pixeltracker

NYTimes - Porgy and Bess to Broadway?

NYTimes - Porgy and Bess to Broadway?

colleen_lee
#1NYTimes - Porgy and Bess to Broadway?
Posted: 5/9/11 at 5:13pm

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/09/high-hopes-for-porgy-and-bess-on-broadway/

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#2NYTimes - Porgy and Bess to Broadway?
Posted: 5/9/11 at 7:44pm

If this happens, I think Audra can say hello to her 5th Tony Award.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2NYTimes - Porgy and Bess to Broadway?
Posted: 5/9/11 at 8:22pm

this needs to happen!!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Mattbrain
#3NYTimes - Porgy and Bess to Broadway?
Posted: 5/9/11 at 8:36pm

I have to see this at ART!

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

LuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
#4NYTimes - Porgy and Bess to Broadway?
Posted: 5/10/11 at 2:19am

I have a front-row center ticket to the first preview at the ART. I'll let you know how it is! This will be my first time seeing a production of this show, and I'm so excited!

bwayfan7000
#5NYTimes - Porgy and Bess to Broadway?
Posted: 5/10/11 at 2:20am

Yes, PLEASE!

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#6NYTimes - Porgy and Bess to Broadway?
Posted: 5/10/11 at 2:32am

Who plated Clara in the reading/workshop?

TimBaase Profile Photo
TimBaase
#7NYTimes - Porgy and Bess to Broadway?
Posted: 5/10/11 at 11:46am

I feel like Porgy and Bess coming to Broadway would be the ultimate homecoming for the theatre community. Seeing phenomenal actors (who happen to be able to sing the crap out of the brilliant score) will be absolutely thrilling. Audra is stunning in anything, but this seems like it could be a high point in her already long career.

"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. Its when you know you're licked before you even begin, but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do."

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#8NYTimes - Porgy and Bess to Broadway?
Posted: 5/10/11 at 12:00pm

Perhaps in this version... they will let Bess sing Summertime and My Man's Gone Now? No? Fine. Lol. I just want Audra to sing as much as possible.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#9NYTimes - Porgy and Bess to Broadway?
Posted: 5/10/11 at 12:12pm

Can she do it with her TV show schedule?

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#10NYTimes - Porgy and Bess to Broadway?
Posted: 5/10/11 at 12:24pm

Can she do it with her TV show schedule?

She's not coming back for Private Practice's 5th season. (Well, she may come back for a few guests spots.)

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#11NYTimes - Porgy and Bess to Broadway?
Posted: 5/10/11 at 2:50pm

I saw Audra and Brian Stokes Mitchell perform excerpts of Porgy and Bess at Ravinia and it was thrilling. Happy to see Norm Lewis attached to the project. He was flawless in Two Gentlemen of Verona.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

#12NYTimes - Porgy and Bess to Broadway?
Posted: 5/10/11 at 6:28pm

My fave recording of Porgy and Bess is the 1960s one with William Warfield, Leontyne Price, and Cab Calloway, though sadly it's just excerpts (the best complete recording is the Houston one from the 70s). Even though they came from a touring production, in the recording they give Summertime to Price, lol. But no, I don't wanna hear Bess sing it in an actual production.

This sounds great. I actually think P&G works better with a slightly more Broadway and less operatic bent.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#13NYTimes - Porgy and Bess to Broadway?
Posted: 6/27/11 at 2:01pm

It looks like Nikki Rene Daniels will be Clara.
I, for one, am very excited about this.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#14NYTimes - Porgy and Bess to Broadway?
Posted: 6/27/11 at 2:13pm

Please! Please! Please!!!

Dollypop
#15NYTimes - Porgy and Bess to Broadway?
Posted: 6/27/11 at 2:18pm

This won't be the original operatic version of the piece, though. It's being "re-conceived" as a musical. Ugh!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)