pixeltracker

The Tony Award: bigger is better! Statuette increases its size!

The Tony Award: bigger is better! Statuette increases its size!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#1The Tony Award: bigger is better! Statuette increases its size!
Posted: 6/10/10 at 6:39pm

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/tony-gets-a-mini-makeover/

The Tony Award: bigger is better!  Statuette increases its size!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2The Tony Award: bigger is better! Statuette increases its size!
Posted: 6/10/10 at 6:41pm

I like the new height. Tall and proud! Just like the Oscar statuette.

Will be strange for multiple winners, however.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#2The Tony Award: bigger is better! Statuette increases its size!
Posted: 6/10/10 at 6:50pm

Nice improvement.

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#3The Tony Award: bigger is better! Statuette increases its size!
Posted: 6/10/10 at 7:01pm

The Tony Award: bigger is better!  Statuette increases its size!

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

wickedpoppinsfan
jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#5The Tony Award: bigger is better! Statuette increases its size!
Posted: 6/10/10 at 7:59pm

eh, i like the smaller one

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#6The Tony Award: bigger is better! Statuette increases its size!
Posted: 6/10/10 at 8:25pm

Oh, singtopher....you beat me to it! Size matters to some!

Edna Turnblad Profile Photo
Edna Turnblad
#7The Tony Award: bigger is better! Statuette increases its size!
Posted: 6/10/10 at 9:03pm

I like it, and I like the old one too. But it will be weird for multiple people. What if Angela wins again, and there she is with five, and one odd one out. I'd ask for the smaller one. I'd say "I'm Angela Lansbury. Now give me the smaller one." Then I'd cuss them out until they did. Imagining that in my head makes me giggle.

Piper3500 Profile Photo
Piper3500
#8The Tony Award: bigger is better! Statuette increases its size!
Posted: 6/11/10 at 8:51am

you can bet someone will make a size joke during an acceptance speech.

"it's a dirty little war"

Edna Turnblad Profile Photo
Edna Turnblad
#9The Tony Award: bigger is better! Statuette increases its size!
Posted: 6/11/10 at 9:16am

I can't wait, Piper.

WOSQ
#10The Tony Award: bigger is better! Statuette increases its size!
Posted: 6/11/10 at 9:51am

The award itself is the medallion. The thing that holds it, made mostly of lucite, was added when the Tonys became a tv award. The medallions used to be presented in a little box. Take a look at old pictures.

I have always thought that they ought to be awarded like an Olympic medal - on a ribbon placed around the neck.

Think of all the attempted strangulations that might have happened over the years. There are a few I would have tried myself.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

kchenofan Profile Photo
kchenofan
#11The Tony Award: bigger is better! Statuette increases its size!
Posted: 6/11/10 at 10:45am

“By adding height, now someone can grip the Tony, raise it over their head in triumph and not worry about keeping their grip,” he said. “Believe me, you can tell the difference.”

Drinking game: Drink whenever someone raises the Tony over their head in triumph.

kchenofan's computer is broken right now. This is her fridge. Now, you can leave a message, but say it slowly, so I can write it on a post-it note and stick it to myself.

Caroline2 Profile Photo
Caroline2
#12The Tony Award: bigger is better! Statuette increases its size!
Posted: 6/11/10 at 11:59am

I love how the Tony is now 'Super Sized'. Will this aid in our country's obesity problem?

Videos