pixeltracker

Does anyone understand the Jerusalem Rush?

Does anyone understand the Jerusalem Rush?

Feldzieg
#1Does anyone understand the Jerusalem Rush?
Posted: 5/14/11 at 1:30am

Was at the Jerusalem Rush the other day. A lot of people lined up there on a Tuesday morning, maybe 35. They sell a very small amount of crappy Box Seats. Then they say that Rush is sold and it's full price now - which means that 98% go and try to get tickets to a different show. In the evening the show plays to a house with 200 empty seats. I don't get this policy.

Why don't they sell the rear mezzanine tickets they undoubtedly have for the rush price to the people who lined up in the morning to see their show? Instead they send them away, possibly annnoying them. Simply selling the tickets as rush does not only bring money in - it's always better for the actors to play for a packed house.

Any explanations?

bwayfan7000
#2Does anyone understand the Jerusalem Rush?
Posted: 5/14/11 at 2:08am

I also don't understand why they don't give better seats than box in general. They should just keep it front row.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

GimmeABreak2
#2Does anyone understand the Jerusalem Rush?
Posted: 5/14/11 at 2:39am

I'm sorry I didn't read the sign more thoroughly this morning when I was by the box office, but I did notice something posted that they offer additional rush seats 2 hours before curtain at $36.50? Anyone know about this?

thismyshow
#3Does anyone understand the Jerusalem Rush?
Posted: 5/14/11 at 3:31am

what i dont understand is why the website still has the rush seats listed as being in the front row for 26.50....

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4Does anyone understand the Jerusalem Rush?
Posted: 5/14/11 at 4:45am

There are a number of producers that simply sell a set number of rush seats. Period. Regardless of how many they have left.

They are also allowed to change the rules whenever they want to, remember, they don't have to discount at all.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

iflip4musicals Profile Photo
iflip4musicals
#5Does anyone understand the Jerusalem Rush?
Posted: 5/14/11 at 6:43am

For the record, I bought a cheap rear mezz ticket (maybe with a discount, I don't remember) but it was a fantastic view. It was mostly empty, so they let us move down right before it started.

"I've never encountered such religiously, you know, loyal fans as Broadway musical theater fans. It's amazing." --Allison Janney

Feldzieg
#6Does anyone understand the Jerusalem Rush?
Posted: 5/14/11 at 10:22am

I am aware that they don't have to discount and can change the rules whenever they want. I just think it's a bad business decision.

A seat unsold is an asset lost forever. If they send me away they a) don't get money at all for the seat (though my $27 won't make them rich, I give you that) b) risk annoying me c) secure that their actors play for a house with a lot of empty seats and most importantly d) word of mouth: if I see their show for a cheap buck and love it I may tell my rich friends who might then buy a full price ticket.

So where's the disadvantage? Do they fear to sell less full price tickets once patrons find out that more rush seats are available? Is someone willing to pay $130 for an orchestra seat for a play really willing to stand in line for rush seats? I doubt that to be honest. Maybe they sell a few less rear mezz full price tickets that way. But word of mouth can make up for that.

Updated On: 5/14/11 at 10:22 AM

bwaynews Profile Photo
bwaynews
#7Does anyone understand the Jerusalem Rush?
Posted: 5/14/11 at 11:10am

I did rush for this show a week or two ago and lined up for the box office to open. I got box seats- the front row was filled so I'm guessing that's TDF or something. However, the balcony was pretty much empty and a good amount of the orch was empty.

According to the sign in the window they sell the $20something box seats as rush when the box office opens. Then they sell $36 tickets 2 hours prior to curtain. I'm assuming they are hoping people will come in between the 10am and 2 hours before curtain and buy more tickets and then they sell whatever is left as the $36 rush.

Follow twitter.com/bwaynews for photos, interviews, news, castings, giveaways and discussion :)
Updated On: 5/14/11 at 11:10 AM

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#8Does anyone understand the Jerusalem Rush?
Posted: 5/14/11 at 11:11am

This isn't anything new or diffrent. Most shows sell a set # of rush tickets no matter how many they have empty, and some sell even less or no rush seats if they are sold out (WAR HORSE.) I don't know a single show that will sell all unsold seats for rush prices. Why should they? They don't have to even sell one. Why would anyone even buy a full priced ticket if all empty seats were sold for $27? Who cares that they might "annoy" you? You're not entitled to a cheap seat.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

751guy Profile Photo
751guy
#9Does anyone understand the Jerusalem Rush?
Posted: 5/14/11 at 4:59pm

The producers make the decisions about all aspects of ticketing for a show. The box office just follows the rules set forth by management and if you get annoyed, get annoyed with the people who are presenting the show. Chances are if you're annoyed, you'll act it out with the box office which will probably get you little accomodation or consideration.

You'll accomplish nothing by being haughty, rude or nasty with the box office. Be honest and straight-forward by presenting your discount coupon ahead of time, be clear about what you want rather than rejecting every 'good seat' without saying 'but I really need to be on the aisle' and don't treat the box office like they're idiots. A little pleasantness goes a long way.

There's an old saying in the business that goes 'anyone who fights with a box office person has only one problem: they're nothing getting...'

You can surmise the rest.

The number of people who will not see a show they don't want to see... is unlimited. Oscar Hammerstein

Feldzieg
#10Does anyone understand the Jerusalem Rush?
Posted: 5/15/11 at 12:53am

Wow, there's a lot of misunderstanding going on here.

I never said that I feel entitled to a cheap seat and I never mistreated any box office people. I said "Oh, ok" and walked out, thinking about the policy. Since I could not figure out why they would do it that way I started this thread and wanted to learn more about these policies, their background and discuss whether they make sense business-wise or not.

Didn't know that they sell more seats 2 hour prior to curtain. Now, it makes more sense to me.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#11Does anyone understand the Jerusalem Rush?
Posted: 5/15/11 at 9:54am

but you said they didn't make you happy and that's not good business sense. I'd be happy if I could walk up to any b'way box office an hour before curtain and get a ticket for 20 bucks. But they aren't going to do that because it is NOT good business sense. It's not JUST about seats sold but money made.

Their tickets are also over at TKTS selling for 1/2 price...which is more money than rush prices.

I was at the Matinee on Saturday. I couldn't see the mezz very well, but it seemed pretty full. I know the orchestra was.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Astrid2 Profile Photo
Astrid2
#12Does anyone understand the Jerusalem Rush?
Posted: 5/17/11 at 12:29am

Regarding the rush tickets sold two hours before curtain... does anyone know where those seats are?

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#13Does anyone understand the Jerusalem Rush?
Posted: 5/17/11 at 12:14pm

The same thing happened with La Bete. The box office always said they were out of rush tickets and then the show played to a half-empty mezzanine every night.

It makes absolutely no sense to me either. Especially in such a small theater.

Videos