pixeltracker

Shows With Jewish Targeted Humor?

Shows With Jewish Targeted Humor?

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#1Shows With Jewish Targeted Humor?
Posted: 11/27/11 at 8:04pm

I was talking with a friend of mine who is also into musicals, about shows with humor which is aimed at Jewish people, obviously The Producers is the one that springs to mind, was this the first show to make fun out of Jewish people? Can you think of any other shows and what they say?

ghostlight2
#2Shows With Jewish Targeted Humor?
Posted: 11/27/11 at 8:20pm

I'm not sure what you mean by " to make fun out of Jewish people". That sounds to me like making fun of Jewish people, which I don't think The Producers did. If you mean shows that use Jewish humor - well, hell, they've been around as long as the Jews have. The most recent one I can think of was The People in the Picture, which, despite its pathos, focussed quite a bit on the humor of Yiddish theater.

Though if you're looking for specific earlier examples, Gypsy is one. Updated On: 11/27/11 at 08:20 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#2Shows With Jewish Targeted Humor?
Posted: 11/27/11 at 8:27pm

Any Jackie Mason show.

Poster Emeritus

Gaveston2
#3Shows With Jewish Targeted Humor?
Posted: 11/27/11 at 8:36pm

Jewish humor--like Jewish harmonies--is so central to the American musical, it would be easier to list shows that DON'T employ a Jewish comical sensibility.

(In case anyone wonders, this is by no means a complaint. As Mel Brooks once wrote, "Without Jews, fags and gypsies, there would be no theater." Substitute African-Americans for gypsies and you have the historical recipe of the American musical.)

bwaylvsong
#4Shows With Jewish Targeted Humor?
Posted: 11/27/11 at 8:38pm

Fiddler on the Roof

JKlock Profile Photo
JKlock
#5Shows With Jewish Targeted Humor?
Posted: 11/27/11 at 8:47pm

Spamalot

http://two-sails.blogspot.com/

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#6Shows With Jewish Targeted Humor?
Posted: 11/27/11 at 9:03pm

"You won't succeed on Broadway if you don't have any Jews."

New York City's theatre scene has a massive Jewish presence (actors, directors, writers, etc.) and Jewish jokes, culture, and tradition thus play a pretty major role in shaping the industry. I'm not saying it's positive or negative, it just is.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

SingOutLouise2 Profile Photo
SingOutLouise2
#7Shows With Jewish Targeted Humor?
Posted: 11/27/11 at 9:05pm

Funny Girl

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#8Shows With Jewish Targeted Humor?
Posted: 11/27/11 at 9:05pm

Pacific Overtures

Gaveston2
#9Shows With Jewish Targeted Humor?
Posted: 11/27/11 at 9:06pm

Well, I'm one goy who has no trouble saying the Jewish influence has been and continues to be very positive indeed.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#10Shows With Jewish Humor?
Posted: 11/27/11 at 9:08pm

Watch your phrasing! The word "targeted" in your subject line and the phrase "make fun out of" make your post seem to be offensive, at least to American ears.

Assuming your post was NOT anti-Jewish, the answer to your question is that Irving Berlin was probably the first, starting around 1910, with a series of songs he wrote for Jewish-dialect comedians, like the young Fanny Brice, with titles like "Yiddisha Nightingale," "Becky Is Back in De Ballet," "Jake! Jake! De Yiddisha Ball Player," and the classic "Sadie Salome, Go Home!"

In this clip from the 1936 movie The Great Ziegfeld, Fanny Brice sings the 1910 "Yidl, With Your Fiddle, Play Some Ragtime":

http://youtu.be/NTwq_Fxr5ak

Here's an interesting page on "Sadie Salome":

http://sadiesalome.com/about.html?KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=600&width=800

Updated On: 11/27/11 at 09:08 PM

goober1632
#11Shows With Jewish Humor?
Posted: 11/27/11 at 9:43pm

Falsettos - the whole show
Wedding Singer - Today You Are a Man, George's Prayer
Hairspray - Velma's Revenge

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#12Shows With Jewish Humor?
Posted: 11/27/11 at 10:49pm

"A Broadway Musical" had a camp number called "Yenta Power," literally about the power Jewish matinee ladies had to control a show's success or failure.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#13Shows With Jewish Humor?
Posted: 11/27/11 at 10:59pm

I'm scratching my head after reading the first post regarding The Producers ostensibly "making fun out of Jewish people." All I can come up with is that The Producers made fun of Hitler. Am I missing something here?

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#14Shows With Jewish Humor?
Posted: 11/27/11 at 11:02pm

Jane- there were jokes throughout the producers about Jews like, "let's play a game where there's absolutely no sex: The Jewish princess and her husband."

I don't know if it was lines like this that made the OP think that.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#15Shows With Jewish Humor?
Posted: 11/27/11 at 11:13pm

Thanks Whizzer- and it just occurred to me that I saw the show so long ago, that I was referencing the films instead.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#16Shows With Jewish Humor?
Posted: 11/27/11 at 11:22pm

Rags had that Hamlet number that's rather cute.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

gypsy4
#17Shows With Jewish Humor?
Posted: 11/27/11 at 11:45pm

Hairspray!- You're Timeless to me
Updated On: 11/27/11 at 11:45 PM

beccaface Profile Photo
beccaface
#18Shows With Jewish Humor?
Posted: 11/28/11 at 2:45am

Make Me A Song, which is half revue and half Falsettos, has songs such as "Four Jews In A Room Bitching" and "Passover". William Finn is Jewish and a lot of his work has either traces of what can be called Jewish humor, or is just outright loud and proud of it's Jewish humor.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#19Shows With Jewish Humor?
Posted: 11/28/11 at 3:01am

It's not on Broadway but I saw Shoulda Been You at the George Street Playhouse. It was about the wedding of a Jewish woman and a Catholic man and their mothers (played by Tyne Daly and Harriet Harris respectively). The religious humor went both ways.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#20Shows With Jewish Humor?
Posted: 11/28/11 at 9:57am

My Mother's Lesbian Jewish Wiccan Wedding (Not on Broadway - at Toronto Fringe and NYMF)

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#21Shows With Jewish Humor?
Posted: 11/28/11 at 12:11pm

Shows without Jewish humor (excluding, of course, the multitude of shows without any humor at all):

Me And My Girl

and, um....