NYMF 2010

BdwyFan
#1NYMF 2010
Posted: 7/27/10 at 6:26pm

The lineup for NYMF shows has been announced. Any word on the shows? What to see? What's the buzz?

PastorErnst Profile Photo
PastorErnst
#2NYMF 2010
Posted: 7/27/10 at 7:49pm

Having seen My Mother's Lesbian Jewish Wiccan Wedding in its original Toronto Fringe incarnation and its legit Toronto run, I would highly recommend this show. It's smart and funny. You will surely enjoy it.

tking001
#2NYMF 2010
Posted: 7/28/10 at 2:01am

I hear Without you is amazing
I can't wait to see it

PastorErnst Profile Photo
PastorErnst
#3NYMF 2010
Posted: 7/28/10 at 1:24pm

For someone who has never been to NYMF, what is the average running time of a full production or where can I find more info on the running times?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#4NYMF 2010
Posted: 7/28/10 at 1:41pm

I've also never been. Looking forward to attending some shows!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

bwaycrazy24
#5NYMF 2010
Posted: 7/28/10 at 1:45pm

I JUST saw TRAILS last Sunday in Los Angeles and it's coming to NYMF (I think)! I was BLOWN away... I actually sobbed... not cried, sobbed. So emotional. I've heard NYMF shows are usually bad but reading the 2010 line up I think they're choosing better shows this year. I'm VERY interested who gets cast in TRAILS in NYC... Ugh just thinking about it gives me goosebumps.

shesamarshmallow
#6NYMF 2010
Posted: 7/28/10 at 1:53pm

There is no average running time... there are 80 minute shows and 160 minute shows. More info is known closer to the festival.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

colorandlight2
#7NYMF 2010
Posted: 9/20/10 at 11:56pm

Any other buzz on good shows/events for NYMF this year? After seeing last year's shows I got a membership for this year and I wanna avoid as much dreck as possible.

max2paradise
#8NYMF 2010
Posted: 9/21/10 at 12:06am

I am a HUGE NYMF fan. I highly recommend seeing anything and everything they put on. The show I am specifically most excited for is

Nighttime Traffic
http://www.nymf.org/show-1516.html

PopAria Profile Photo
PopAria
#9NYMF 2010
Posted: 9/21/10 at 12:22am

TESS,
Theapy Rocks,
PopArt: The Musical
and Show Choir

are all on my list this year. I heard some of TESS and it sounds pretty good, a friend saw it in the spring and recommended it to me but I didn't get to see it. Glad I have this opportunity. Anyone else have any suggestions as to what to see and what NOT to see?

RyToast1
#10NYMF 2010
Posted: 9/21/10 at 12:37am

I've heard good things about Vote For Me...and the cast is pretty wonderful. Love me some Catherine Cox!

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/143073-Catherine-Cox-Ralph-Byers-Kristy-Cates-Cheryl-Freeman-Cast-in-Vote-for-Me-A-Musical-Debate

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#11NYMF 2010
Posted: 9/21/10 at 12:56am

Ooh I may try to fit that in...it sounds interesting and Catherine Cox was my musical theater teacher my first semester at AMDA, she's awesome. :)

#12NYMF 2010
Posted: 9/21/10 at 2:48pm

hooray for NYMF!

I'm seeing Without You, but so is the rest of the world, and it doesn't need another plug here. I'm gonna see Nighttime Traffic, because I like anything that seems sad and gay and stars Liz McCartney. And I want to see Shine because it sounds nice and old fashioned like Oliver, and that will be a breath of fresh air in NYMF.

Float05
#13NYMF 2010
Posted: 9/22/10 at 10:20am

I lucked into seeing some of the shows perform songs at New World Stages on Monday (I was seeing Avenue Q and they were performing at an open mic after). Bloodties was really good, and I'm definitely going to see it. The girl singer was amazing.

SomeoneInATree
#14NYMF 2010
Posted: 9/25/10 at 7:33pm

Agree. Definitely Nighttime Traffic.

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#15NYMF 2010
Posted: 9/25/10 at 11:37pm

I agree that the music for TESS is pretty good. I was on the fence about seeing it, and then I found this video and now I think I'll see it.
https://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay.php?colid=169279

Elphaba3
#16NYMF 2010
Posted: 9/26/10 at 11:53pm

TESS all the way. I'm friends with the girl who helped write it and plays Tess and got to see the workshop they did this summer and was absolutely blown away! I would definitely suggest going to see it. The music is absolutely phenomenal.

Luv2goToShows
#17NYMF 2010
Posted: 9/27/10 at 9:46am

I will be checking out these shows:

Without You
Bloodties
Tess
Above Hells Kitchen
Show Choir
Trails

Hoping to also find time for Things as They are, Shine and Night Time Traffic.

This is the first time I am going to any of the NYMF shows. The music and/or the story lines sound good on quite a few of these shows, really would not mind catching them all.

lic11101
#18NYMF 2010
Posted: 9/27/10 at 5:44pm

I just bought my tickets for POPart. The music sounds amazing and the story sounds fun... plus I love Cyrilla Baer and Marla Mindelle.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#19NYMF 2010
Posted: 9/27/10 at 5:49pm

Without You, Trails, and The Tenth Floor are the biggest 3 that I want to see. Tenth Floor is hopefully happening on Friday.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

CRS14 Profile Photo
CRS14
#20NYMF 2010
Posted: 9/28/10 at 5:03pm

In order, I'm seeing:
I Got Fired
Nighttime Traffic
Trails
Without You
Tess
Vote For Me
History of War
The Great Unknown

Most excited for Trails, Tess, Without You, and Vote for Me

At least you're not alone - your friends are there too.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#21NYMF 2010
Posted: 9/28/10 at 11:28pm

Hate to have the first review of a show be a bad one, but I left Show Choir at intermission tonight. It's a relatively painless show, or would be if it hadn't felt like it was 100 degrees in the theater. Seriously, it was a sauna in there.

The show itself presents a ridiculous story about a show choir that becomes an international sensation. Though filled with winks and nudges, it never acknowledges how wholly impossible the set-up is. No real characters emerge onstage, just some hastily constructed archetypes witlessly portrayed. The book is deeply unoriginal and not terribly amusing. The songs all sound more or less the same, and you've heard them all before. It's ample proof that comedy isn't easy.

The cast is game, and bless their souls, they try. They really try. But no one can register much when given this little to work with.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#22NYMF 2010
Posted: 9/29/10 at 11:39am

I'm looking forward to seeing V-DAY, by Steve Rosen and David Rossmer.

I love those guys in Don't Quit Your Night Job, they are hysterical, so really looking forward to seeing what they do with a full musical they created (and star in).

FeelingElectric
#23NYMF 2010
Posted: 9/30/10 at 8:45am

I don't have time to do full reviews of what I've seen so far, but here are some brief thoughts.

Therapy Rocks: Very good book, hard rocking score a fantastic cast (Rachael Stern, Dee Roscoli, Allie Schulz, Josh Davis and Adam Halpin). The staging of the performances by the entire cast remind me of Spring Awakening).

Roofless (reading): One of the most original ideas I have ever seen, a gangsta-themed graphic novel set to a Hip-Hop score. The entire cast was good, but Alan H. Green was insane!

Show Choir: I really liked it. A ton of subtle theater references, a few pop culture references that hit you right over the head (Kayne!), and an extremely talented cast.

Bloodties: Great score, emotionally powerful. The effect is intensified by the fact that the person who lived the story (Ned Massey) is playing it out on stage with four other very skilled actors.

Nighttime Traffic: I'm sorry to say that this show made no sense to me. It started nowhere and went nowhere.

Without You: WOW! Anthony Rapp is beyond amazing! He pours his heart and soul into that show. It is the most deeply personal show I have ever seen, and the best musical I have seen anywhere in 2010 so far.

I'm seeing Without You again today (the 2nd of 3 times) and opening night of Frog Kiss.

Drench yourself in words unspoken. Live your life with arms wide open. Today is where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten. "Unwritten" Natasha Bedingfield

JnB987
#24NYMF 2010
Posted: 9/30/10 at 1:57pm

I've only seen Nighttime Traffic so far, but it really set a high bar in my eyes. The score is absolutely gorgeous and whoever said it "goes nowhere" definitely didn't see the show I saw. I think "going there" is hardly the show's weakness! It's a bit out there plot-wise, but taking a chance and going with it was well worth it for the beautiful music and touching story.

Videos