pixeltracker

Phantom 25th BluRay - New Vocals?

Phantom 25th BluRay - New Vocals?

GobiasIndustries
#1Phantom 25th BluRay - New Vocals?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 10:54am

I viewed the BluRay last night and was shocked to see that Ramin has apparently re-recorded the vocals to much of his performance. He sounds much different than in the theater. I have a DVD copy of the original production shown in movie theaters, and his vocal performance is VERY different (and better, in my opinion) than on the BluRay. Quite a few camera angels were changed as well, which was to be expected, but I was surprised to hear new vocals from The Phantom. I was really looking forward to this BluRay, but now it looks like I'll have to stick to the original DVD. I also added the audio of the original DVD to my iPod, so I suppose I won't be needing the new CD. Has anyone else noticed this?

thesixtyfirstpupil Profile Photo
thesixtyfirstpupil
#2Phantom 25th BluRay - New Vocals?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 11:26am

I noticed it too, but it didn't bother me that much because I was expecting vocal touch-ups. Especially during Hannibal, because your could barely hear the chorus in the theaters. Very enjoyable DVD though.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2Phantom 25th BluRay - New Vocals?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 1:00pm

Does Sierra Boggess still sing sharp?

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
#3Phantom 25th BluRay - New Vocals?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 1:32pm

Dont forget the finished edit on DVD is different to what was Shown in cinemas as it is not live, it is compiled of all three performances.

For me the most shocking thing of the blu ray is how poor the HD is

justafan2
#4Phantom 25th BluRay - New Vocals?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 3:17pm

Is it worth getting this BluRay DVD---I have it on order--but maybe I should change the order to the regular DVD???

beautywickedlover
#5Phantom 25th BluRay - New Vocals?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 3:59pm

"Dont forget the finished edit on DVD is different to what was Shown in cinemas as it is not live, it is compiled of all three performances."

They also did that for the digital download of the Open Air Theatre production of 'Into the Woods'.

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
#6Phantom 25th BluRay - New Vocals?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 4:03pm

Others may disagree but I personally found the blu ray to be a bit grainy at times, especially when its manly black on screen. It just wasnt as sharp as i expected or compared to other HD stuff. I wish I had stuck with the DVD, but thats just me

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#7Phantom 25th BluRay - New Vocals?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 5:02pm

"Does Sierra Boggess still sing sharp?"

Yes, she does.

LayerBoy4
#8Phantom 25th BluRay - New Vocals?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 5:15pm

Indeed, it seems they tried to take out a good deal of Ramin's speak-singing, or where he chose to give us line readings instead of the notes. Also, they used bits of "Music of the Night" where he gets the melody right.

It seems as though they left Sierra's vocals completely untouched, which is depressing. I have a feeling she probably pushed less and wasn't as sharp at the performances that weren't broadcast live. Maybe they just decided it wasn't much of a problem since it only bothers the 20 percent of us that have strong pitch discrepancy? Faillllllll.

Not hating on Sierra though - I thought it was beautifully acted and well sung, but she really was about a quarter tone sharp on 60 percent of the money notes. Bless her.

Updated On: 12/22/11 at 05:15 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#9Phantom 25th BluRay - New Vocals?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 9:27pm

She has a lovely voice, but with serious pitch problems on her high notes (as others have said). It's more than a little distracting to me.

I think it's actually her vibrato that's the culprit. It tends to "warble up" instead of either down or holding steady. Almost as if she's trilling the note a quarter step up.

Probably way over analyzing it ... but the bottom line is she's sharp on her high notes, and despite having a powerful voice, it makes me seriously cringe. It's Betsy Joslyn in Sweeney Todd all over again.

Updated On: 12/22/11 at 09:27 PM

Mattbrain
#10Phantom 25th BluRay - New Vocals?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 10:23pm

I will take a million Sierra Boggesses over Betsy friggin' Joslyn any day.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#11Phantom 25th BluRay - New Vocals?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 10:31pm

True. Sierra only goes a quarter-step off on her high notes.

Betsy went up a flight of stairs into to another show.

thesixtyfirstpupil Profile Photo
thesixtyfirstpupil
#12Phantom 25th BluRay - New Vocals?
Posted: 12/22/11 at 11:17pm

best12, I have never laughed at anything on the internet that was genuinely funny until I read your comment. That woman...oh God. She went cross-eyed one too many times for me during "Greenfinch..."

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#13Phantom 25th BluRay - New Vocals?
Posted: 12/23/11 at 1:19am

Although I do agree that she tends to go a tiny bit sharp on higher notes, I think she really is one of the better Christine's. I find her voice to be really pleasant and not so shrill like I find many of the girls that have played her (Brightman....)
Again...I'm not disputing she had her mistakes, but coming from someone to dies whenever they hear a faulty note, I still adored her voice.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#14Phantom 25th BluRay - New Vocals?
Posted: 8/26/12 at 4:30pm

Honestly, I have never heard a live peformance where Christine was not sharp. Maybe its the score because a BL of the Original Broadway company had Sarah singing sharp a lot.

So forgetting that for a moment, Sierra may very well be my favorite. She seems to handle the demands of the score very well.

Visually, I really think Emmy Rossum is beautiful to look at in the role.

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

Videos