pixeltracker

who the hell is Nick Jonas?- Page 2

who the hell is Nick Jonas?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#25who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/10/11 at 2:23pm

Unless you wear blinders in the aisle of the grocery store and only watch the fishing channel on TV, it still surprises me when someone isn't at least vaguely aware of some of these names.

See? There's the ignorance again. They're NOT mentioned on the cover of every magazine, as you say. They're mentioned on the cover of every magazine YOU look at, maybe.

As far as supermarket rags, not everybody waits in the full-service line and picks up the latest People or National Enquirer. Some, like me, use the self-serve checkouts. I scan my own stuff, my coupons, pay the bill, and leave with my senses saved from being assaulted by the media parade.

That's what I mean ... we don't all live our lives the same way.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 9/10/11 at 02:23 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#26who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/10/11 at 2:25pm

I don't understand the idea behind starting a thread professing your own ignorance when about 10 minutes on google could be much more enlightening.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#27who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/10/11 at 2:33pm

I don't understand someone "bragging" about how they don't know someone. That's the part I still find weird, Lizzy.

I fully understand that I avoid certain things. I don't watch regular series TV of any kind. But I'm not going to jump on a message board and say "Who the hell is blah-blah?" with some indignant attitude about it.

I'll look them up first, if I really want to know. There's no pride in ignorance. Even with things I don't care about.

But to say, "I can't believe you don't know who blah-blah is!" That's just as ignorant, as I have pointed out.

So ...

If you don't know who someone is ... look it up. Don't be proudly ignorant about it.

If you're under the illusion that everyone ought to know who someone "famous" is ... think again.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#28who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/10/11 at 2:34pm

I never understand why people will put "(sp?)" after something they type on the internet, when the spelling of any word or name can be confirmed in about two seconds.

jimmycurry01
#29who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/10/11 at 2:41pm

Even at self checkout lanes the magazines are staring you in the face. There are still lines at self checkout lanes. The candy and magazines still sit right there, with the drama of the week posted right there and the names posted on them, some regularly. All the same magazines are in the same racks, still mentioning a collection of names, some are the same names week after week. That is pop-culture my friend. It is true it is taking off into niche groups, but those same 10 to 15 magazines are still there, in EVERY grocery store in EVERY line, including the self check out lines. You can try to deny you don't even notice them there, but yet somehow you know of Paris Hilton, and know she is a slut. You know Britney Spears is a party animal, and you probably know she once shaved her head and flashed her goods. You probably also know that Liz Taylor was dieing about 150 times before she kicked the bucket. How do you still know these things even though you don't look at the magazines? Because you do. Everyone does, and frequently without even realizing it. The supermarket checkout lane is the one place pop-culture still thrives.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#30who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/10/11 at 2:53pm

Okay. You obviously have crystal balls.

You can see absolutely everything I do, everywhere I go, and exactly how and where I focus my eyes when I happen to be walking down a street or standing in a line.

Congratulations on being so very all-knowing. It's impressive.

In the self-serve line of the grocery store I go to, they have the rags behind a rack before you hit the scanner. And I rarely stand in any lines there, so I go right up to the scanner.

Such pride in ignorance.

EDIT: Here's another terrifying shock for you ... some people actually stand in these lines and ... wait for it ... they DON'T read the covers of the rags! How is that possible?! Could it be that they're genuinely not interested?!

EDIT2: Of course I have been exposed to some of the crap. It's inevitable. But I don't seek it out willingly. I don't chase after ambulances, stare at accidents on the freeway, voluntarily read about Brittany Spears's panties, or the latest Kardashian scandal. If it slips by, so be it. I don't recoil from it like a vampire. But given a choice and a conscious decision, I avoid it. There's no real magic to that, either. It's pretty easy to do.

Updated On: 9/10/11 at 02:53 PM

jimmycurry01
#31who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/10/11 at 3:24pm

Apparently my crystal balls are right. Even you still get exposed to the crap. Even you admit there are some names you just can't escape. Pop culture is moving into niche groups, but it is not completely there yet. That is the only point I have been trying to make, and you just made it for me.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#32who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/10/11 at 3:36pm

Well, I don't think I did prove your point, because you seem to equate basic random exposure with comprehension and awareness ... which would mean I would actually stop to read articles and understand which new media "darling" I was looking at. That rarely (if ever) happens. I may well have seen Darren Criss's kisser on a rag cover. It didn't sink in remotely if I did, because A) I don't watch Glee so I wouldn't have recognized him at all, and B) I didn't care either way because it was a rag cover.

Still, if you think I proved your point, that's just wonderful then.

Updated On: 9/10/11 at 03:36 PM

jimmycurry01
#33who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/10/11 at 3:59pm

You should go back and read that post I wrote just before you called out my ignorance. I am only referring to basic knowlede. Their names, to be specific. I mention a few events in the following post because I am willing to bet 95% of people know at least one event that has lead to them seeing or hearing those names, even if they cannot remember where they heard or saw it. People pick up the random tidbits of popculture. My point was there are some names you can't get away from and it seems odd when someone isn't aware or those names. I wasn't even referring to to Jonas at the time.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#34who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/10/11 at 4:13pm

Well, I can tell you that from my "conscientious avoider" perspective, there really are only 2 or 3 names in the media lately that I've become aware of, like it or not. Kim Kardashian and some repulsive creature named Snookie from a reality show called Jersey Shore.

That's it. I don't know what either one of them do. I've never heard either one of them speak, so if they did a V.O. on the radio or TV, I wouldn't recognize them. I don't think I could pick Snookie out of a lineup, because she looks like way too many other cliches which, I'm guessing, is why she was chosen for her TV show. I would have to see her ID'd to connect her to Jersey Shore. That could also be due to my resounding lack of interest in her.

I may very well have seen Darren Criss's enormous "star head" whiz by me on the side of a bus advertising Glee, but, if I did, it didn't register any more than the guy who asked me what time it was at the service counter. I saw hundreds of faces yesterday without IDing them by name. If the guy at the counter was going to replace Ian McKellen in King Lear, I wouldn't have known his name either.

EDIT:

People pick up the random tidbits of popculture. My point was there are some names you can't get away from and it seems odd when someone isn't aware or those names.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. I still find this comment to be ignorant.

Updated On: 9/10/11 at 04:13 PM

hyperbole_and_a_half Profile Photo
hyperbole_and_a_half
#35who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/10/11 at 4:33pm

Ugh, if only you'd "conscientiously avoid" posting in this thread. Your posts in this thread have been the absolute nadir of smugposting. Please go outside and enjoy your weekend.

coryografer Profile Photo
coryografer
#36who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/10/11 at 4:33pm

Yay, Besty....... I am a teacher of high school students and there are plenty of pop culture names I am not aware of, simply because I, as you have stated, have different resources from the students I see every day. I pick up random names from students, but I will say that Nick Jonas is not one of them. My knowledge of Mr. Jonas is from the concert version of Les Miserables. Obviously he has a fan base, but I don't think it includes anyone I know. I do, on the other hand, hear Darren Criss' name tossed about every so often. Just sayin'...............

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#37who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/10/11 at 4:37pm

Thanks, coryografer. And hyperbole_and_a_bore, you have a nice day, too.

ghostlight2
#38who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/10/11 at 4:47pm

Elizabeth Taylor died?

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#39who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/10/11 at 5:04pm

I have barely a handful of people in my circle that I can truly sit down and discuss and share my love of Broadway theater with, that is the truth. The rest know of my interest in it, respect it and acknowledge it but have zero interest in it. I love them all to death..just wish I had more people in my circle that shared my love for theater.

It is what it is. Updated On: 9/10/11 at 05:04 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#40who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/10/11 at 5:49pm

Nothing wrong with niche audiences, Carlos. Find the one that suits you or create your own "audience of one." I'm grateful for the people who are passionate about the same things that I am, from Broadway to old Hollywood movies, etc. I love sharing with them.

And I was pretty disappointed myself when I realized (in my own ignorance) that not everybody knew or cared about the same things I did. The worst part is, as you get older, watching "household names" in the Fame Department that meant and mean so much to you fade away into obscurity.

In just a couple of decades I've witnessed "average people" (sure, the younger crowds) have no idea who Bob Hope is. Or Fred Astaire. Or Greta Garbo. Or Bette Davis. Or Ed Sullivan. Or Johnny Carson.

It's strange to see time move on, and tastes and public awareness shift.

Should I like the people I admire any less? Does it ruin it for me that not "everybody" knows who (blah-blah) is? Not in the least. I realize that most of you know what I'm talking about. BWW is a niche audience, and so is Broadway in general. I learned a long time ago that nothing was worth anything unless I chose to value it. It didn't matter what others thought.

I met a lot of celebrities when I was working on DVDs. Everybody from The Rock to Matt Damon. But I don't think I've ever trembled so much as when I shook hands with Jonathan Tunick after a show in NY when I was 23. He's the one who made me "starstruck," not the others. Most people wouldn't know who he was, but I'm not going to change who and what I value for them.

Updated On: 9/10/11 at 05:49 PM

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#41who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/10/11 at 6:15pm

"Nick Jonas is ten times as well-known and much more popular than Darren Criss, whose claims to fame are a recurring role on Glee and a youtube musical."

So very wrong. He may be well known, but he has absolutely no fanbase beyond the fourteen year old girl obsessives. Darren has a MUCH larger fanbase. Have you ever met anyone below the age of 21?

You're in no place to make a claim like that.

I do not watch Glee, or "YouTube Musicals" and therefore would have no clue if Darren Criss was sitting next to me on a train; I'm sure that's the case for many people. Nick, however, I know.

I'm not a fan of his music, and I haven't watched any of his shows, but from excess media coverage, his theatrical experiences, and campaign work he does for diabetes awareness, I've seen a lot more of him than of Darren.

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

pinoyidol2006 Profile Photo
pinoyidol2006
#42who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/10/11 at 9:52pm

When I read "crystal balls" above, my mind just went to a completely different place.

I like your imperturbable perspicacity.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#43who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/10/11 at 9:55pm

Ugh, if only you'd "conscientiously avoid" posting in this thread. Your posts in this thread have been the absolute nadir of smugposting. Please go outside and enjoy your weekend.

And this isn't?

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#44who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/10/11 at 11:58pm

And here i thought it was refreshing for someone (albeit me)
to admit he had never heard of someone as opposed to all of you who seem to know everything about everything.

I did google him. And he was in a band.. and on a nickelodean series... and did a production of les mis in London.

It just didn't seem very impressive.

Broadway Accross America decided hired Daniel Radcliffe so that
his Broadway Musical Debut would inspire little girls to get their parents to take them to the theatre. That of course worked!

I guess they are betting on the Nick Jonas
to do the same.

I still, after googling him.. do not know he is.
Now I simply know of him.

snl89
#45who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/11/11 at 1:17am

... It seems kind of silly to me to debate about who's more famous. I mean obviously at this point in time, Nick is probably more widely known, especially among the tween girl audience.

But for what it's worth, Darren DOES have a pretty darn solid fan base himself (he did a few solo concerts in London, and the tickets sold out for all of them within like 1 minute I believe. Granted the venues were small, but still! It was less than a minute). And he's only doing it for 3 weeks, so in terms of ticket sales I doubt there will be any problem. Could he sustain a long term run based on his name alone? Nah, probably not. But that's not the attempt, so I don't see what it really matters.

Personally, I'll be very much looking forward to seeing Darren, and have no desire to see Nick :)

Darren may not have your typical super flawless Broadway voice, but he's certainly every bit as vocally capable as Daniel- probably more so, actually- and his voice is just plain lovely to listen to.. for me at least (exhibit A: https://youtu.be/me1ZNMxRqpE). He's also got charisma and charm like crazy, and great comedic timing, so I think he should be great for this role.

I really don't know that much about Nick, but I've never particularly been a fan of his voice and from the clip I saw of him in Les Mis his acting didn't really grab me either. Not to say he's not talented, he's just not my cup of tea. Darren is :)

Anyway, I'm just not sure what the point of debating who is more well known is haha. Yes, Nick is more well known. No, that doesn't really matter since Darren is only going to be there for 3 weeks anyway, and it certainly doesn't mean Nick is better for the role or anything like that.

Also, just for the record, for those who haven't seen A Very Potter Musical/Sequel- if you're a Harry Potter fan at all, you should look it up! They're genuinely really enjoyable and fun who the hell is Nick Jonas?

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#46who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/11/11 at 1:50am

I'm aware of the Jonas Bros. from what I've seen on entertainment sites and magazines but I've never actually heard a single song/single from them. My first exposure to Nick Jonas's "singing" was from the LES MIZ 25th and nothing else since then. He's a terrible performer and singer based on what I saw. Maybe he's better with whatever material he and his siblings peddle.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#47who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/11/11 at 1:51am

Broadway Accross America decided hired Daniel Radcliffe so that
his Broadway Musical Debut would inspire little girls to get their parents to take them to the theatre. That of course worked!

Could a native English speaker please rephrase this?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#48who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/11/11 at 3:11am

So the OP created a provocatively titled thread in the hopes of turning attention where he/she feels attention is warranted--discussion of Nick Jonas. Y'all making this far more complicated than it is.

The "ignorance" is more a way to get the ball rolling. I'm sure the OP very well knows that a simple Google search would sufficiently answer his/her question, but that isn't as fun as sparking discussion on Jonas, thus getting more than just the basic facts. Maybe the OP HAS heard of him enough that he rubs him the wrong way and this is a way to start a dialogue to see if anyone else feels the same way, hence the clearly negative tone and wording of the thread title.

Or maybe he/she is just an attention whore. So what? Not like any of us post here to be ignored.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#49who the hell is Nick Jonas?
Posted: 9/11/11 at 9:07am

Nick Jonas not as famous as Darren Criss? huh? are you serious?