Best Family Musical?

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#1Best Family Musical?
Posted: 7/28/10 at 5:35pm

So, my father and my brother are coming to NYC to visit me with their girlfriends and I want to take them to see a show on Broadway...which one should I pick? They are obviously gay friendly, but I doubt they would enjoy a show like La Cage. What would you BWWers recommend me to see with them?

PS: The only Broadway shows they got to see were Wonderful Town and Young Frankenstein and they loved the latter.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Yankeefan007
#2Best Family Musical?
Posted: 7/28/10 at 5:36pm

Naked Boys Singing is a show the whole family can enjoy.

muscle23ftl
#2Best Family Musical?
Posted: 7/28/10 at 5:40pm

Ha!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

suttonfoster Profile Photo
suttonfoster
#3Best Family Musical?
Posted: 7/28/10 at 5:43pm

In the Heights

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#4Best Family Musical?
Posted: 7/28/10 at 7:02pm

The Lion King?

muscle23ftl
#5Best Family Musical?
Posted: 7/29/10 at 12:25am

My brother is 35yo though! Haha.

wonderland01
#6Best Family Musical?
Posted: 7/29/10 at 12:31am

I'd say Wicked and South Pacific are very much what people would expect out of a musical, traditionally. I very much enjoyed both.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#7Best Family Musical?
Posted: 7/29/10 at 12:38am

When I heard 'family', I thought of kids...

Can't go wrong with West Side Story.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Elphaba43
#8Best Family Musical?
Posted: 7/29/10 at 3:52am

Mary Poppins was incredible(I thought) and West Side Story is classic!

I am a bagel on a plateful of onion rolls. If you know what I'm talking about, good. If you don't, you're on your own!

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#9Best Family Musical?
Posted: 7/29/10 at 8:23am

Given that they loved Young Frankenstein, maybe they'd like The Addams Family?

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Luv2goToShows
#10Best Family Musical?
Posted: 7/29/10 at 9:23am

Can not go wrong with any of these:

Phantom of the Opera, South Pacific, Billy Elliot, Jersey Boys, West Side Story, Promises, Promises (especially if they are a fan of burt music or mad man)

AudreyTwoTwo Profile Photo
AudreyTwoTwo
#11Best Family Musical?
Posted: 7/29/10 at 1:34pm

Rock of Ages is another good one if they're into 80s Rock n Roll!

The Best of Times is Now!

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#12Best Family Musical?
Posted: 7/29/10 at 3:34pm

I say South Pacific because it transcends generations and addresses some tough issues that can really start a dialogue.

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

CandiceElyse Profile Photo
CandiceElyse
#13Best Family Musical?
Posted: 7/29/10 at 4:11pm

Wicked would be the top choice for me. but Next to Normal is a close second, though its not really a "family show". I also support the Promises, Promises suggestion, especially if they like Mad Men, KCheno or Sean Hayes.

Judy Garland & Gene Kelly <3

Videos