pixeltracker

Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?

Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?

fiyerowhereareyou Profile Photo
fiyerowhereareyou
#1Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 10:36am

Ryan Bogner talks about Priscilla's marketing, and how the 3 divas portrayed on the advertising are not the 3 divas the show is actually about...the drag queens.

I know several people who are annoyed by that as well...would Broadway audiences stay away from a show about Drag Queens? Is that a slap in the face to LGBTQ community? Thoughts?

Check out the controversial ad, and more thoughts:
Diva Fail

#2Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 11:07am

Some queens just LOOK for stuff to be outraged about, don't they?

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#2Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 11:15am

I for one am highly offended, pointy orange and blue wigs go against the very fibre of my being, I will be boycotting the show and starting up a facebook group to shut it down.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

fiyerowhereareyou Profile Photo
fiyerowhereareyou
#3Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 11:18am

I don't think the writer is talking about shutting it down at all...just calling out the marketing team...I personally have friends in the show, and can't wait to see it, but still when I saw that poster above the Palace theater I got a bad taste in my mouth.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#4Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 11:26am

Our UK production just has the logo and a big shoe on top of the Palace, is that wrong as well?

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

DMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
#5Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 11:56am

There already is a thread about this:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1027193#4110351

I don't think the marketing is offensive but I do think it's misleading. I must admit though that I'm a big fan of the movie and not really interested in seeing the show.

Broadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
#6Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 12:19pm

If you're illiterate and rely on pictures then this could be misleading. I find the poster intriguing which leads me to do a little research in newspapers....google...etc. I don't believe it has anything to do with the subject matter of the show. Perhaps they want the audience to experience the drag queens on stage and not in an ad. Well, that's my 2 cents.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ed_Mottershead
#7Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 12:22pm

The marquee gets lost on Times Square -- I had to search a few moments before I could even find it, being dwarfed by the billboards for Chicago, Jersey Boys and several others that are playing nowhere near (well, relatively speaking) Times Square. I do feel, however, that they should highlight Will, Tony and Nick in their upfront advertising. I smell Tony nominations for at least one of these three.

BroadwayEd

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#8Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 12:41pm

Tony Sheldon is their best shot at winning I think. He's really quite good.

JMPlayer6 Profile Photo
JMPlayer6
#9Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 12:43pm

It could be worse ... they could be in blackface.

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#10Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 12:44pm

How is this any more offensive or misleading than the poster for LA CAGE? Sure, it's men in drag, but they are so dimly lit that unless you examine closely (which the average person will not do), they appear to be sexy showgirls.

At least it's a little more appropriate to the central theme and tone of the show, but there is still the subtle implication that people will not buy a ticket to a show if they know it is about gay men or drag queens.

I want to clarify: I'm not actually offended (at least not overly) by either marketing campaign, I'm just playing devil's advocate and pointing out another side of the argument.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."
Updated On: 3/9/11 at 12:44 PM

temms Profile Photo
temms
#11Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 1:32pm

They can also use this particular poster regardless of who's in the cast. Saves money and hassle in the long run and they can use the same artwork for every company. Uniformity in marketing and all.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#12Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 1:35pm

It's kind of like all Hairspray marketing being of the Dynamites.

tourboi
#13Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 1:39pm

No, its not offensive. Silly? Maybe. Cowardly to not feature the men in drag? Maybe. Sensible with needing to sell tickets to the general public? Definitely.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#14Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 1:41pm

Except the Dynamites are in one number. The Divas in Priscilla are quite involved with the whole show.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#15Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 2:01pm

So it's more like Legally Blonde marketing the show with pictures of the Greek Chorus.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#16Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 2:15pm

To use the word 'offensive' is laughable.

There are so many other things in this world to be offended about, the marketing of a musical on Broadway is not one of them.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#17Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 3:32pm

Not offensive in the least and from members of the cast, the marketing is being rolled out in waves with the "queens" appearing on or around opening night.

Seriously, some gays will look for anything to get upset about. It strikes me as so funny that so many gays I know are upset with Target, yet if I ask them what local political representatives are anti-gay, they have no idea. If I ask them about gay causes or charities-no idea. They know about Target because they love to shop and Lady Gaga is mad at Target.

It boggles the mind.

Get mad about something WORTH getting angry about. If you consider this political activism, you need a wake up call.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Parks
#18Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 3:41pm

I personally almost think it would have been smarter to have put the drag queens in their marketing materials--the three divas would not have caught my attention (my friend made me go see it). I think drag queens are much more interesting than "divas". Just my two cents--but I'm not everybody.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

#19Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 4:05pm

To be precise, it's more like marketing Hairspray with a picture of a girl in a wig and not letting on there's a drag queen in the show- or that it's about integration.
Updated On: 3/9/11 at 04:05 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#20Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 4:12pm

But that girl in the giant wig is the main character in Hairspray, isn't she?

#21Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 4:13pm

I haven't seen Priscilla, but don't the divas sing most of the numbers?

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#22Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 4:14pm

All the drag performances and backing up a lot of the rest.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#23Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 4:23pm

It's the same marketing being used in London now. I didn't find it offensive, just misguided. It's sort of like using the Radio in Caroline or Change, the Urchins in Little Shop or the Dynamites in Hairspray as the focus of marketing materials. It's probably fine after a few years when the show and its characters are widely known, but it's completely off the mark as representing a new show.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Broadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
#24Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 4:34pm

"Titanic the musical" had a very misguiding poster...I had no idea it was about a ship. Is Priscilla's marketing offensive?

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Videos