Recordings of Rose's Turn

LuvUrBatBoy Profile Photo
LuvUrBatBoy
#1Recordings of Rose's Turn
Posted: 10/15/10 at 8:24am

Are there any other recorded versions of Rose's Turn out there that Im not aware of?

I have:
Patti Lupone
Ethel Merman
Roz Russell
Angela Lansbury
Tyne Daley
Bernadette Peters
Betty Buckley
Liza Minnelli
Kurt Hummell (LOL)

Any others out there?

Yes that's me. No, it's not a Rent homage.

LuvUrBatBoy
#2Recordings of Rose's Turn
Posted: 10/15/10 at 8:25am

and Bette Midler's...forgot that one.

alxscrz2 Profile Photo
alxscrz2
#2Recordings of Rose's Turn
Posted: 10/15/10 at 9:35am

Silvia Pinal (Gypsy - Mexican cast recording)
Kay Medford (studio cast)
Libby Morris (Gypsy - South African cast recording

LuvUrBatBoy
#3Recordings of Rose's Turn
Posted: 10/15/10 at 9:52am

Are those available anywhere to purchase (or trade if someone feels generous? LOL)

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#4Recordings of Rose's Turn
Posted: 10/15/10 at 10:21am

Dolores Gray

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#5Recordings of Rose's Turn
Posted: 10/15/10 at 10:47am

^^^audio only^^
Dolores Gray/ROSE'S TURN

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#6Recordings of Rose's Turn
Posted: 10/15/10 at 11:03am

She's WAAAAAAAAY over the top--and her psychoanalysis is partly insightful and partly demented--but her final For Me has to be the sine qua non of For Me's.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#7Recordings of Rose's Turn
Posted: 10/15/10 at 11:43am

Annie Ross

iluvtheatertrash
#8Recordings of Rose's Turn
Posted: 10/15/10 at 12:06pm

What's the story behind Gray's performance? Had she played Madame Rose?

I'm enthralled by her storytelling in the performance, but is it just me -- or does she sound a bit like Bacall when she starts to sing?

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#9Recordings of Rose's Turn
Posted: 10/15/10 at 12:15pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpkPImvwSZg

Geraldine Turner. Who was to play Rose in an Australia production back in the late 80's early 90's.

This was recorded and given away as a sampler with the Australian Womans Weekly.

The production never opened

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#10Recordings of Rose's Turn
Posted: 10/15/10 at 12:18pm

Dolores Gray replaced Angela Lansbury in the 1973 London production. It closed shortly thereafter.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

iluvtheatertrash
#11Recordings of Rose's Turn
Posted: 10/15/10 at 12:34pm

Thanks, D2. Was she dreadful? Any reports?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#12Recordings of Rose's Turn
Posted: 10/15/10 at 2:34pm

According to Dolores herself, she was brilliant. Her exact words were:

"I was the only one who ever understood the psychology!"

And as she said those words to me, she dug her fingernails into my hands so deeply that I had indentations in the flesh for hours.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#13Recordings of Rose's Turn
Posted: 10/15/10 at 2:42pm

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#14Recordings of Rose's Turn
Posted: 10/15/10 at 2:54pm

I LOVE that Dolores recording! With that slow underscoring, it starts off like a 50s horror movie. And her impression of Louise is so withering!

She's chilling.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#15Recordings of Rose's Turn
Posted: 10/15/10 at 2:56pm

But I can never hear Dolores Gray without picturing Lypsinka.

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#16Recordings of Rose's Turn
Posted: 10/15/10 at 2:56pm

I liked the sound of Gray!

rosscoe(au), that's not Rose's Turn!

iluvtheatertrash
#17Recordings of Rose's Turn
Posted: 10/15/10 at 3:05pm

Tell me more, PalJoey, tell me more!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#18Recordings of Rose's Turn
Posted: 10/15/10 at 5:12pm

I LOVE that Dolores recording! With that slow underscoring, it starts off like a 50s horror movie.<

That's what Gypsy is: a 1950s horror movie.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#19Recordings of Rose's Turn
Posted: 10/15/10 at 5:21pm

"rosscoe(au), that's not Rose's Turn!"

There is actually a recording of Geraldine Turner singing Rose's turn on her second "Sings Sondheim" album.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Videos