pixeltracker

Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero- Page 2

Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#25Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/20/10 at 4:07pm

I believe the reason they like to recycle so much is because Telsey (The casting agents for the show) like to keep it in the family as much as possible.

And yea, Teal has proven that she doesnt have the best vocal techniques...if you *watch* her in the role...esp if your able to see her VERY upclose, you can tell just by her vowel formations that she is not singing properly, and the way her veins pop out, her limited breath support among other things...Idk...this will be interesting.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

HumATune Profile Photo
HumATune
#26Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/20/10 at 4:12pm

Adamgreer, Teal is working right now, just saying.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#27Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/20/10 at 5:19pm

Telsey also casted Rent which recycled just as much if not more than Wicked.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#28Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/20/10 at 5:21pm

Telsey also casted Rent which recycled just as much if not more than Wicked.

* cast

And the shows' producers have the final say when it comes to casting.

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#29Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/20/10 at 5:46pm

I don't see what the huge deal. First, hopefully Teal took her time off to, I don't know, train and make sure her voice wasn't destroyed forever. Second, god forbid another actress gets to make her broadway debut. And I do agree with you that it would be nice to have a great new Elphaba like Mandy but this time that's not happening. Let Teal do what she can do. I am excited for her and super excited for Kyle Dean.

By the way, Teal was never out and was always in top shape when I saw her in L.A. I must have been lucky. Congratulations and good luck to her. Updated On: 12/20/10 at 05:46 PM

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#30Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/20/10 at 5:56pm

Geez, chill out people--and I'm looking at you, adamgreer. It is extremely common that replacement cast members in a long-running Broadway show will have previously played their parts in the national tour. It's considered a promotion. The producers were happy with their work and so they get to go to Broadway. Seems fair to me.

My question is, why isn't Mandy Gonzalez staying with the show? It hasn't even been a year, and I can't imagine she's gotten any offer better than playing the most coveted role on Broadway. Was this her decision, or did the producers "not renew her contract" aka let her go?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#31Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/20/10 at 6:01pm

Elphabas rarely perform the role over a year anymore.

Of recent Elphabas

Dee Roscioli: Jul 21, 2009 - Mar 21, 2010
Nicole Parker: Jan 16, 2009- Jul 19, 2009
Marcie Dodd: Nov 11, 2008 - Jan 11, 2009
Kerry Ellis: Jun 17, 2008 - Nov 9, 2008
Stephanie J. Block: Oct 7, 2007- Jun 15, 2008 Updated On: 12/20/10 at 06:01 PM

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#32Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/20/10 at 6:13pm

Good for her, and congratulations!

Man, there are some haters on this thread.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#33Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/20/10 at 6:17pm

The producers were happy with their work and so they get to go to Broadway. Seems fair to me.

I don't see they can be happy with the work of someone who missed a good chunk of their performances.

She's cheap meaning more money in the pockets of producers. As long as someone is painted green and singing in the cherry picker, they're happy.

fingerlakessinger
#34Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/20/10 at 6:23pm

^Okay even I have to say that statement is kinda out there. Teal does bring alot to the role that obviously got her the part...even though I wish they went another way, she has the part for some reason hahaha

And I am thinking that maybe Mandy is ready to move on. Also this role is pretty challenging so maybe she knows that she should leave (although I and many more wish she stayed longer Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#35Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/20/10 at 6:23pm

I never saw her as Elphaba but from what I've heard, Saycon Sengbloh was an EXCELLENT Elphaba when she was a s/b for a few years....Should bring her back.

fingerlakessinger
#36Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/20/10 at 6:31pm

If I'm not mistaken, she was indeed offered to play the role full time in one of the productions but she turned it down cuz she liked being the S/B

iloveidinamenzel Profile Photo
iloveidinamenzel
#37Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/20/10 at 7:05pm

Considering her final performance in San Fransisco was repulsive, I'm not sure Teal is a good judge in her vocal capabilities. Any sane being would have stepped aside instead of trying to fulfill some future nostalgia. Considering, she failed anyway!

I really hope she got her act together.
And geez people, Mandy is a great performer, but I don't hold her in such high regard with Wicked. I personally don't think Wicked's had a GREAT Elphaba since SJB left the production. Updated On: 12/20/10 at 07:05 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#38Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/20/10 at 7:13pm

Geez, chill out people--and I'm looking at you, adamgreer.

I'm quite calm, but thanks for your concern.

The producers were happy with their work and so they get to go to Broadway. Seems fair to me.

One cannot be happy with a performer who missed as often as Teal did. They did it because she's cheap and will cost them a heck of a lot less money than someone like Mandy.

My question is, why isn't Mandy Gonzalez staying with the show? It hasn't even been a year, and I can't imagine she's gotten any offer better than playing the most coveted role on Broadway. Was this her decision, or did the producers "not renew her contract" aka let her go?

Other than Idina, the only Elphaba to stay a full year was Shoshana Bean, the first replacement.

dragonlp86 Profile Photo
dragonlp86
#39Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/20/10 at 7:25pm

I'll just add my two cents about being excited for Kyle Dean Massey!

FanofGreen
#40Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/20/10 at 7:38pm

Since you are so knowledgable ag, I guess you know the terms of her contract?

Thank God snobs don't do the casting on Broadway... they just bitch about it.

fingerlakessinger
#41Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/20/10 at 7:47pm

How is discussing the fact that a major Broadway show just hired a leading lady who has had troubles in the past with the show bitching?

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#42Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/20/10 at 8:01pm

Well, I've decided to see "Wicked" on Broadway for the second time (first time was on March 15, 2006. I'm seeing it again on March 15, 2010...mostly for K.D.M. This time, I got the cheapest ticket (rear mezzanine). I've also seen the touring show 3 times. TheatreDiva... I agree with you. Best of luck to Miss Wicks. from RC in Austin, Texas... where it's 69 F. We need some rain already!

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

FanofGreen
#43Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/20/10 at 8:17pm

fls,

It's bitching because you don't know how she will perform. If you go to see her live, and don't like the show, come back and bitch. But don't convict her before she sets foot on stage.

Many former Elphabas have had voice issues. It has even been said by a past, beloved Elphaba that the part is one of the most vocally irresponsibly written characters in musical theater. Ms. Gonzales sings at least some of the numbers a key lower, I believe, because she cannot handle the vocals as written.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#44Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/20/10 at 8:22pm

It's bitching because you don't know how she will perform. If you go to see her live, and don't like the show, come back and bitch. But don't convict her before she sets foot on stage.

She has already had TWO runs, both of which weren't all that good. Missing performances left & right. Vocal problems.

You mean people here don't want that? I could have sworn they did by all of the positive comments in the thread.

Summary: She had her chance, twice actually, & blew it both times.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#45Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/20/10 at 8:22pm

Ms. Gonzales sings at least some of the numbers a key lower, I believe, because she cannot handle the vocals as written.

I have to correct that statement because it simply isn't true. Ms. Gonzalez doesn't sing "some" of the numbers in a lower key. She sings two notes in No Good Deed lower (which is, admittedly, her weakest number, and kind of disappointing). However, she takes the end of Defying Gravity up the octave and sings the last part at a higher key than any other Elphaba. The only other Elphaba song that has ever been changed is As Long As You're Mine, which has been in a lower key since Joey McIntyre was in the cast (and was never raised back up after he left).

fingerlakessinger
#46Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/20/10 at 8:36pm

I actually though Mandy's NGD was one of the strongest...no flashy riffs just pure emotion...but thats my opinion hehe

But...no Elphaba has ever had a song lowered for them...the creative team wouldnt hire them if their range was not sufficient enough for the role...which is why I am wondering why they hired Teal.
FanofGreen...its really not bitching...you can look back at her LA and SF run...towards the end of her LA run she was missing a lot of shows...then she missed a lot at the start of the SF production (and I mean A LOT) then she had to leave for several months putting the entire production into a crisis with having to fly several girls out to standby while Vicki Noon basically got a uncredited promotion for that time. And even after she returned...her voice was noticeably different and she rarely was able to do a full week of performances.
Will she prove us wrong when she comes to Broadway? Maybe...do we have a reason to be a little skeptical...hell yes.

iloveidinamenzel Profile Photo
iloveidinamenzel
#47Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/20/10 at 9:02pm

fingerlakessinger,
Well said :)

snowskittle
#48Teal Wicks is Broadway's Next Elphaba; Kyle Dean Massey to Return as Fiyero
Posted: 12/20/10 at 9:45pm

Maybe it's just going to be a very short run -- a couple of months like Marcie had before she left for the 2nd tour lead.

Other than that, I can't imagine what they're thinking since she was out for months in San Francisco and was never able to return full time. Why should this be different, even after being out for a while again. Doing that role 8 times a week is tough on anyone's voice, but with so many problems it seems unlikel she'll be able to do that schedule for very long.

Might be a good opportunity for Jennifer DiNoia to get a lot of performance time.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer