#25Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/4/11 at 11:30pm

The song list

Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#26Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/4/11 at 11:36pm

VERY pleased to see that "Dyin' Ain't So Bad" is performed on its own by Bonnie. Also interesting to see that the duet of it is sung at the end. Will be very interesting to hear how that works! Can anyone give some spoilers about the ending?

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#27Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/4/11 at 11:36pm

Oh, Jesus. Wow. Lots of changes.

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#28Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/4/11 at 11:39pm

Also, can anyone tell us what the Act 1 finale is like? I read on one of the blogs that Bonnie & Clyde drive off together in a car... what's the staging like?

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#29Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/4/11 at 11:42pm

I am dying to hear how this was...

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#30Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/4/11 at 11:44pm

Back from the first preview and it went pretty smoothly. No tech issues aside from a mic going in and out now and then, but the set and lighting all went off without a hitch.

As for the show itself you will find none of the cringe worthy Wonderland lurking here. It's a completely respectable, if a bit uninspired look at Bonnie and Clyde. The music in tuneful, but the orchestrations really take you out of the 30s period. I think Wildhorn's score would be much better served if they reorchestrated the songs to match the era. The lyrics are simple, but not the normal laugh inducing stuff you would find in Count of Monte Cristo. I think it helps that the characters are a bunch of uneducated, poverty-stricken people and therefore wouldn't be expected to sing in Sondheim like verse.

The book is more problematic than the score. Basically there's not a lot of tension or plot in the first act. It really takes too long for things to getting cooking. I want Bonnie and Clyde to be exciting and titillating. Basically I would condense what they covered in the entire first act into the first 20 minutes of a play and then get to the excitement of act 2.

The best thing about this production is the casting of the two leads. Laura Osnes is really a true star and I wish her a lot of success. She sang the crap out of her "Someone Like You" act two number and really has charisma to spare. Jeremy Jordan has an equally appealing voice and I found him a believable Clyde.

Unfortunately the talented Claybourne Elder, who plays Clyde's brother Buck, isn't given much to do. He has a rather extraneous duet with Jeremy about driving cars that could frankly be cut. Louis Hobson also has a boring solo turned "In Lily's Eyes" duet with Jeremy that went on for way too long.

Overall it was alright and nothing to complain about, but nothing really to write home about either. It never moved me emotionally or intellectually- it was just kind of there.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

WhizzerMarvin
#31Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/4/11 at 11:48pm

I was a bit distracted during the act one finale, but yes they do drive off in the car together singing about how they will be remembered.

The reason I was distracted was because the woman in front of me turned on her phone and proceeded to listen to her voicemail! She was completely unphased by the dirty looks and normally I would be the first to tell her to put her phone away, but I had never seen anyone actually listening to voicemails before and couldn't believe it, so looked on with curiosity.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#32Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today

^The first act was much better constructed in La Jolla. It's basically fallen apart with every change since. The chase element with the Sheriff on their trail after they escape has mostly been eliminated which is probably why it felt so slow to start.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#33Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today

Very different from La Jolla but similar to Asolo's song list. Glad that they took out "The Devil."

La Jolla:
- Short Order World
- This World Will Remember Me
- Long Arm of the Law
- You're Goin' Back to Jail
- This Never Happened Before
- God's Arms Are Always Open
- You Can Do Better Than Him
- You Love Who You Love
- Sixteen Years
- This World Will Remember Us
- Long Arm of the Law (Reprise)
- I'll Never Leave You
- You're Not Goin' Back to Jail
- What Was Good Enough for You
- Bonnie
- The Devil
- These Are What You Call Guns
- Dyin' Ain't So Bad
- How 'Bout A Dance
- God's Arms Are Always Open (Reprise)
- Long Arm of the Law (Reprise, 2)
- This World Will Remember Us (Reprise)

Asolo:
- Picture Show
- This World Will Remember Me
- You’re Goin’ Back To Jail
- How ‘Bout A Dance
- When I Drive
- God’s Arms Are Always Open
- You Can Do Better Than Him
- You Love Who You Love
- I’m Ready
- This World Will Remember Us
- Made In America
- Too Late To Turn Back Now
- That’s What You Call A Dream
- What Was Good Enough For You
- Bonnie
- The Devil
- Raise A Little Hell
- Dyin’ Ain’t So Bad
- God’s Arms Are Always Open (reprise)
- This World Will Remember Us (reprise)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#34Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/4/11 at 11:49pm

The orchestra only has 8 players? Yikes.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#35Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/4/11 at 11:55pm

I saw the show at La Jolla and thought it had great potential. I loved Stark Sands so I'll be interested to see Jeremy Jordan in the role.

Of course the two nude scenes made Mr. Sands performance more interesting but I have heard these have been cut.

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#36Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/4/11 at 11:55pm

I actually really liked it, but I do agree that the first act is SO slow. It gets really great, and then intermission happens. The two are just kind of milling around talking about their hopes and dreams during the first act, and finally run off when the act ends.

The music is pretty great, and everyone in it has a stellar voice. Jeremy and Laura are an excellent match in the leading roles.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#37Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/4/11 at 11:56pm

adamgreer, I counted nine from that picture. Still, not a whole lot. If its not orchestrated in the style of the era, why so few?

bwayphreak234
#38Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/4/11 at 11:56pm

What is the set like?

iluvtheatertrash
#39Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/4/11 at 11:57pm

Just got back. Going to write a quick review before I crash:

1. The score is fantastic. Hands down, Wildhorn's best score. A couple ballads go on a little long, but the majority of the score is fantastic.

2. Mark my words: Jeremy Jordan will be a massive star. He is absolutely incredible in this role - astonishing, even. I can't wait to go back after opening and see him fully blossomed in it. Just... amazing.

3. Laura Osnes is fantastic. The role is not as showy as Clyde, but she sings the hell out of it.

4. Blanche -- Melissa Van der (something) -- is walking away with the show. She is one ferocious talent (and reminds me a lot of Mary Steenburgen).

5. There are some moments in the book (which, for the most part is very strong) that got some awkward laughter. I think, in their attempt at playing true to the era, some things have gotten a little cheesey. With time, I think these things will be fixed.

6. The lighting and set are fantastic. And once they work out the kinks, the magic of it all will be very very wonderful, I think.

7. There were a lot of sound problems tonight. I heard a lot of moaning and groaning about it at the stage door and at intermission. Get over it is what I say. First preview.

8. Jeremy Jordan is incredible. Yes, this deserved another mention.

And for those of you wondering, the cast was lovely at the stage door. Absolutely sweet and gracious. And Frank chatted with me for a few at intermission -- totally sweet and very curious to hear my serious thoughts.

I really enjoyed it - and went in expecting a disaster. Is it perfect? Nah. Can it be? I think so! And that 'Dyin Ain't So Bad'? Wow. WHAT a song!

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#40Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 12:01am

What's the situation with gunshots in this show? I imagine a ton of them throughout, no?

jas1234
#41Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 12:02am

This is surprisingly good. Its major assets are the Wildhorn score (I think it's his best)complemented by the solid lyrics of Don Black; Laura Osnes and Jeremy Jordan are very persuasive as Bonnie and Clyde. The first act drags. I didn't care for the use of Bonnie and Clyde as kids-- their dreams and how they evolved- seems pretty pat. There is a fairly extraneous and 'Broadway' musical comedy scene set in a beauty parlor. I wish there were more edge in the certainly serviceable book; really did like the look of the show and felt Jeff Calhoun's staging was excellent-- the second act moved quickly to the inexorable conclusion. It's a 3 out of 4 star show at this juncture and can only become better in previews, with some judicious cutting.

iluvtheatertrash
#42Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 12:04am

Tons of gunshots. After a while it got to be a bit much, but it's expected with this show.

I agree - Act One is very slow. I think that if they eliminate Louis Hobson's song (sorry bud), they'll be golden. (With a few interior cuts as well to other scenes, obviously.)

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#43Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 12:06am

Add me to the list of first-preview goers that expected another Wildhorn disaster.. and what a surprise. GREAT score. Book needs a bit of work, but i'm sure they'll be able to work it out during previews. Laura and Jeremy are WONDERFUL. Definitely going back after they open.

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.

iluvtheatertrash
#44Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 12:07am

So glad to see people in agreement. This is FAR from the disaster I expected. It's a little wooden in parts, as I mentioned, but I really think that if they edit this SMARTLY and CONSERVATIVELY, they will have a wonderful show on their heads.

It is my hope, even though I know it won't happen, that the critics go in with open minds. Doubtful...

bwayphreak234
#45Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 12:07am

I am so glad to be reading some decent reviews about a Wildhorn show!

broadway7117
#46Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 12:08am

Yes I too am curious about the gunshots. Over amplified gunshots in various shows i've seen have triggered some pretty crazy arrhythmias haha. I dread them. Though i'm seeing this show regardless!

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#47Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 12:08am

I want this show to do well just because I think the two leads are fantastic.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

WhizzerMarvin
#48Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 12:12am

There is a whole lotta gunshots going on and they are loud. I guess you should expect that with this subject material though.

I did think the score was generally strong, but the orchestrations really lessened the impact of the songs for me. Everytime the songs started it took me out of the period. I really think they would play better if reorchestrated.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#49Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 12:13am

Ok, just got home from the first preview. I went in hoping for the best but mentally preparing for the disaster some had been predicting just in case. In any event, below are my comments. Please be warned there are spoilers.

I've only seen one other show in previews before. I've seen many musicals but don't usually have the time or desire to drop money before reading some reviews and hearing some feedback. That being said, I was excited to see B & C and I got cheap tickets and timing worked out, so I figured I'd try it. To get all of this out of the way, there were few mistakes. Jeremy's mic cut in and out for one or two scenes in the second act but no other noticeable issues that can't be rectified by opening night. I was very happy this show was very much audience-ready, considering it was the first preview.

Overall: I think the show was very well done. The leads, Laura Osnes and Jeremy Jordan are phenomenal. Laura really got to show off her voice on "Dyin' Ain't So Bad" and "How 'Bout a Dance" which are both strong numbers. I wish Jeremy had another big song but his "Raise a Little Hell" solo was also a highlight. The rest of the cast had few if any opportunities to stand out. Claybourne Elder (Buck Barrow) had only a few numbers but he was strong as well. Melissa Van Der Schyff (Blanche Barrow) was also very enjoyable but again she wasn't given an opportunity to stand out.

Moving on to the show itself, the score is very enjoyable. Lots of songs that would definitely make a purchase of the OBCR worth it including "The World Will Remember Us", "Raise a Little Hell", "God's Arms are Always Open", "Dyin' Ain't So Bad" to name my favorites.

The first act was definitely a bit sluggish and I was shocked when I checked my watch and it was only about an hour and 15 minutes long. As someone mentioned above, "When I Drive" (a song about Clyde/Buck singing about driving expensive cars) could certainly be cut as well as most of that scene. Some of the dialogue in the first act especially seemed contrived and slowed down the pace of the show a lot. It wasn't terrible, it was mostly just boring in the occassional long stretches of dialogue.

The second act had far less dialogue and was much faster-paced. I thought this act was the stronger of the two. The book, overall was fairly consistent and didn't seem bogged down with all of the issues plaguing Wonderland. There were no corny, out of place jokes, there was a coherent story line, etc.

For those wondering: I couldn't snap a picture of the show curtain since the usher yelled at me but it was a projection that said "1934" on three vertical panels of wood that streched from the stage to the ceiling. These panels were used throughout the set as they would raise/lower throughout the show to reveal different rooms and scenes. Overall, the set was pretty minimalist but very functional and fitting with the show.

Lastly, I saw Wildhorn as I was walking out. He was shaking a bunch of hands and he seemed very excited, maybe even a bit relieved.

The show, while not a sensation, is very strong and certainly worth a viit. Good luck to the cast and crew!

If you have any additional questions, feel free to post and I'll do my best to answer them.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.
Updated On: 11/5/11 at 12:13 AM