pixeltracker

Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?

Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?

Boq101
#1Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 3:09am

She's still in NYC and she's Argentinian. Plus I think she'd nail it. I don't know, just a thought.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#2Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 3:15am

DOUBLE NEGATIVE! Also, that's pretty racist...

Boq101
#2Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 3:17am

It is a double negative, it won't let me edit.

I mean I figured since the whole Elena Roger being Argentinian was such a publicity thing. She's the only other broadway "star" who comes from Argentina.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#3Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 3:19am

It is? Maybe for when it was in London, but here it's because she's a transfer from the London show.

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#4Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 5:45am

How is that racist? He has a good point...

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#5Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 8:11am

She ain't not the mistress, because nobody didn't not ask her to not play the part not yet.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#6Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 8:27am

I know the expression, "theres no small parts", but the girl is stunningly talented. To go from a Tony nominated lead in a high profile revival to an ensemble member is probably not what her management wants for her at this point.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

iluvtheatertrash
#7Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 8:43am

besty... :) Maybe it's because I haven't slept in days, but that one made me giggle quite a bit.

I was under the impression the Mistress is also Eva's understudy. Is that not the case? I can't see Josefina pulling Eva off.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

ClapYo'Hands
#8Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 8:50am

Sometimes is, sometimes isn't...depends on the capabilities of the actress playing The Mistress.

Class her as just ensemble if you want but she would be performing one of the most famous songs ever written were she to play the role...

AEA AGMA SM
#9Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 9:39am

"one of the most famous songs ever written"

I had no idea that "Another Suitcase in Another Hall" was that highly regarded.

ClapYo'Hands
#10Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 10:08am

Well, I can't speak for the US, but it's a hugely popular song over here in the UK.

I did mean to say one of the most famous theatre songs, but it stands alone as a hugely popular song generally, too.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#11Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 10:20am

I highly doubt that the Tony-nominated Josefina Scaglione wants to take on a 5 minute bit part, and appear in the ensemble the rest of the evening.

On another note, it appears, based on the audition notice, the rest of the lead roles are cast. Anyone know who the Evita alternate is going to be?

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#12Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 10:38am

^ What he said.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#13Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 10:43am

I was under the impression the Mistress is also Eva's understudy. Is that not the case? I can't see Josefina pulling Eva off.

You're right--she could probably get through one performance singing Evita as written before completely blowing her voice. And I agree that The Mistress is a pretty thankless role for a Tony-nominee who's played one of the most iconic parts in the history of musical theatre.

I'm also wondering who's been cast. I remember there was a rumor that Max Von Essen was cast as Migaldi (as well as understudying Che)--anyone know if that's true?

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#14Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 11:13am

This production is incredibly dance heavy, so whoever is cast as Roger's matinee alternate will already be somewhat unconventional from most women who could sing the role.

Mandy Gonzalez would be an inspired choice. She certainly does a killer "Rainbow High," and she danced her butt off when she toured with Bette Midler. She also has pretty legendary vocal stamina that would certainly come in handy with a score as demanding as EVITA, should the production run long enough for Roger to be replaced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNOtSx_TlXE

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 7/30/11 at 11:13 AM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#15Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 11:22am

I thought of her, too (Eden Espinosa came to mind for me as well, but I have no idea if she can dance).

Would Gonzalez agree to be an alternate? Maybe if she had right of first refusal as the replacement?

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#16Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 11:26am

I'm sure Espinosa will be in the mix. When they were casting the London revival originally, I remember hearing that she went in and delivered a very well-received audition (although I'm not a fan of hers myself.)

I think the opportunity to play a role as coveted as Eva on Broadway in such an esteemed production would lead many actresses who wouldn't normally consider it to be willing to be an alternate, especially given the high probability of being able to take over if the show runs.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#17Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 11:26am

I heard Jessica Lea Patty is the Eva alternate. If not, she's first understudy.

ClapYo'Hands
#18Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 12:10pm

Wow, Mandy's Rainbow High is AMAZING!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#19Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 12:27pm

"Eva on Broadway in such an esteemed production"
It hasn't even opened yet!
And if you are talking about in London, was it really "esteemed"? I heard Ashford's choreography, as usual, was frenetic and had nothing to do with the show.
Did the production get raves? How long did it run?
I have some googling to do.

As for Yosafina, I think she is wrong for the role, too cute, doesn't look to me like she's been with a lot of men, but maybe she could act it. If I was her agent I would advise her to do it (not that we know if she ever even auditioned), It is a great song and a lovely featured role (the only other woman in the show, practically), plenty of TONY nominees and even winners have taken featured roles. One or two even go back to the ensemble, actors like to work. Updated On: 7/30/11 at 12:27 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#20Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 12:36pm

Elena who? Sign Mandy up now! She's got the voice and the bravado to be sensational.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

ajh
#21Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 12:39pm

The London revival of EVITA ran for a year. It was very different from the Hal Prince original, opting to go for realistic, ravishingly beautiful sets, and there was alot more dancing than in the original. Rob Ashford's choreography was, like the new orchestrations, heavily tango-influenced, which seemed, to me anyway, to be entirely suitable to a story set in Argentina....the Buenos Aires number was absolutely thrilling, and a genuine showstopper.
The staging did divide critics and audiences, but there was pretty much uniform praise for Elena Roger, although her strongly accented delivery was a problem for some people. Personally I thought she was sensational...when she was onstage you could not take your eyes off her.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#22Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 12:40pm

Mandy Gonzalez is not human. Jesus!
And she probably wouldn't even need a matinee alternate. She did a year of Elphaba without missing any performances (aside from personal days/vacation).

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 7/30/11 at 12:40 PM

rougeduck Profile Photo
rougeduck
#23Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 12:41pm

She would definitely be a good fit, and I don't see her getting any other offers for a while so she should totes audition or whatever. When I think of people in a tony nominated leading role going into an ensemble later on, I think of Andrea Mcardle.

wicked4l
#24Why isn't Josefina Scaglione not the mistress in Evita?
Posted: 7/30/11 at 12:43pm

I know she was in callbacks or was called in for this show, not sure what part.

Videos