pixeltracker

Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?

Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#1Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/4/11 at 8:40pm

I will be in NYC in May.

So far the shows are:
Priscilla
Catch Me If You Can
Sister Act
Anything Goes
How To Succeed

I asked my traveling partner if Book of Mormon sounded interesting and he said no. I don't watch South Park but I thought Team America was hysterical. I suppose I could see the Sunday 7PM performance as that's our last slot available.

Thanks

P.S. Many years ago I remember asking my partner at the time "Mike, there is this new Mel Brooks musical called The Producers. Does that sound like something you want to see on our trip?" and he replied "No, that doesn't sound good at all". So we passed on it. This was months before it opened. Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Updated On: 3/4/11 at 08:40 PM

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#2Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/4/11 at 8:43pm

Stop listening to your partners.

Yes, you will regret it. Majorly.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/4/11 at 8:44pm

Go see it. It is at the top of the list for my summer trip. It will no doubt take home a handful of TONYs.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#3Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/4/11 at 8:57pm

I think Mike's hunch about The Producers was spot-on.

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#4Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/4/11 at 8:58pm

"Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?"

Yes

madlibrarian
#5Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/4/11 at 9:05pm

And you'll also regret it when you are not in New York, too.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#6Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/4/11 at 9:16pm

Skip Anything Goes and see Book.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#7Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/4/11 at 10:42pm

Don't skip Anything Goes. Get the 7pm show

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

steveshack Profile Photo
steveshack
#8Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/4/11 at 10:47pm

Yes. It should be at the top of your list.

Eliminate something else.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#9Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/4/11 at 10:54pm

Like Anything Goes...

yawn

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#10Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/4/11 at 10:55pm

Is your Friday afternoon full? Don't they have a Friday matinee? Maybe see it then.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#11Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/5/11 at 12:50am

YES. It's the most original thing on Broadway right now, and you'll **** you pants while you watch it.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

#12Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/5/11 at 4:17am

I feel sad, REALLY sad, for those folks who are so unaware they cannot determine their own wishes and desires.

steveshack Profile Photo
steveshack
#13Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/5/11 at 5:00am

> I feel sad, REALLY sad, for those folks who are so unaware they cannot determine their own wishes and desires.

You mean the human condition? :)

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#14Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/5/11 at 6:59am

You should not miss it.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#15Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/5/11 at 7:01am

If you want to see it, see it. Let him stay in the hotel if he wants. I never understand people foregoing something they'd like to do because someone else doesn't want to do it or see it.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Sylar2 Profile Photo
Sylar2
#16Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/5/11 at 1:18pm

Yes, you will regret it. It is by far one of the best theatrical experiences I can remember having in quite some time. So original, so clever, and so wickedly funny. Ditch your friend fora few hours and RUSH to see this show. It's gonna to be a HUGE Tony winner.

Barney Stinson
#17Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/5/11 at 3:35pm

Saw it last night. HO.LEE.CRAP. I had sky high expectations, and I was not disappointed. Horrifically offensive, but at the same time, not at all. Just too funny for words. Josh Gad's performance is amazing. The whole thing really is brilliant. Skewers mormons, but kinda says they are all right too, at the same time. Got to be the one must see show above all others this season.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#18Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/5/11 at 3:44pm

"If you want to see it, see it. Let him stay in the hotel if he wants. I never understand people foregoing something they'd like to do because someone else doesn't want to do it or see it."

I agree. I had a ticket for another show last night and was talked into seeing "priscilla.." instead. Part of me wishes I had gone ahead and seen the other show. Priscilla is a big crowd pleaser but I don't care for Jukebox Musicals. I went because my friends wanted me to see it with them and the ticket was free.

Just give the world Love.

April Saul
#19Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/5/11 at 4:15pm

Oh my God, do not miss Book of Mormon. It's as good as the Producers with Lane and Broderick, or Hairspray.

YES, YOU WOULD REGRET MISSING IT!! And they're still selling discounted seats if you hurry...

Barney Stinson
#20Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/5/11 at 5:37pm

Um, it's easily better than Hairsray. And I never saw the Producers with Lane and MB, but it was certainly better than the Producers I saw.

mamaleh
#21Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/6/11 at 12:27pm

I didn't like everything about TBOM but enough to recommend it to anyone from mid-teens up through seniors. After losing the lottery, I got a standing room ticket. (By the way, the lottery seemed fairly honest with one glaring exception. A young man--who had been talking very cozily with the young female name-puller next to whom he had been standing for the previous half hour--won, didn't seem surprised or happy, and calmly took his ticket from the woman to take his place on the winners line. To me, that one "win" looked very suspicious.)

The "Spooky Mormon Hell" number (I'm guessing at the titles; no songs were listed in the playbill) as well as "Man Up" and the opening number were especially strong. Some of the offensive dialogue/lyrics were funny; other bits just puerile and catering to a more juvenile mindset. But it's got enough going for it--bouncy songs, sufficient humor, zingy choreography and originality--to make it a must-see for any fervent theatergoer.

MelissaF
#22Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/6/11 at 1:36pm

I was in NYC last weekend for my birthday, and TBOM was my fourth and last show selection. Easily the most enjoyable. I have never laughed so hard. Worth every penny, creative and original!

2012: American Idiot 01/14, In The Heights 02/11, Warhorse 02/18, The Book of Mormon 02/23, The Gershwins Porgy and Bess 02/24, Anything Goes 02/25, Godspell 02/26, Shrek 03/31, Ghost (West End)04/11, Singing In The Rain (West End) 04/12, Matilda (West End) 04/13, Leap of Faith 05/02, Evita 05/03, Jesus Christ Superstar 05/04, Newsies 05/05, The Book Of Mormon 05/06, West Side Story 06/02, Beauty and the Beast 07/07, Million Dollar Quartet 07/28, La Cage 10/13, 10/27 Sister Act, 31/10 Once, 11/01 Rock of Ages, 11/02 Spiderman, 11/03 Newsies, 11/15 Jekyll & Hyde

Hank
#23Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/6/11 at 3:40pm

Yes! By all means, do not pass on this.
I was never much into South Park myself, but this is a very fun, and topical show. Also, the Casey Nicholaw choreography is awesome!

Swirly Profile Photo
Swirly
#24Will I regret not seeing Book of Mormon when I am in NYC?
Posted: 3/6/11 at 10:28pm

seeing this next saturday night! super!!!!!

Videos