pixeltracker

Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?

Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?

AaronKreider1
#1Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/8/11 at 10:09pm

I read this one today http://www.welovesoaps.net/2011/03/wls-theater-review-priscilla-queen-of.html

Has anyone else seen the show? I can only afford to go to a few Broadway shows a year and want to choose wisely.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#2Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/8/11 at 10:19pm

I saw it over the weekend and really enjoyed it. It's very fun! It is a pretty faithful adaptation of the movie. Tony Sheldon is really good in his role. (I thought all three leads were very strong but Tony Sheldon really stood out.)

I highly recommend it if you're looking for a fun evening at the theater.

kyle4
#2Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/8/11 at 10:43pm

since you asked...

http://thetheaterbuff.typepad.com/the-theater-buff/2011/02/wheres-stephen-spinella.html

today was my day off gym, btw...

WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO KNOW?!!!!!

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#3Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/8/11 at 10:48pm

How big is Jessica Phillips' role in this? She is one of the big reasons I want to see it.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#4Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/8/11 at 11:02pm

It's not that large, n2nbaby. She is in some of the ensemble numbers aside from her role as Marion.

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#5Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 1:16am

saw the show in London and HIGHLY recommend...alot of fun.
amazing costumes and just light fantastically produced theater

saw Jason Donovan who was fantastic...

Go see this

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#6Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 4:13am

Kyle, I feel the same way about Priscilla, lack of creativity and it truly doesn't do the gay movement any favours. Cliche and stereotypical.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#7Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 4:44am

See it.

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#8Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 6:35am

Jessica Phillips has barely any stage time as Marion at all. If you are going just for her, than don't. But you should still go for the whole thing. It will make for a fun night at the theater.

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#9Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 7:03am

I've feel like I was just knocked down by a feather boa after reading the article elsewhere among these parts about the icky-sweet marketing tie-in between Magnolia Bakery and “Priscilla, the Musical.” Wow, I can't imagine which party approached whom, can you?

But the real bombshell was found in the testimony of the male-cake-chorine (shall we call her “Magnolia”?) who confesses that her too-witty-not costume and routine happens during “MacArthur Park!”

Someone left the cupcake out in the rain?!?!?!?!?

Lordy, I never thought I'd be defending the honor of Rod McKuen, but oh, great god Lyricisyous, please say it isn't twue, it isn't twue!

I'm happy to cling to the film version, thank you! Spare us the uninspired schtick of the stage version. I feel like I'm going to vomit after eating too many pistachio cupcakes. In your marketing dreams!

This is the show that needs Julie Taymor, and NEWS FLASH: She's Suddenly Available!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#10Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 7:53am

I wouldn't call it great, but it was fun. It's all about the production numbers. The book scenes are ok. Tony Sheldon is the best of the cast.

Just give the world Love.

NYTheatre01 Profile Photo
NYTheatre01
#11Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 8:30am

Priscilla Queen of the Desert is the most fun you will have on Broadway this season! Don't miss it! Absolutely amazing!

Broadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
#12Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 10:24am

I totally agree with NYTheatre01...this is the most fun on B'way this season! Go and have a good time!

egghumor, this show doesn't need any help from Julie Taymor or any one else for that matter. Perhaps if you had a true sense of humor you would get this production. I see you just joined today, so I will just ignore your post.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson

SHemp
#13Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 11:23am

Found these two reviews, both sides of the spectrum. Heard it was a lot of fun from friends too.

http://www.theateradvisor.com/reviews/priscilla-queen-of-the-desert/258/broadway/

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#14Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 11:33am

I've seen it twice and love it. It's so much fun!

Luv2goToShows
#15Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 12:42pm

I am on the bus and really enjoyed it, it was fun and I left smiling. I plan on seeing it again.

Broadwayboobs
#16Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 1:00pm

^^^that's the way most audiences leave the theatre after seeing this production. I will be seeing it for the 2nd time next Saturday...can't wait!!!

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Swirly Profile Photo
Swirly
#17Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 1:10pm

This show was so much fun!

Parks
#18Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 3:49pm

I texted my friend during intermission:

Me: It sets the gay movement back about 50 years.
Friend: Oh, crazy. I thought drag was supposed to be transformative.
Me: My bad. It sets the drag movement back about 50 years.

All I'm gonna say is--you should probably have a drink or nine before going to see the show. It was fun. I probably wouldn't pay to see it again (granted, I don't have a ton of extra money to be spending on shows right now either).

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

#19Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 4:02pm

Why do people say it sets drag back?

Broadwayboobs
#20Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 4:10pm

Let's see Joe....hmmmmm...because they're probably about 12 years old and are clueless?

bwayfan7000
#21Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 4:11pm

I had absolutely no interest in seeing it before based on just hearing things about it, but now that I've seen some clips of it, I am actually intrigued. It seems like the perfect show to see for mindless fun.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

#22Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 4:19pm

I'm curious because at the time the film was released "Priscilla" seemed pretty positive. Better at least than "Wong Foo" which seemed to say that Drag Queens lived as women 24/7.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#23Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 4:41pm

Me: My bad. It sets the drag movement back about 50 years.

The drag movement? I didn't even know there was such a thing and do tell how this sets back the "drag movement" 50 years. By showing drag queens in drag performances? I really have no idea what you're getting at here...

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#24Priscilla Review, Anyone else seen it?
Posted: 3/10/11 at 7:22am

Just go and see it.

Videos