News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 129

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3200Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/8/24 at 8:18am

FYI, Robyn was back last night. Guess her injury wasn't that severe after all.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3201Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/12/24 at 9:41am

Anyone catch Max Clayton's Billy Flynn last night?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

RWPrincess
#3202Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/12/24 at 3:57pm

I had a conflict last night so I hope he has the chance to go on again

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#3203Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/26/24 at 10:20am

Mary Clare King recently returned to the Ambassador Theatre on May 20th.  She is taking over the role of Go-To-Hell-Kitty while Jessica Ernest is on maternity leave.  The current Velma Kelly understudies are:  Mary Claire King, Kristen Faith Oei and Mikayla Renfrow.  Roxie Hart understudies are:  Mary Claire King and Rachel Schur.  Matron Mama Morton understudies are:  Rachel Schur, Arian Kedell and Celina Nightengale.  I wonder who will replace Max Clayton (who leaves in June) and Max Von Essen (leaving in July).

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Patti LuPone FANatic
#3205Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/26/24 at 4:36pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread"

Nothing to say.  Not surprised.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3206Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/26/24 at 4:44pm

Who is Rebecca Johnson-Smith?? The rumored new Velma taking over for Robyn.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#3207Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 5/26/24 at 6:12pm

Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3208Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/1/24 at 7:52pm

Some COVID running around the show this week. Robyn posted yesterday she has it again and will be out. Nicole Benoit and Colt Adam Weiss were both called into the show for this week/weekend. All swings on since last night.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#3209Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/1/24 at 8:00pm

Rachel Chase had it recently as well.   

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3210Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/1/24 at 8:08pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Rachel Chase had it recently as well. "

Mary Claire King, Jeff Gorti and Michael Scirrotto are out due to it. Max Clayton is off rehearsing for Crazy For You. Joseph London is Mary Sunshine for both shows today, too. Not sure if R. Lowe is out due to COVID.

Updated On: 6/2/24 at 08:08 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#3211Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/1/24 at 8:25pm

This situation with the Chicago cast is a sobering reminder that COVID is still out there.  The good thing with Chicago is that the show has numerous people out there who can help out with roles, in an emergency.  

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3212Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/1/24 at 10:47pm

For both shows today:

Velma - Kristen Faith Oei

Mary Sunshine - Joseph London

Fred Casely - Marty Lawson

Doctor/Judge - David Bushman

Harry/Jury - Colt Adam Weiss

Liz - Nicole Benoit

Hunyak - Sharon Moore

Go-To-Hell Kitty - Jennifer Dunne

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3213Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/2/24 at 10:02pm

For both shows today:

Velma - Kristen Faith Oei

Mary Sunshine - Jayke Workman (called in last minute)

Amos - Joseph London

Bailiff/Court Clerk - Marty Lawson

Doctor/Judge - David Bushman

Harry/Jury - Colt Adam Weiss

Liz - Nicole Benoit

Hunyak - Jennifer Dunne

Patti LuPone FANatic
#3214Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/3/24 at 11:41am

Matthew J. Winnege is back with the show  until September 1st in a new track.  

Patti LuPone FANatic
#3215Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/3/24 at 11:44am

Matthew J. Winnege is returning to the Ambassador in a new track, until September 1st.  

Updated On: 6/3/24 at 11:44 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3216Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/3/24 at 12:04pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "
Matthew J. Winnege is returning to the Ambassador in a new track, until September 1st.  

"

He's replacing Drew as Bailiff/Court Clerk.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#3217Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/3/24 at 7:01pm

49 years ago today,  June 3, 1975, the original production of Chicago opened at the 46th Street Theatre - now the Richard Rogers.  It played for 24 previews and 936 performances.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#3218Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/5/24 at 10:28pm

Jaquez will be joining the cast of Chicago as Fred Casely, beginning June 8th.  

Patti LuPone FANatic
#3219Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/5/24 at 10:33pm

His full name is Jaquez Andre Sims.  I found this on BWW.   Jaquez was born and raised in Chicago, IL. He attended New York University's Tisch School of the Arts where he received his BFA in Dance. Broadway: MOTOWN (Asst. Dance Captain, Ensemble) National Tours: MATILDA (Rudolpho), THE BODYGUARD (Ensemble, u/s Tony, Devaney) NYC: CITY CENTER ENCORES! HEY LOOK ME OVER!, KING KONG LAB, BEETLEJUICE LAB, APOLLO CLUB HARLEM, SPANDEX Off Broadway (Trip Allen). Favorite Regional: JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR Lyric Opera Premiere (Ensemble), WSS Riverside Theatre (Pepe), HAIR Paramount Theatre (Tribe), CHICAGO Hilton Head Coastal Carolina (Emcee) TV: CBS FULL FRONTAL WITH SAMANTHA BEE, BEATS BY DRE HAPPY COMMERCIAL CAMPAIGN. Jaquez resides in Harlem where he enjoys staying active in fitness and exploring all the beauty the city has to offer.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#3220Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/7/24 at 12:10am

Jaquez Andre Sims

Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread

Phantom4ever
#3221Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/10/24 at 12:20am

I caught the 2pm show today, June 9th. A bit of anniversary for me as it was my 35th time seeing the show at the Ambassador. 

It was my first time seeing Robyn Hurder as Velma and wow she was good. I've never seen "I can't Do It Alone" performed with so much energy and....humor. Bianca Marroquin shined as usual. 

Oh! Sue Anschutz conducted! That was so exciting. I've seen her on the piano many times so it was so cool to see a different conductor. 

Jaquez Andre Sims is an EXCELLENT addition to the cast. I certainly hope he's given a specialty track like Me and My Baby.  Side note about Me and My Baby: if you look at vids from the 2000s, the part of the dance during "so much together, you'd count us as one" and "a dream of a duo, now don't you agree" had the dancers (i'll explain this as best I can) kind of slide their legs out and elogate them. But if you watch the boot of the original cast with Ann Reinking, they do more of a toe-touch with bended knees. And now......they are back to the toe-touch with bended knees. While I adore Ann Reinking, what it developed into by the mid 2000's was much sexier.  I hope they revert back. 

Another thing about today: the ushers were on point and more than four times walked up the aisles and told people to put phones away. I was in the 3rd row of the orchestra. I love aggressive ushers!  

Another thing about today: this was the smallest audience I have ever seen over 35 performances of Chicago at the Ambassador. The sides and back of the orchestra were empty. I would say maybe 50-60% sold?  So frustrating when Times Square is wall to wall people. I'm not losing Chicago in addition to Phantom. Luckily, with the Weisslers, Chicago will be around for quite some time. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3222Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/10/24 at 9:38am

They have Jinkx coming back soon and then Maddox in August. They'll be fine this summer. Odd that they haven't formally announced Robyn's replacement.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#3223Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/10/24 at 11:20am

I keep hoping they'll  ask Leigh Zimmerman for a return as Velma.  

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#3224Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/10/24 at 3:57pm

I thought Rebecca Johnson-Smith was going into the show after Robyn left, though I never saw an official announcement.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Videos