pixeltracker

stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs. at 10 pm- Page 3

stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs. at 10 pm

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#50stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 6:44pm

But TODAY at the market I saw these new WILD CHERRY M&Ms!! I didn't pick them up but I am INTRIGUED!

M&Ms are sure trying to get away from the classics! What do they have? Classic, Peanut, Crispy, Pretzel, Almond, Coconut, I swear I saw Strawberry once, White Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, and now Wild Cherry!!

Next thing you know we'll get FRUITY M&Ms!!!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#51stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 6:45pm

So you're pleased with her using the Fag word, then, Capn?

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#52stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 6:46pm

There were Strawberry Peanut Butter ones. If you're ever in the Hershey Store, they have macadamia kisses. DIVINE.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#53stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 6:46pm

Why do you have a picture of Helen Thomas in your avatar capn?

....but the world goes 'round

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#54stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 6:53pm

Who did what now?

SERIOUSLY, in all honesty, I think this is all a nonissue. She doesn't hate fags. She loves us! And yes, people will say that the word is never appropriate...yatta yadda yappa, but from what I read into your post on FB, it is not meant to be derogatory. But I can see how others might read it that way.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#55stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 6:55pm

tazber -- I just swallowed my gum! That's by far the funniest comment I've ever read!

--Aristotle

usemaybefatal2
#56stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 7:10pm

This just sickens me, honestly. I will lost respect for anyone who shows up to this little demo. I don't think she meant harm by the statement. If Alice was homophobic, she wouldn't be doing theatre.

musicnerd234 Profile Photo
musicnerd234
#57stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 7:14pm

That's such a stereotype usemay, not everyone who does theater is gay and it doesn't matter if she worked at a gay bar IT WAS WRONG and she should not have said it!

I thought it was all a flash in the pan. It wasn't until Broadway came along that I felt I had really made it. -Julie Andrews

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#58stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 7:17pm

Like Mel Gibson can't be anti-semitic because he's in film?

Updated On: 6/7/10 at 07:17 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#59stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 7:26pm

The big shocker here shouldn't be that heterosexuals - even those considered gay-tolerant or whatever - do and say homophobic things. White people who aren't out and out racists say racist things. Men can say misogynistic things without being out and out misogynists. It's not the cutesy "everyone's a little bit racist" crap we've had to suffer through since Avenue Q, it's just a fact of life that those who are privileged will sometimes use that privileged, often without realizing it.

The surprise is how many people are willing to just blanketly excuse here, and the downright wtfockery of this is her seeming willfulness to just keep being an ignorant prig.

usemaybefatal2
#60stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 7:27pm

OMG I was in no way saying all people who do theatre are gay. I personally think people are overreacting to this. She shouldn't have said it, but they way people are reacting, like this stupid demo, is ridiculous.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#61stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 7:28pm

I'm thinking of Bette's Margo Channing when she says "performance 1000 of this, if I play that long, will take place in a well-padded boobie hatch."

I think Ms. Ripley has been Diana-ing too long.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#62stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 7:28pm

No one thought you were saying everyone was gay. You were implying there was no homophobia in theatre.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#63stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 7:29pm

Anyone remember the YouTube video spoof of this guy dressed as a reverend and going around Times Square about the Broadway community and its promotion of Faggotry? They were HILARIOUS!

I loved those videos. "Their is a frequency that turns you gay."

If Alice was homophobic, she wouldn't be doing theatre.
http://blog.gayrightswatch.com/tag/justin-caster/

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#64stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 7:34pm

Oh snap! Good one tf4.

....but the world goes 'round

musicnerd234
#65stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 7:35pm

Usemay I knew what you meant, but to say that if she was homophobic she wouldn't be doing theater give off that sort of insinuation!

I thought it was all a flash in the pan. It wasn't until Broadway came along that I felt I had really made it. -Julie Andrews

usemaybefatal2
#66stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 7:36pm

What I have concluded: What Alice said was not right. This whole stage door demo is stupid. She apologized for it. I think we should really just grow up a little. Alice hates fags? That's really pushing it, sorry guys.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#67stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 7:41pm

Phyllis -- well put. Well put.

--Aristotle

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#68stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 7:45pm

Wait, where was her apology?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#69stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 7:46pm

Pssst - show of hands: given the original poster, who thinks this thread is real?

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

ActingIsLovee
#70stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 7:54pm

She posted this: Alice Ripley YIKES! FORGIVE MY OFFENSE.

yesterday.

musicnerd234
#71stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 7:56pm

It's like Ellen D said, it is not really a sorry if it sooooorry (if it goes up in the middle)!

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#72stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 7:57pm

Wonderwaiter, I keep wondering that, too, but I qualified myself earlier about i. I think the general consensus is that it IS real. If it's not, it's hilarious.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#73stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 8:05pm

To be honest, I think this whole thing just got blown out of proportion. Was it an angry, heat of the moment comment that probably shouldn't have been said? Absolutely. But was it taken the wrong way by people who have been (understandably) hypersensitized to things like that? Yes. I understand the feelings of betrayal and disillusionment, but the thing is I just can't find anything to suggest that she's really homophobic.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#74stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/7/10 at 8:13pm

"If it's not, it's hilarious."

I don't think I've had this much fun on the Main Board since Sueleen saw PURLIE with a bigot!

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."