pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 111

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2750Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/23/22 at 8:39pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Is Rachel Schur Chase away from the show permanently?"

I believe she got injured and now has a project for the holidays. She's supposed to be back on Jan. 23.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#2751Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/30/22 at 10:59am

This is a clip I found on my YouTube feed.  I don't think I've seen this before.  https://youtu.be/q5tKqhDSjKQ

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2752Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/30/22 at 11:24am

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "This is a clip I found on my YouTube feed. I don't think I've seen this before.https://youtu.be/q5tKqhDSjKQ"

This is the B-Roll for press purposes.  It’s been in circulation since 1996.  This person posted it a year ago so it’s cycling around again.  

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#2753Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/9/23 at 10:16am

MissAnneThrop said: "Have seen the revival more times than I care to admit. Always was one of my favorites to see when there was nothing else. I've seen it in all three of it's Broadway homes and loved it almost always. Some of the best Roxie's I saw were Sandy Duncan, Amy Spanger, Charlotte d'Amboise, Karen Ziemba. My fave Velma's were Donna Marie Asbury, Ruthie Henshall, Bebe Neuwirth, Ute Lemper, Vicki Lewis. My fav Mamas were Marcia Lewis, Jennifer Holliday, Michelle Pawk. Billy: Brent Barrett, James Naughton. Worst I saw was Lou Gossett Jr."

I'm somewhere in the 70s or 80s, I've lost count over the decades. (That includes various cities.) Even so, I'm so jealous you got to see Donna Marie as Velma. The one time I gave up a ticket because of a conflict, it was a night she went on.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2754Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/9/23 at 10:16am

James T. Lane will rejoin the show, this time as Billy Flynn; he begins January 16 (along with Jinkx Monsoon). He was last seen on Broadway in the 2019 revival of Kiss Me, Kate.

Oh look, a bibu!

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#2755Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/9/23 at 10:18am

EDSOSLO858 said: "James T. Lane will rejoin the show, this time as Billy Flynn; he begins January 16 (along with Jinkx Monsoon). He was last seen on Broadway in the 2019 revival ofKiss Me, Kate."

I was already planning on seeing Jinxx, but now I'm super excited to see James. Saw him a bunch of times when he was in the ensemble, so happy to see him as Billy and officially above-the-title! Well deserved.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2756Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/9/23 at 10:30am

James is outstanding. Another reason to see this now with Jinxx. Still curious if Emma is replacing Charlotte as Roxie soon?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2757Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/9/23 at 2:31pm

Also, anyone know why the show is dark tomorrow? The performance schedule only has 7 performances listed for this week.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2758Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/9/23 at 7:49pm

FYI, Jinxx, James, Lana & R. Lowe are scheduled with the show through March 12. haven't gotten confirmation about Emma taking over for Charlotte, but it's probably through March 12 as well.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2759Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/23/23 at 12:59pm

Welp, looks like Amra is back. How unfortunate. Really might derail me seeing the show again now. When she left in November, it certainly looked like they gave her a proper send off. Do they have no one else able to play the role besides her, Lana and Bianca now?

EDIT: Looks like Lana is on vacation for two weeks and will be back. Still would have been better if the two Velma u/s just rotated.

Updated On: 1/23/23 at 12:59 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2760Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/23/23 at 1:50pm

The question is who will replace Lana after March 12th.  I'm figuring it will be Bianca Marroquin. I like her.  Still, the show needs to cultivate at least one or two new Velmas.  Is there any celebrity who could carry the role of Velma Kelly?  I can't think of anyone right off the bat.  Even an international Velma would be something.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

BCfitasafiddle
#2761Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/24/23 at 12:07am

Ugh. Not Amra! It really seemed like she was not coming back again. Will Lana be back soon? I’d much prefer seeing her and I do wanna see Jinkx. Ugh. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#2762Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/24/23 at 12:22am

It might have been more beneficial for them to do a "competition" to cast the next Velma instead of Roxie...it's the tougher role as it requires more technical skill as a dancer & vocalist. Audition some great ladies, get some new blood in there, and say bye to Amra –– this shouldn't be hard.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2763Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/24/23 at 1:32am

Let’s get some drag queens as Roxie and Velma too and really spice things up. 

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2764Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/24/23 at 6:43am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZivSC_kw9Y  Hello?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2765Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/24/23 at 8:00am

I'm guessing if there will be an entirely new cast after March 13(leads) that Emma might be Roxie then. Her farewell story on her IG said "goodbye Chicago....for now". Though I doubt they'd pair Emma up with a new Velma. Maybe Leigh Zimmerman?

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#2766Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/24/23 at 11:48am

Just throwing this out into the universe. Krysta Rodriguez as Velma. 

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

Jordan Catalano
#2767Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/24/23 at 12:30pm

I think the best “stunt” they could do would be a three month run with top Broadway names as all the leads. Just totally cast it as if it were a brand new high profile production, to the point it would seem insane for them not to make a new cast recording.

Updated On: 1/24/23 at 12:30 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2768Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/24/23 at 1:25pm

jonartdesigns said: "Just throwing this out into the universe. Krysta Rodriguez as Velma."

Ehhhh.

Any younger Bway dancers haven't climbed the ladder to warrant leading this show. I wouldn't mind Robyn Hurder jumping in next year as Velma once she's done with A BEAUTIFUL NOISE. Other vets I could see as Velma: Paloma Garcia-Lee, Khori Michelle-Petinaud, Sarah Bowden, Heather Parcelles, Natalie Cortez, Michelle Aravena, Jessica Lea Patty.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2769Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/24/23 at 1:45pm

I would love to see Leigh Zimmerman as Velma once more.  She was my first Velma Kelly on March 17, 2011.  I saw her again in 2017.  I'll take a wild guess and say that it will be Emma Pittman as Roxie and Bianca Marroquin as Velma Kelly when they replace the current leads.  

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#2770Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/27/23 at 9:32pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Let’s get some drag queens as Roxie and Velma too and really spice things up."

I still want a Pride cast, with MJ Rodriguez and Dominique Jackson as Roxie and Velma, with Colman Domingo as Billy Flynn, Jinkx as Mama, and Daniel Franzese as Amos

Jinkx is slaying. Charlotte is good, but a little overcompensating, Amra-Faye…yikes. I’ve heard things but oooof she is rough and cannot project

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2771Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/27/23 at 9:58pm

I'd love for J Harrison Ghee to play Velma once he's done with SOME LIKE IT HOT with MJ as Roxie. Get Nina West as Mama and I'm sold!

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#2772Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/28/23 at 12:26am

Honestly, I can’t wait until we can get Casey Garvin and Antwayn Hopper in as future Billy Flynns. 

The thought of Antwayn going for the money note at the end of “…Gun” is giving me the vapors.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Jordan Catalano
#2773Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/28/23 at 12:28am

quizking101 said: "Honestly, I can’t wait until we can get Casey Garvin and Antwayn Hopper in as future Billy Flynns”

The amount of money I’d pay to see Casey as Billy…

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#2774Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/28/23 at 12:35am

Jordan Catalano said: "I think the best “stunt” they could do would be a three month run with top Broadway names as all the leads. Just totally cast it as if it were a brand new high profile production, to the point it would seem insane for them not to make a new cast recording."

Wasn't this basically the initial hope for the rumored post-pandemic reopening cast that never panned out? Jane Krakowski & Ariana DeBose were the rumor, which seemed too good to be true.

I'm a broken record here but you need to transcend the Broadway lovers (many of whom have already seen it since reopening for one reason or another).