pixeltracker

2011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread- Page 8

2011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#1752011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 7:09pm

On the chairs- Just because you think they are just chairs, doesn't mean that they are. The set designer actually worked for WEEKS with Stro to get those chairs exactly correct for the purposes of the show and the actors using them. They went though a huge trial and error period, and worked meticulously on making the perfect kind- and rightfully so becuase they are the set. The chairs are not bought, they were commisioned by the show and are very specific down to the weight, the individual grooves on the backs where the actors needed to grab them, the height, the distance between the bars on the back, etc. They are not just some IKEA chairs.

Remember - it's the award is for set DESIGN, not set aesthetics. A lot of design went into this set, even if it looks to people like they were mail-ordered from Switzerland.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#1762011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 7:13pm

On Scottsboro boys: I agree with the poster who said earlier that these nominations are purely for recognizing an excellent show and an important one in theatre history. IMO, the nominators already know that Mormon is going to sweep, so it doesn't really matter what else gets nominated, so they figured "let's not forget this gem of a show" It's about recognizing the great work that Susan Stroman, the actors, and all involved did for a show that was artistically, but not commercially superb. I am estatic about the nominations.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
Updated On: 5/3/11 at 07:13 PM

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#1772011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 7:30pm

Okay...i'm just gonna say it. I think its kinda sad that Wonderland got 100% snubbed. Yea, not the best show ever (far from it) but I would think it would get a nom for costume/orchestrations/lighting and possibly even score.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#1782011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 7:52pm

I am surprised Sister Act did not get nominations for Costume Design, Choreography & Sets .

Wonderland did deserve some nods but as long as any show has Wildhorn connected to it the critics will ensure it willalways get shut out.

Poster Emeritus

pinoyidol2006 Profile Photo
pinoyidol2006
#1792011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 9:14pm

I'm glad that BoM got the most nods. I can't wait until this show goes on tour!

I'm somewhat surprised Radcliffe didn't get nominated. I wish Tveit got nominated. I had some hopes for Laura Osnes, but oh well.

I'm thrilled Laura Benanti got a nod. I LOVE HER.

I'm surprised Anything Goes got acting nominations outside of Sutton. Speaking of which, it's about f-cking time for her 2nd Tony... I hope the Tony voters might give it to Miller.

I like your imperturbable perspicacity.

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#1802011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/3/11 at 10:03pm

I dropped my toast this morning when I heard that both Colman Domingo and Forrest McClendon got nominated. I couldn't be happier for them them, great and chilling performances. I am glad they were not forgotten.
Updated On: 5/3/11 at 10:03 PM

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#1812011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/4/11 at 10:37am

I haven't seen everything this year, but based on my experiences so far, the most egregious omission is Benjamin Walker. It's not the biggest surprise, per se, but what a snaub! He gave every inch the performance that Gad and Rannells are giving and certainly deserves to be in there over Josh Henry.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#1822011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/4/11 at 11:25am

And so many people were laughing and/or pissed at me weeks ago on this forum for predicting that Daniel Radcliffe would not be nominated for a Tony Award.

Dramamama, earlier you inquired about actors winning Tonys for musicals that had closed. The two examples (among many more) that come to mind are Dolores Gray for “Carnival in Flanders” (6 performances in 1953) and Leslie Uggams and Patricia Routlidge tying for two already-closed shows, “Hallelujah Baby!” and “Darling of the Day (31 performances).”

“Hallelujah, Baby!” may be the only time a closed show has won the Tony for Best Musical (1962011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread.

The trend I notice more these days is often an actor (usually a “name”) will win a Tony (for either musical or play) but exit the show within a few short weeks after winning. Usually their contract was for a limited run in the production.
Updated On: 5/4/11 at 11:25 AM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#1832011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/4/11 at 1:00pm

Andrea Martin also won her Tony for MY FAVORITE YEAR, six months after it closed. Featured Actress as well, I hope Benanti is able to pull this off as well.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#1842011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/4/11 at 1:08pm

I don't think I ever knew that both Darling of the Day and Hallelujah, Baby! had closed by the time Routledge and Uggams won their Tonys.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Brick
#1852011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/4/11 at 1:47pm

I find the nominating committee to be the best ones at keeping the Tonys what it should be: recognizing excellence in the season past. It's only when it gets to the voters that it becomes about money: who's touring, who's still open, who was the biggest hit, and last year, who's the movie star, etc.

SCOTTSBORO BOYS was a show many in the theatre community looked back on with fondness, similar to last season's RAGTIME. The surprise is how many nominations it received, but not that it was nominated. And the number of nods just shows how much the committee loved this show.

And that leads back to my original point. I think we're only having this discussion because the show is closed. But the committee's duty is to honor excellence in the season, not boost the box office of an open show.

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#1862011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/4/11 at 1:52pm

well put, brick, thanks.

kyle4
#1872011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/4/11 at 2:58pm

i have moods, modes and musings about the TONY nominations... as you will see here...

http://thetheaterbuff.typepad.com/the-theater-buff/2011/05/tony-moods-modes-and-musings-intro.html

oh and, by the way, I AM BACK...

but, i am off from the gym today !!!!

WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO KNOW?!!!!!

Frank thebellhop Profile Photo
Frank thebellhop
#1882011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/5/11 at 3:40am

Why did they only nominate 4 actresses in the musical category? Was sherie Rene so bad it warranted leaving a spot blank rather than giving her a nomination?

greeny11
#1892011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/5/11 at 7:21am

Because there were only 6 actresses eligible for the award. There can only be 5 nominees if there are at least 7 actresses eligible.

After Eight
#1902011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/5/11 at 10:04am

"I find the nominating committee to be the best ones at keeping the Tonys what it should be: recognizing excellence in the season past. It's only when it gets to the voters that it becomes about money: who's touring, who's still open, who was the biggest hit, and last year, who's the movie star, etc. "

Sorry to have to say this, and to you in particular, since many others here have been feeding us the same line, but what a lot of hooey.

Sanctimonious hooey, to boot.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#1912011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/5/11 at 10:10am

Someone's got a nasty grudge against the nominating committee...

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#1922011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/5/11 at 10:13am

Paul Bland, I wasn't commenting on the lyrics, I was commenting on the sound design (No offense but keep that in mind!). And I really had no problem with the lyrics.

Just give the world Love.

kyle4
#1932011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread
Posted: 5/5/11 at 2:06pm

i made some comments about the best featured actress in a musical award... well, the nominations... at least...

i thought you might be interested !!!!

here is the link...

http://thetheaterbuff.typepad.com/the-theater-buff/2011/05/best-featured-actress-in-a-musical-tony-moods-modes-and-musings.html

WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO KNOW?!!!!!