pixeltracker

THE NORMAL HEART Reviews- Page 3

THE NORMAL HEART Reviews

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#50THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
Posted: 4/27/11 at 11:54pm

With reviews like this, I expect to see two or three Tony wins in the acting categories.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#51THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
Posted: 4/27/11 at 11:58pm

No great shock that the conservative Wall Street Journal didn't like it. The play isn't very kind to their hero, Ronald Reagan.

averagebwaynut Profile Photo
averagebwaynut
#53THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
Posted: 4/28/11 at 2:47am

More praise from the Bergen Record.

Bergen Record

"No matter how much you want the part, never let 'em see you sweat." -- Old Dry Idea commercial

topherkraz78
#54THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
Posted: 4/28/11 at 3:36am

Someone upthread asked if this production could be extended. Probably but it would not have a lot of the same actors if it did.

Maybe this is a stupid question or statement but is there any chance that Kramer will ever bring this piece of artwork to Los Angeles? There would be so much interest over here. Updated On: 4/28/11 at 03:36 AM

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#55THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
Posted: 4/28/11 at 7:56am

Daily News is a rave

Larry Kramer's drama "The Normal Heart" was presented last year in New York and Los Angeles as one-off staged readings timed to its 25th anniversary.

Wednesday night, this scalding and poignant portrait of the early days of the AIDS epidemic opened at the Golden Theatre in a full-scale production.

It is a breathtaking achievement. Period.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/arts/2011/04/28/2011-04-28_broadway_drama_the_normal_heart_portrays_early_days_of_80s_aids_epidemic_in_powe.html?r=entertainment
Updated On: 4/28/11 at 07:56 AM

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#56THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
Posted: 4/28/11 at 6:11pm

What do you know? Word of Mouth liked it too!

http://www.broadway.com/shows/normal-heart/video/153522/word-of-mouth-review-the-normal-heart/

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

AlfieByrne
#57THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
Posted: 4/30/11 at 4:39pm

Do you think it'll provide a better experience seeing the show, having already read the play? Or should I go into this production not knowing much about the script?

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#58THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
Posted: 4/30/11 at 4:42pm

I would say don't read it beforehand. It wouldn't hurt, but it's also just not necessary. And I'm one of those "preserve the surprise" people, because you can only ever have that first time experience once, and it's so much better to have it on the stage than on the page.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#59THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
Posted: 4/30/11 at 6:16pm

I had never read the play before, and while I certainly don't think it would SUFFER for reading the play beforehand, I think there was something really precious about getting to experience it coming in blind.

topherkraz78
#60THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
Posted: 4/30/11 at 10:48pm

Im kinda surprised that we are not hearing much about this show from fans lately. BTW I purchased the original playwright for this so now I will get an idea about the play since its doubtful for me to make it to NY.
Updated On: 4/30/11 at 10:48 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#61THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
Posted: 4/30/11 at 11:18pm

I didn't know Larry Kramer was for sale. Hope you got a good price.

luvtheEmcee
#62THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
Posted: 5/1/11 at 1:34am

Win.

I am hoping to see it in about 6 or 8 weeks, depends on when I can get there.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#63THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
Posted: 5/1/11 at 2:18am

I went in being familiar with the play- and trust me, in some ways, it made it all the more heart rending.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

topherkraz78
#64THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
Posted: 5/1/11 at 8:14am

no his original book that is essentually his play of both tnh and destiny of me. i know its not the play of today but at least i will have a feel for it.

luvtheEmcee
#65THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
Posted: 5/1/11 at 12:20pm

... what? The Normal Heart and The Destiny of Me are published together. I've heard about one minor script change from that edition to this production and there may be more, but I have no clue what the hell you are trying to say. It's not a pop-up production in a box, but it's still the play. I also don't know why I'm even bothering.

Anyway, yeah. Kad, my familiarity with the play is breeding this weird sort of apprehension about seeing it again, because you know exactly what's going to happen when, and you're waiting for it. You don't get to hope it might go differently.

Updated On: 5/1/11 at 12:20 PM

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#66THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
Posted: 5/1/11 at 1:55pm

Topher, if you're going to hang around with theater people, at least learn to get the terminology correct.

You do not have an "original book". What you have is the script to "The Normal Heart" and "The Destiny of Me" bound in book form. It's not "essentially" the play, it IS the play, complete with character dialog and stage directions. It's the same thing any actor in the play would be using to learn their lines. In the theater, the term "book" is used to describe the dialog in a musical so as to differentiate it from the music and song lyrics, but it is not used the same way when referring to a play.

And a "playwright" is a person who writes plays. What you bought a "script".

Sarcasm is an allergic reaction to stupid people.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#67THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
Posted: 5/1/11 at 2:08pm

Topher, like the few others that popped up here the other week are only here to discuss (in a round about way so it doesnt appear too obvious) Jim Parsons. Once the show closes I guarantee we'll never hear from them again.

Ed_Mottershead
#68THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
Posted: 5/1/11 at 5:24pm

Was at yesterday's matinee and was totally blown away -- I had seen the version with Raul 7 years ago and had, of course, read the play back in th 80's. There was much audible crying at the end (myself included)and the audience seemed stunned at what it had just seen. Surely one of the very best of this season.

On another note, I was somewhat surprised to observe the large number of empty seats in the rear orchestra -- two or three rows worth. It's on TKS, so please anyone truly loving the theatre get your rear ends in gear and hie theee to the Golden.

BroadwayEd

Pomita
#69THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
Posted: 5/1/11 at 5:33pm

@Jordan - Yes, I am interested in this specific play because an actor I regard highly is involved in it. I am happy that he is part of a seminal work, and has apparently put in a good performance. I have no pretensions to anything more.

I am sure that there are hundreds like me out there, who are going to see the play because of him, appreciating it, and hopefully taking home much more from the play than just the fact of his presence. Is that wrong?

luvtheEmcee
#70THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
Posted: 5/1/11 at 5:46pm

I'm fully cognizant of the Public revival being 7 years ago, but something about seeing it in writing makes it feel so much more impossible!

I am sure that there are hundreds like me out there, who are going to see the play because of him, appreciating it, and hopefully taking home much more from the play than just the fact of his presence. Is that wrong?

Of course that's the hope, and I should think everyone who cares about this play would want that to happen. It would be great if the names in the cast could bring in people who wouldn't normally come and have their takeaway be bigger than that. It is this play's biggest mission, I think, to spread the word, and make people feel something that compels them not only to care, but to act. But I also think that not everyone in your boat will come out with anything more than an adventure in fandom. I sure hope you will take much away from it, though of course some try too hard to pretend. And that is their loss.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this play changed my life. Of COURSE I want it to be able to do that for others, no matter how they come to it. I just like to see it treated with the respect it deserves, and not just "this random play Jim Parsons is in," and in some cases, the lady doth protest too much.

Updated On: 5/1/11 at 05:46 PM

topherkraz78
#71THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
Posted: 5/1/11 at 9:31pm

Oh good lord. How do I explain this? Hmm, Ebay, went there and found the 1990 version of The Normal Heart and Destiny of Me in one book. K, yeah, so I bought it, having viewed it on amazon so when I said essentially the play I meant from what I was able to view I saw that it was some of the play. I guess its good to know its the whole play. Whatever. Some of you folks cant take in newbies with respect and understanding. That is so sad.
Updated On: 5/1/11 at 09:31 PM

Pomita
#72THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
Posted: 5/1/11 at 10:02pm

@luvtheEmcee - Thank you very much for your response. I consider myself truly unfortunate that I'll never be able to see the play, being in Europe.

From what I have heard and read about it in the last few weeks (basically every review and report), and from the fact that just a couple of moments in the highlights video could move me to tears - I think you can rest assured that many, many people who walk into this uninitiated will be walking out of the theater not thinking of any specific actor. Which, to me, is what the agenda of any good actor should be.

luvtheEmcee
#73THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
Posted: 5/2/11 at 2:56am

so I bought it, having viewed it on amazon so when I said essentially the play I meant from what I was able to view I saw that it was some of the play.

How was anyone supposed to glean that that's what you meant?

If you want respect, you need to give a little, too. Don't go crying that nobody is treating a newbie with respect and understanding when you marched in here with neither. Newbies who display respect and understanding have always gotten both back in return. Demanding information, whining about it, and showing absolutely no care for something that means the world to these people you want respect from isn't the way to get it.

If you don't give a sh*t about the material, ultimately that's your choice, but I think it's almost more offensive to pretend you care than not to at all. I am glad you've decided to read it, and I hope it manages to move you, and that you'll see things a little differently. I don't pride myself on being the bitch here, but your entry into all of this has really rubbed me the wrong way.

topherkraz78
#74THE NORMAL HEART Reviews
Posted: 5/2/11 at 8:23am

I'd like to know how I was disrespectful and how you have not been since I simply asked a question at the start about a certain actor and how I asked about certain things of what to expect if I made a trip to see this. I got hassled by Jordan, who thinks he owns the damn thing. I got hasseled by Emcee because I didn't explain my purchase exactly right. How in the world do you call youself respectful and not a 'bitch' when you are the one with the insults and have no respect or understanding? I'd think you would be thrilled to have new people interested in Broadway but if this is the way you treat tv fans, why bother. You know what. Screw you!

Later!

Videos