Wonderland reviews?

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#100Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 5:35pm

Looks like the attendance was up to 91% last week-- Just out of curiousty, does anyone recall a show (within last 5 years, for example) that closed (before its scheduled closing date) with consistent attendance figures in the 85-90% range?

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#101Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 5:48pm

Whoops. Read that wrong. Carry on. Updated On: 4/18/11 at 05:48 PM

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#102Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 5:57pm

For those comparing this show to dracula, dracula's average attendance was in the 50% (and never got higher than 70%) while wonderland is >80% every week. Yes, average capacity does not mean all that much but as another poster stated does anyone know a show that closed with capacity's in the 80s?

With the reviews that Wonderland recieved it will be an uphill battle, but not one the producers are going to give up on. The cd comes out on May 3rd so expect the show to continue until at least May and probably at least through the summer.

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#103Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 6:01pm

It will really depend on what the advance sales look like currently and what happens to sales from now on in....if it doesn't take a huge hit in the next few weeks, it will likely make it through the summer.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#104Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 6:57pm

This is the type of show parents who do not read or care about reviews will take their kids to and tourists will flock to once the spring/summer season kicks in. I see the show doing fairly well for quite a while.

Testing1232
#105Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 8:18pm

Totally agree-- I dont think the people that are going to see this show are going to read the NY Times review before they go.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#106Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 8:27pm

^ Exactly. The title itself is enough to get people in the seats.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

bwayfan7000
#107Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 8:40pm

For a while, maybe, but not too long. Word of mouth catches up with a show, and it's not been good for this show...

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

massofmen
#108Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 8:47pm

ummmm percentage of theater capacity doesn't mean crap. Look at their fiscal gross. That show has to have an operating cost of at least 600k if not 650. there is no way they have made OP costs yet and it doesn't look like it will happen soon.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#109Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 9:18pm

Summer will do it good - tourists still think this is "Alice in Wonderland" and losing the subtitle "A New Alice" and making it "Alice Through A Whole New Looking Glass" will trick them more.

Just from a quick glance, looks like the weekend matinees are well picked but pretty much any other performance after the discount date looks like you can sit wherever you want.

Dracula also partially got better reviews - remember that Dracula was actually worth it's $10 MIL in elaborate costumes, special effects, flying, tons of sets, etc.

Not to mention Dracula was led by Tony nominees Melissa Errico, Tom Hewitt, future Tony nominee Stephen McKinley Henderson, future Tony Award winner Kelli O'Hara and an unknown Darren Ritchie.

Wonderland has the broad appeal title, a better score, and a full orchestra. (And some costumes, better dancing - but what are people dancing about in Dracula anyway!)

Testing1232
#110Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 9:18pm

<>

Depends which "word of mouth" you go by-- Its not that bad from the "casual" theatre-goer.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#111Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 9:30pm

You heard it hear first

Bonnie & Clyde will get ripped just like this did. Unless Wildhorn gets plastic surgery & changes his name, no show he ever does will get good reviews. It is like pavlov's dog when you say Wildhorn to a critic. Much like saying Halliburton to a liberal.

I hope B/C gets either a concept album or they record it before the show opens like with Wonderland.

The odds are against it but I hope it ekes out a respectable run of maybe 6 to 9 months with these reviews.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 4/18/11 at 09:30 PM

massofmen
#112Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 9:51pm

6-9 months!?!?!? are you kidding me?
The show hasn't made OP costs yet (probably) and you think those reviews are going to jack up their tix sales? When they have to compete with Sister Act, Catch me if you can, Wicked, Mary Poppins, Lion King...all these family shows? If this show makes it past Labor Day Hell will have frozen over..

Economics people.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#113Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 10:52pm

Not to mention Dracula was led by Tony nominees Melissa Errico, Tom Hewitt, future Tony nominee Stephen McKinley Henderson, future Tony Award winner Kelli O'Hara and an unknown Darren Ritchie.

Please tell me for what show Kelli O'Hara won a Tony. As she is probably my single favorite Broadway performer, I think I would have noticed that. Or were you just speculating that she will win one in the future...?

bwayfan7000
#114Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 11:01pm

I'm confident that Kelli O'Hara will have a Tony someday, bjh, and deservedly so.

I went to the city with huge group, and many of them saw Wonderland while I went to Jerusalem. Almost all of them hated it. And they are certainly casual theatregoers, many of whom had only seen one Broadway show before (Sister Act with the group the night before).

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#115Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 11:04pm

Oh I am too bwayfan. But that wasn't the point, lol.

bwayfan7000
#116Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 11:34pm

lol I know. Anyway, *end of threadjack*

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#117Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/19/11 at 12:20am

Whoops... Thought she did. Well I know she'll win one day!

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#118Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/19/11 at 2:29am

I just got an advance copy of the new OBCR of WONDERLAND today (It will be released May 3) - The tunestack is fun read but so far nothing has grabbed me musically. Are there any standout songs in this score?

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#119Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/19/11 at 2:43am

I like "One Knight", "Through the Looking Glass" and "I Will Prevail."

What's the track list? Is the one on Amazon accurate?

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#120Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/19/11 at 2:44am

The stand outs on the CD will most likely be "Finding Wonderland" (the finale), and then Kate Shindle's "The Mad Hatter" and "I Will Prevail" (Her final note is to die for!).

It depends how the version of the songs reflect what they are now for the rest. A lot of people seem to like "Through the Looking Glass."

So is "Worst Day of My Life" (a big hit on the concept album, though now in the show terribly slowed down & altered) still in it?

The personal favourite for me on this record is going to be "Heroes," a company number that I thought was done terrifically.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#121Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/19/11 at 3:00am

What's the track list? Is the one on Amazon.org accurate?

Yes the listings on Amazon and Castalbums.org appear to match what is on the disc:

1. Overture
2. Home
3. Down The Rabbit Hole
4. Welcome To Wonderland
5. Drink Me
6. Advice From A Caterpillar
7. Go With The Flow
8. One Knight
9. Mad Tea Party
10. The Mad Hatter
11. Hail To The Queen
12. Home (Reprise)
13. A Nice Little Walk
14. Through The Looking Glass
15. I Will Prevail
16. I Am My Own Invention
17. Off With Their Heads
18. Once More I Can See
19. Together
20. Heroes
21. Finding Wonderland

I like "The Mad Hatter" but it was on Linda Eder's recent CD so I had already heard that number.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#122Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/19/11 at 3:21am

The "crowd favourites" are "Off With Their Heads" (Mason got the best reviews from anyone in the cast) and of course "One Knight," but I think this is just better live!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#123Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/19/11 at 6:04am

Do not miss Adam Feldman's review-in-verse in Time Out New York:

http://newyork.timeout.com/arts-culture/theater/1201315/review-wonderland

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#124Wonderland reviews?
Posted: 4/19/11 at 7:55am

Genius.