Director - Matthew Ozawa
Set and Costume Designer - Isaac Mizrahi
Lighting Designer - Brian Nason