pixeltracker

Jay Armstrong Johnson sings "Goodbye"

Jay Armstrong Johnson sings "Goodbye"

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#1Jay Armstrong Johnson sings "Goodbye"
Posted: 8/14/11 at 2:01pm

Here's a video of Jay Armstrong Johnson singing "Goodbye" from CMIYC, live from LaGuardia Airport.

...Maybe this will satisfy Jay's fanbase for now!
"Goodbye" - Jay A. Johnson

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

HistoryBoy2 Profile Photo
HistoryBoy2
#2Jay Armstrong Johnson sings 'Goodbye'
Posted: 8/14/11 at 2:16pm

That is what I am TALKIN' ABOUT.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#2Jay Armstrong Johnson sings 'Goodbye'
Posted: 8/14/11 at 2:27pm

He has an undeniably fantastic voice, but even just standing there singing the song at a promotional appearance, he doesn't have the least bit of presence or magnetism.

Say what you want about Tveit, but he's proven in both NEXT TO NORMAL and CATCH ME IF YOU CAN that he has electric charisma on stage like no other. You can't teach it.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#3Jay Armstrong Johnson sings 'Goodbye'
Posted: 8/14/11 at 2:31pm

Agreed. He performs as if he's in a boy band.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

littlebutterfly10
#4Jay Armstrong Johnson sings 'Goodbye'
Posted: 8/14/11 at 2:31pm

I agree with you, somethingwicked, both about Tveit and the video of Jay. However, keep in mind that Jay's never performed the song in the context of the show, in front of an audience at least. Realizing that makes me want to see him perform the role in its entirety even more than I already did.

KirbyCat
#5Jay Armstrong Johnson sings 'Goodbye'
Posted: 8/14/11 at 2:35pm

At least he doesn't sing the last note flat guys... Every time I hear/see Tveit do it, I grit my teeth and wait for the last note.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#6Jay Armstrong Johnson sings 'Goodbye'
Posted: 8/14/11 at 2:37pm

The song doesn't do anyone any favors, though. It could possibly be the most boring 11 o'clock number ever written.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

suttonfoster Profile Photo
suttonfoster
#7Jay Armstrong Johnson sings 'Goodbye'
Posted: 8/14/11 at 3:21pm

whatever about Tveit. Atleast Johnson doesn't sing that last note 8 cents flat

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#8Jay Armstrong Johnson sings 'Goodbye'
Posted: 8/14/11 at 3:37pm

That's at JFK (sorry, had to get that out there.)

I'm not sure what I think, he definitely appears to be more age appropriate (how old is he?)... I don't know, I would like to see him somewhere that isn't so... unnatural.

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#9Jay Armstrong Johnson sings 'Goodbye'
Posted: 8/14/11 at 3:41pm

Jay is 23 (his 24th birthday is at the end of the month). I really don't see the marked age difference between him and Tveit that others seem to.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#10Jay Armstrong Johnson sings 'Goodbye'
Posted: 8/14/11 at 3:43pm

Tveit's been singing that score eight times a week for five months, while Johnson's been sitting on the sidelines. Pardon my speculative train of thought, but I think it's slightly understandable if one shows more vocal fatigue than the other.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 8/14/11 at 03:43 PM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#11Jay Armstrong Johnson sings 'Goodbye'
Posted: 8/14/11 at 3:45pm

And when I saw the show a few weeks ago, Tveit was in spectacular voice. No flat notes, nothing off-key...he sounded as fresh as ever.

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#12Jay Armstrong Johnson sings 'Goodbye'
Posted: 8/14/11 at 3:50pm

Yeah he sounded great when I saw it a few weeks ago too and I was prepared for a rough sounding last note but it didn't happen.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#13Jay Armstrong Johnson sings 'Goodbye'
Posted: 8/14/11 at 9:17pm

He's got a good enough voice, but like someone else mentioned, not an ounce of charisma or presence.

And what was with the wild arm movements?
Updated On: 8/14/11 at 09:17 PM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#14Jay Armstrong Johnson sings 'Goodbye'
Posted: 8/14/11 at 9:25pm

Just out of curiosity--is the music canned?

MeggilyWeggily08 Profile Photo
MeggilyWeggily08
#15Jay Armstrong Johnson sings 'Goodbye'
Posted: 8/14/11 at 10:04pm

Beautiful. Updated On: 12/3/11 at 10:04 PM

Sophiia Profile Photo
Sophiia
#16Jay Armstrong Johnson sings 'Goodbye'
Posted: 8/15/11 at 9:56am

I've been hearing lots from Jay's fanbase, so I was curious to hear him sing "Goodbye." I have to say, I wasn't impressed. Watching Jay perform it just proves why Aaron is the one starring in Catch Me. The stage presence is the biggest difference- just watch a video of Aaron performing it: his facial expressions are perfect- but I also didn't love Jay's voice. I agree with what some have said about Aaron being flat on the last note, but most times I've heard it it has been in the context of a Youtube recording of some press event. I've seen him do it live in the show twice and the last note sounded perfect to me both times.

THDavis Profile Photo
THDavis
#17Jay Armstrong Johnson sings 'Goodbye'
Posted: 8/15/11 at 12:15pm

I get annoyed with Tveit's performance and bored with Armstrong's. However, that's the best I've ever heard the Bb sound.

kidbroadway2
#18Jay Armstrong Johnson sings 'Goodbye'
Posted: 8/15/11 at 12:55pm

Off topic, but the guy who understudies Norbert was dreadful. I've never seen something so bland and forced. To be fair though, the number was specifically designed made for Norbert. It's obvious watching.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#19Jay Armstrong Johnson sings 'Goodbye'
Posted: 8/15/11 at 5:44pm

Off topic, but the guy who understudies Norbert was dreadful. I've never seen something so bland and forced. To be fair though, the number was specifically designed made for Norbert. It's obvious watching.

Having seen Joe Cassidy play the role onstage in its entirety, I can tell you he's really very, very good (and I happened to see his first performance). He's not Norbert, but he was excellent nonetheless. I was very pleasantly surprised by his performance.

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#20Jay Armstrong Johnson sings 'Goodbye'
Posted: 8/15/11 at 10:14pm

I still think that Aaron Tveit is better. Like you guys said, Jay doesn't exude any charisma or presence in his performance.

ReggieonBway Profile Photo
ReggieonBway
#21Jay Armstrong Johnson sings 'Goodbye'
Posted: 8/15/11 at 10:20pm

"At least he doesn't sing the last note flat guys... Every time I hear/see Tveit do it, I grit my teeth and wait for the last note."

I've never heard him do it flat live, and I've seen the show three times. Video recordings seem to show him going flat, but I was at Bryant Park and he was totally on pitch.

That said - JAJ's performance is nowhere near Aaron's. He has no stage presence, no charisma, his voice is weak... frankly, I'm not sure how he got the gig in the first place.