Douglas Hodge in Matinee Shows

Clopin73 Profile Photo
Clopin73
#1Douglas Hodge in Matinee Shows
Posted: 10/3/10 at 7:34pm

I wanted to inquire if anyone knows about Douglas Hodge's doing all 8 shows a week.

I am trying to go and see La Cage in November but have not bought tickets yet. I had friends that went last weekend to see a Saturday matinee show and the understudy was performing. My schedule is tracking at seeing a matinee show and I want to know if Douglas is typically performing in all 8 shows each week (specifically the matinee shows).

I obviously want to see the show with Mr Hodge in it and want to choose my date/time wisely.

Any guidance is much appreciated!

Thanks.

bwayfan7000
#2Douglas Hodge in Matinee Shows
Posted: 10/3/10 at 7:37pm

I saw La Cage at a matinee and Hodge was in.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#2Douglas Hodge in Matinee Shows
Posted: 10/3/10 at 7:42pm

I also attended a matinee and he was there...and wonderful.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#3Douglas Hodge in Matinee Shows
Posted: 10/3/10 at 7:50pm

Bought my tickets for the Oct. 23rd matinee yesterday. Can't wait!

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#4Douglas Hodge in Matinee Shows
Posted: 10/3/10 at 7:57pm

I saw a Saturday matinee a couple of months ago and he was in and fantastic.

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#5Douglas Hodge in Matinee Shows
Posted: 10/3/10 at 8:50pm

I was their at a Matinee and he was there and amazing

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#6Douglas Hodge in Matinee Shows
Posted: 10/3/10 at 9:06pm

He does not have an alternate and like any job...he has a limited number of days he can call out sick. I've seldom heard of him missing shows....yet alone to set any sort of pattern.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

algy Profile Photo
algy
#7Douglas Hodge in Matinee Shows
Posted: 10/4/10 at 6:34am

Was last Saturday the tail end of Mr Hodge's holiday?

willep
#8Douglas Hodge in Matinee Shows
Posted: 10/4/10 at 9:02am

I thought this weekend was the tail end of his vacation? Either way, the reason that the OP's friends saw the understudy had nothing to do with it being a matinee, it was just that he was on vacation.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#9Douglas Hodge in Matinee Shows
Posted: 10/4/10 at 9:30am

Yes, Douglas Hodge was probably still on his vacation when your friend saw the production of La Cage.

There always seems to be this belief that the leads of shows (especially ones that are more prominent in the theater community) do not perform matinees. In fact, the fact that some of these performers are dedicated and prominent within the community would lead me to believe that they'd want to perform all eight shows.

While there have been instances where the main star only performed evening shows (or only six performances such as Frankie Valli/Jersey Boys and Christine/Phantom of the Opera), this is not typically the case. And I do recall one show within the past few years where a celebrity would only perform the evening shows, but forgot which show it was. An alternate would be listed on the shows website listing both actors specifically stating on what days each would perform.

Yes, Hodge won the Tony and has received many raves from the theater community. And unless he is sick or on vacation, he should be up onstage eight times a week!

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Videos