So who will play Fanny?

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#50So who will play Fanny?
Posted: 7/5/11 at 5:36pm

I expected Lavin would be great in Gypsy and she was not. I expect she would be great as Mrs. Brice if they cast her. This time I could be right. She's a great actress who is sometimes right for a musical, sometimes not, and it's usually unpredictable how right or wrong she is for it.

Soliantu Profile Photo
Soliantu
#51So who will play Fanny?
Posted: 7/6/11 at 8:01pm

As much as I would have loved to see Stephanie J Block as Fanny... she's too old to do the role on Broadway now.. Someone mentioned the girl who does the mirandasings videos... that idea actually intrigues me!

suttonfoster Profile Photo
suttonfoster
#52So who will play Fanny?
Posted: 7/6/11 at 9:09pm

Seriously, Colleen Ballinger would be brilliant

bwaycomposer Profile Photo
bwaycomposer
#53So who will play Fanny?
Posted: 7/8/11 at 10:59am

Jenn Furman! JENN FURMAN!!

suttonfoster Profile Photo
suttonfoster
#54So who will play Fanny?
Posted: 7/8/11 at 1:13pm

Sarah Stiles or Anneleise Van der pol!!!

Let It Cast Profile Photo
Let It Cast
#55So who will play Fanny?
Posted: 7/8/11 at 7:35pm

Quite possibly indeed an unknown (as would be fitting as per Fanny's story). I'm surprised none of you mentioned that the production is giving this serious consideration by hosting an open casting call for anyone to give it a try.

You can audition directly online by sending a 90-second video singing performance (free & private). Complete details on Center Theatre Group's website:
http://www.centertheatregroup.org/land/funny-casting.htm

Direct link to the audition / casting website:

Let It Cast
#56So who will play Fanny?
Posted: 7/8/11 at 7:36pm

Quite possibly indeed an unknown (as would be fitting as per Fanny's story). I'm surprised none of you mentioned that the production is giving this serious consideration by hosting an open casting call for anyone to give it a try.

You can audition directly online by sending a 90-second video singing performance (free & private). Complete details on Center Theatre Group's website:
www.centertheatregroup.org/land/funny-casting.htm

Hurry to audition or spread the word — audition deadline is July 15!

Direct link to the audition / casting website: Updated On: 7/8/11 at 07:36 PM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#57So who will play Fanny?
Posted: 7/8/11 at 7:46pm

Anika the Falasha Fanny!

holdyourbatboy
#58So who will play Fanny?
Posted: 7/9/11 at 3:45pm

Shoshana Bean

ahhrealmonsters
#59So who will play Fanny?
Posted: 7/9/11 at 4:26pm

Sarah Stiles is interesting. She has this very high-pitched, squeaky speaking voice, and I honestly don't think she's strong enough for the role, but I'd be interested in seeing what she would with it.

denali.fire Profile Photo
denali.fire
#60So who will play Fanny?
Posted: 7/9/11 at 4:34pm

A new concept

Fanny Brice meets Daddy Arnstein

Fannie

To seek revenge may lead to hell yet everyone does it but seldom as well......

husk_charmer
#61So who will play Fanny?
Posted: 7/9/11 at 4:38pm

Stiles did it at the Drury Lane Oakbrook Theatre, I believe...I don't think she was received terribly well.

I actually LOVE the Anna Kendrick suggestion, but I'm afraid she may come off too intense as Fanny.

Anyone but Kritzer is my pick.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

ahhrealmonsters
#62So who will play Fanny?
Posted: 7/9/11 at 5:01pm

Double post Updated On: 7/9/11 at 05:01 PM

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#63So who will play Fanny?
Posted: 7/9/11 at 5:53pm

How about Tari Kelly?
Tari Kelly's website with audio

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

North2009 Profile Photo
North2009
#64So who will play Fanny?
Posted: 7/11/11 at 12:12pm

Michael Musto posted on the Village Voice page this past Friday that he has found the person to play Fanny - Lady Rizo.
He points out four qualities needed for the role and cites that this woman has them:
1. Explosive talent.
2. Wry humor.
3. Streisand-esque sex appeal.
4. She is an original.
I agree that these qualities are needed for a character like this - zeroing in on the explosive talent and the aspect of being an original - not some carbon copy of the original.
Now the clip linked to the post is not that great - and being that I live in Minneapolis - am wondering if any one else has seen this performer live and does she in fact have what it takes? Could she be a serious contender?

iamchanging9 Profile Photo
iamchanging9
#65So who will play Fanny?
Posted: 7/11/11 at 12:51pm

2 of my friends, who are virtually unknown, have been called in for work sessions. It seems they actually are going to cast an unknown (the way it should be, since it made Barbra such a star).

...everyone was doing the mambo and drinking golden cadillacs...

Let It Cast
#66So who will play Fanny?
Posted: 7/11/11 at 12:54pm

^ Hurray to that!

North2009 Profile Photo
North2009
#67So who will play Fanny?
Posted: 7/11/11 at 12:57pm

Great to hear that they are going in that direction.
Any word on the rest of the cast?

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#68So who will play Fanny?
Posted: 7/11/11 at 1:33pm

If they are going for an unknown, so be it. But it should be pointed out that Barbra Streisand was not an unknown when she was selected to play Fanny Brice. In 1961 she played Miss Marmelstein in Harold Rome's I CAN GET IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE at the Shubert. It was a small part, but she made the most of it and got good notices. At the same time she was appearing late at night in a Village club. Two years later, Jule Styne caught her act in another Village club and raved about her. Granted, FUNNY GIRL made Streisand a star. And a tremendous performance is necessary because the second act book is weak. However, all the musical numbers in the show are strong if the lead is capable of really delivering.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#69So who will play Fanny?
Posted: 7/11/11 at 2:34pm

Streisand also had several appearances on The Tonight Show (among other TV appearances) and three albums on Columbia (and two Grammy Awards) by the time Funny Girl opened on Broadway. If Funny Girl was the thing to catapult her to superstardom, I'd also agree with Gypsy9 that she wasn't exactly an unknown when it opened either.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Gaveston2
#70So who will play Fanny?
Posted: 7/11/11 at 7:01pm

Streisand had hit records and guest-starred on The Judy Garland Show (twice) before playing Fanny Brice. She was not an unknown.

Obviously, the show and, especially movie, put her on a whole new level, but she wasn't somebody the tourists had never heard of when the show opened.

For that matter, her replacement, Mimi Hines, was also pretty well known from TV appearances with her husband, Phil Ford.

In those days, there were only 4 networks (counting PBS) and everybody watched the same shows.

The market is much more fractured these days and I'd be very worried about mounting a first-class revival with a complete unknown. In case nobody has noticed, it's a great score, great role, but rather insipid book and story.

Sounds like they are going to boot Lea Michelle off Glee after this season (graduation). Might as well wait and give it to her. God knows she can sing it.