Disney's Tangled on Broadway?

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#50Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 3/6/20 at 9:49pm

Alan Menken recently tweeted an intriguing hint:

Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?

https://twitter.com/AIMenken/status/1235246028196057088

Given that he acknowledges the cruise ship live show before the hint, it doesn't sound as though this "stage", "live-action" thing he's talking about is just a new iteration of that show. Could it be...??

rattleNwoolypenguin
#51Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 3/7/20 at 2:42am

I love Tangled as a film...

But think it is easily Alan Menken’s weakest animated Disney score score.

“I See the Light” is pretty solid but it is no “Whole New World”

but KNOWING DISNEY THEATRICALS I’M SURE it is coming down the line.

It would make sense as their next live venture since they’ve gone thru most of the Disney renaissance on stage and Frozen

BwayLB
#52Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 3/8/20 at 3:48am

I would be game as long as done right

Princeton2
#53Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 3/8/20 at 7:55am

A live action movie has been confirmed as in the works so he might just mean that

It is a much better movie than Frozen in many ways, with the exception of the songs which are good but not standouts

The cruise ship production shows the potential for a stage show so it wouldnt be the worst idea

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#54Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 3/8/20 at 3:47pm

There is that Rapunzel film in the works, but Menken's tweet mentioned "stage" so I don't think he could have been referring to it.

With respect to the original films, I too enjoy 'Tangled' much more than 'Frozen'.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#55Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 3/9/20 at 8:32am

I haven't seen the stage version on the cruise ship, (although, I did see clips), but it makes me wonder about this. It's been said that Disney likes to try out shows on a theme park level...but I don't know anymore. In the recent interview on Ken Davenport's podcast, Thomas Schumacher made a comment about the kinds of shows Disney is more likely to develop. Not every film allows itself to the stage. He cited Toy Story wouldn't work on stage due to the scale...yet there was Toy Story: the musical on one of the cruise ships...so who knows. I do think that any Alan Menken film is fair game, as he is the golden boy for them. I think having someone from the film to help expand and bring a connective tissue to the show helps...that's why almost all the Disney musicals have alive creatives.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Amalia Balash2
#56Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 3/9/20 at 1:46pm

I feel like Christy Altomare and Derek Klena would be PERFECT for Rapunzel and Flynn. And we already know they have chemistry!!

BritCrit
#57Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 3/9/20 at 4:31pm

It may sound odd, but I would like to see a stage show for the Tangled series. It would be incredibly difficult to condense the three-season storyline into a 2 1/4 hour production, but I think it can be done. There are several compelling new characters (Casandra's tragic arc could be turned into something truly incredible!) and some of the songs are genuinely Broadway quality. It would be brilliant to see songs like "Let Me Make You Proud", "Crossing the Line" and "Waiting In The Wings" get performed on stage...

The main issue is the fact that the Tangled series is a cult favourite rather than a Frozen 2 style blockbuster, but I think there would be an audience for such a project...

BwayLB
#58Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 3/9/20 at 11:59pm

^ After over a week since the finale, I care about Rapunzel and friends too much. Not sure if I am game for that but something with Cassandra, Varien or Lance yes.

IAMREADING
#59Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 7/26/20 at 6:44am

Disney posted a professional shot version of their cruise line performance of Tangled on YouTube! It has a short intro about the show and mentions having 3 new songs by Alan Menken https://youtu.be/XFiQWzU5wSQ

Updated On: 7/26/20 at 06:44 AM

rattleNwoolypenguin
#60Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 7/26/20 at 10:47am

I’m gonna say it.

It’s Alan Menken’s weakest work he’s done for Disney.

I See the Light is nice but it’s no “A Whole New World” and the rest of the songs are forgettable.

also the story doesn’t lend itself to stage well.
It’s much more action adventure film than Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin

And visually it’s whatever. Into the Woods meets Shrek.

It’s a sweet film but there’s nothing elevating it onstage.

Frozen was a great chance to make a spectacle and they didn’t the way they could have.

#61Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 7/26/20 at 12:32pm

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "
I’m gonna say it.

I See the Light is nice but it’s no “A Whole New World” and the rest of the songs are forgettable.

also the story doesn’t lend itself to stage well.
It’s much more action adventure film than Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin

And visually it’s whatever. Into the Woods meets Shrek.

It’s a sweet film but there’s nothing elevating it onstage.

Frozen was a great chance to make a spectacle and they didn’t the way they could have.
"

couldn’t have said it better myself.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#62Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 7/26/20 at 12:38pm

I agree with Tangled being Menken’s weakest, with the exceptions of I See the Light and Mother Knows Best. Apparently, the directors, who weren’t musical people (until now) and the executives were really controlling with the music.

I can tell Menken has more freedom with the cruise ship. The three new songs, along with the TV show, were much better than the movie’s OG music. I was really hoping they would put the songs in the show, but as long as they are in the Broadway version, I’m happy!

Carol Channing, or Change Profile Photo
Carol Channing, or Change
#63Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 7/26/20 at 2:24pm

I would have to agree that the music of Tangled, while not bad, is worse than Menken's other work, but I honestly enjoyed the new songs from the cruise ship production even less. If it ever makes its way to Broadway, I hope there would be some new, more memorable songs added to the score. Tangled as it is now simply doesn't have a Whole New World, a Let it Go, or a Part of Your World that would keep me coming back to listen to it over and over again. That being said, Tangled is one of my favorite Disney films in recent years, and if they can come up with something innovative to vamp up the stage version a bit, I can see it working really well. I get the feeling that a production of Tangled in the round could be rather exciting.

VintageSnarker
#64Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 7/27/20 at 2:50am

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "
I’m gonna say it.

"

Get Glenn Slater away from Alan Menken.

JennH
#65Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 7/27/20 at 1:02pm

VintageSnarker said: "rattleNwoolypenguin said: "
I’m gonna say it.

"

Get Glenn Slater away from Alan Menken.
"

This...Slater is one of the most uncreative lyricists I can think of. It just makes me miss Ashman all the more. The Menken/Ashman duo was a song writing team that couldn't be beat. 

I love the film despite it's flaws, there's just this indelible charm to it that you can't help but grin like an idiot when you watch it. I feel the same about the TV series, charming, but more clearly mean for a younger demographic, but hey I still found my adult self on the edge of my seat a couple times. The songs are...ok. I feel like they were only there because the film is a musical, and at least the film songs made more sense in their context even if they aren't great songs individually, which is also how I feel about the series' songs. I will say Wind in My Hair is a BOP though, and I think it's the best of the Tangled song catalogue. 

I think it can work a a full length stage adaptation, the cruise show proves it to an extent, but the more I watch the cruise lines productions (any of them), the more I realize how terribly thought out they are. There's not a single brilliant one in the bunch. The adapted writing is so pedestrian and filler, transitions aren't conceived well, and lord those 3 news songs are just bad and unnecessary. When She Returns at least makes sense in context, but Wanted Man...I've always felt a little icky about it because it makes Flynn out to be someone he's not. Or at least not someone who I perceived him to be. I never thought new songs were necessary because those shows are already trimmed down from a 90-ish minute film to an hour long stage production, and I'd rather have seen more/better dialogue to help with awkward scene transitions than new songs in an already shorter show. I know I'm thinking a little too hard about this, cruise shows might not be 'high art' but lack of a concept of story structure is probably my #1 pet peeve.

KJ4 Profile Photo
KJ4
#66Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 7/27/20 at 2:17pm

it s be more interesting if they make a spinoff for Varian or Cassandra. 

rattleNwoolypenguin
#67Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 7/27/20 at 2:19pm

Oh I think the movie is great. It's easily one of the best Disney animated films of the last decade and an indication they were having a second renaissance.

I just don't think it's great for the stage. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#68Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 7/27/20 at 3:30pm

I haven't read through this whole thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating stuff that's already been said.

I'm not opposed to this being put onstage, but I also don't have confidence in them doing it right. And if they don't do it right, I'd rather they just didn't do it at all. Particularly when it comes to (A) the lantern sequence, and (B) the score. 

I haven't watched the cruise video, but I skipped around a bit, and I watched "I See The Light." Maybe it's better when you see it live, but to me it seems like the execution of the lanterns is just ok. For me, the lantern scene is perhaps the most stunning sequences in any Disney film, partly because of the song, partly because of the visuals, but also because of how the visuals tie into the emotion of the story (the whole movie is building to this, and the payoff is phenomenally gorgeous).

So for my money, if they don't do justice to the the lantern effect, they might as well not bother adapting it for the stage in the first place. It should feel like the audience is floating in a magical sea of lights, or it just shouldn't be done at all. 

Also, I'm in the camp that generally believe Alan Menken's well of melodies has run dry. There are probably only 5 or 6 songs he's written in the past 15 years that I actually like. I still adore his early work, and I still love him for his artistic influence and contributions. But I also wouldn't bat an eye if he were to retire today and never write another note. I really don't need to see him write a bunch of forgettable songs to bog down this delightful property. 

Updated On: 7/27/20 at 03:30 PM

KingOfTheMine Profile Photo
KingOfTheMine
#69Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 7/27/20 at 4:04pm

Honestly, I don't have much confidence in Disney on Broadway after Aladdin and Frozen. Both felt sterile and like Disney was just playing it safe. I still wish we could see what Alex Timbers would've done with Frozen. And those projects seem like more natural fits for the stage than Tangled. I found the film largely forgettable apart from a couple nice moments/songs. If they couldn't bank on the Frozen name and brand, would they really have much more luck with Tangled?

rattleNwoolypenguin
#70Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 7/27/20 at 11:54pm

If they couldn't bank on the Frozen name and brand, would they really have much more luck with Tangled?"

That’s really such a good point

rattleNwoolypenguin
#71Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 7/28/20 at 12:01am

As for Alan Menken’s recent melodies

Sister Act was his strongest stuff I thought since the 90s

VintageSnarker
#72Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 7/28/20 at 1:18am

JennH said: "This...Slater is one of the most uncreative lyricists I can think of. It just makes me miss Ashman all the more. The Menken/Ashman duo was a song writing team that couldn't be beat."

I'm not saying that every song they've written together is complete trash. But there's a same-y blandness to it even when it's leaning on a particular style like Sister Act or A Bronx Tale. I don't think Slater is good for him. He's not being creatively challenged. 

I can't think of a wordier lyricist or someone with more of an edge who doesn't both compose the music and write the lyrics. I'm doubtful about what a Schwartz or Zippel collab would produce these days though if they could find the magic again, I'd be all for it.

BCfitasafiddle
#73Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 7/28/20 at 1:26am

Would much prefer an adaptation of Enchanted. That movie is pure delight.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#74Disney's TANGLED on Broadway?
Posted: 7/28/20 at 9:22pm

JBroadway said: "For me, the lantern scene is perhaps the most stunning sequences in any Disney film, partly because of the song, partly because of the visuals, but also because of how the visuals tie into the emotion of the story (the whole movie is building to this, and the payoff is phenomenally gorgeous).

So for my money, if they don't do justice to the the lantern effect, they might as well not bother adapting it for the stage in the first place.
"

Drones: