News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 131

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3250Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/24/24 at 9:51am

Robyn injured herself again over the weekend. She'll be out until August 6.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#3251Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/24/24 at 10:57am

Has Max extended his current run as Billy?

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

MatthewS1
#3252Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/24/24 at 11:10am

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Has Max extended his current run as Billy?"

His instagram bio says through Sept 15th. 

Patti LuPone FANatic
#3253Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/24/24 at 1:37pm

The reason I was asking is that I seem to remember that he was originally slated to end his current run sometime in July.   He now seems to have the record for longest continuous stay as Billy Flynn.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Patti LuPone FANatic
#3254Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/24/24 at 9:28pm

Telecharge has some interesting casting information.  Charlotte D'Amboise current run is until July 31 and then returns from Sept. 2 --Sept. 15.  Natasha Williams is with the show until Aug. 25, but Jennifer Fouche has a brief run from July 25-July 29.  And lastly,  Amra Faye Wright makes a return as Velma Kelly from July 29--August 5.  Thoughts  ACL?

Updated On: 7/24/24 at 09:28 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3255Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/24/24 at 9:39pm

Max, Robyn, Red and now Charlotte are there through Sept. 15. Guessing that's as far as they have contracts to for anyone. AFW is basically back in as an emergency filler for Velma for a week.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3256Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/27/24 at 7:04pm

Matthew Winnegge made his Amos debut at the matinee today.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#3257Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/28/24 at 9:17am

ACL2006 said: "Max, Robyn, Red and now Charlotte are there through Sept. 15. Guessing that's as far as they have contracts to for anyone. AFW is basically back in as an emergency filler for Velma for a week."

I thought AFW officially retired from the show? Do they really not have an understudy that could cover the role temporarily?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3258Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/28/24 at 4:26pm

AFW has been brought back 3x since she "retired". I believe this time they don't want to chance due to COVID running around Bway. Yesterday, David Bushman had to split track a role due to several guys being out. Joseph London is out due to COVID which is why Winnegge was on as Amos yesterday.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#3259Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/29/24 at 2:47pm

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C92uj4ivTGz/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==  Celina Nightengale is scheduled to play the role of Matron Mama Morton August 5-6.  

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#3260Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/29/24 at 2:52pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Today is Rob Bowman's final day as musical director for Chicago (per his Threads page)"

Who is the new MD/conductor now that Rob is gone?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3261Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/29/24 at 3:04pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Today is Rob Bowman's final day as musical director for Chicago (per his Threads page)"

Who is the new MD/conductor now that Rob is gone?
"

John Bell, according to both the show’s website and Playbill Vault. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Patti LuPone FANatic
#3262Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 7/29/24 at 3:30pm

John Bell, the new musical director for "Chicago".  

Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread

Phantom4ever
#3263Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/2/24 at 10:27am

Excited to see John Bell conduct last night! And it look like there were a few new faces with the trombones too. 

Now I don't know how Ariana Madix is or what show she's on, but she makes one hell of a dynamite Roxie Hart. She sung the part well, acted the part VERY well, and was overall a joy to see. The only thing I could criticize was she couldn't/didn't do the kicks across the stage at the end of Me and My Baby. I would be thrilled to see her again as Roxie. 

Yes I quite disappointed to see that Amra was back as Velma, as I have seen her dozens of times in the role. But, she got a new hair-do and a new costume and apparently a lot of rest, because she was excellent last night. 

The audience was so fun last night too. Wasn't quite a sold out crowd. When Mary Claire King came out to welcome us to the show, she could barely get through the lines because people were hooting and hollering so much. And the cheering never realy stopped, although most of the audience was well-behaved. The woman in front of me had a small child with her and they talked nonstop through the show, but somenhow it was so quiet I couldn't hear a thing. Still distracting though. And then the man next ot me had to comment on plot point. He was speaking another langage and I finally asked him during the Entre Act to please stop talking and he looked at me like I was the rudest individual on earth, and kept right on talking. OTHERWISE the audience was so supportive. Even the woman who took a huge iPad to take a picture of the song "Class"--it almost made sense because it was like see?  This is who we're singing about lol. 

Spoilet alert (lol) By the way, the last few times I saw the show, I noticed that when Mary Sunshine is revealed, she now takes her own wig off, when it used to be Billy Flynn taking it off. It's always awkward now with Billy kind of half holding the wig once it's off. The first time I saw it I assumed it was a mistake and R. Lowe was forced to remove it because Billy forgot, but now it's been three times I've seen it that way, and each time it was still very awkwardly blocked. 

Won't be seeing the show again until December. 

Patti LuPone FANatic
#3264Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/7/24 at 8:07pm

https://youtu.be/HHpd1KxvnF8?si=-Upbq8Vwlg3Q0Tdt  "Chicago" in Atlantic City (1985).  

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#3265Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/13/24 at 9:47am

Alyssa Milano as Roxie Hart

9/16 through 11/10

https://x.com/chicagomusical/status/1823352614932688976?s=61&t=mVlu1-Vlv8FQ0xTiz8SQeg

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

quizking101
#3266Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/13/24 at 9:47am

Alyssa Milano as Roxie Hart

9/16 through 11/10

https://x.com/chicagomusical/status/1823352614932688976?s=61&t=mVlu1-Vlv8FQ0xTiz8SQeg

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

smidge
#3267Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/13/24 at 10:06am

Any idea who will be the next Billy and Velma?

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#3268Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/13/24 at 10:22am

Obviously should be Tony Danza...

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3269Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/13/24 at 11:16am

Tag said: "Obviously should be Tony Danza..."

Can Judith Light sing? Get her as Matron and Danza as Billy and the Weissler’s have a new Billboard - “Who’s The Boss? CHICAGO on Broadway!”

quizking101
#3270Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/13/24 at 11:24am

Jordan Catalano said: "Tag said: "Obviously should be Tony Danza..."

Can Judith Light sing? Gether as Matron and Danza as Billy and the Weissler’s have a new Billboard - “Who’s The Boss? CHICAGO on Broadway!”
"

They cast Wendy Williams at Mama at one point…I don’t think carrying a tune is necessarily a dealbreaker.

She would ACT her way through “Class” for damn sure.

mshalo18
#3271Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/13/24 at 11:28am

quizking101 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Tag said: "Obviously should be Tony Danza..."

Can Judith Light sing? Gether as Matron and Danza as Billy and the Weissler’s have a new Billboard - “Who’s The Boss? CHICAGO on Broadway!”
"

They cast Wendy Williams at Mama at one point…I don’t think carrying a tune is necessarily a dealbreaker.

She would ACT her way through “Class” for damn sure.
"

I say she can sing well enough. Judith Light/Tony Danza Singing on Who's the Boss?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3272Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/13/24 at 11:29am

FACTS. We do need Judith Light back on Broadway, though. It’s been way too long since she’s graced us with her insane talent. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3273Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/13/24 at 11:39am

They're supposed to have all new leads on Sept. 16. Possibly Lana Gordon returns as Velma?

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#3274Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/13/24 at 12:07pm

Unfortunately, many theatrical agents who arrange major TV and film actors in joining Broadway shows as replacements adamantly discourage them about CHICAGO. The Weisslers are known to be quite difficult to work with and are quite tight with their budgets which is why it’s been years since any major name has joined the show. Pamela Anderson had her ulterior motives so she worked around them for her own agenda, so she was savvy handling her run in CHICAGO.  

Videos