Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/11/12 at 11:15am

Any word on this? Talk seems to have just died.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#2Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/11/12 at 11:55am

No, nothing. The last sort of official word was several months ago when she was being interviewed and she said, "when, and if I do it."

I'm a huge Barbra fan, but I'll be the first to say that this just isn't a good idea.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#2Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/11/12 at 12:06pm

The last talk about it was back in August when she said it was still on. Can't find anything since then. But even then she said "We just have to find our team and a writer," said Streisand.

Read more: https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Barbra-Streisand-Says-GYPSY-Film-Still-On-20110818#ixzz1jAcW31cq

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#3Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/11/12 at 12:12pm

It may have died with Arthur Laurents; I know he was supposed to meet with a writer/director/producer out in LA to discuss the project, but then he died. Streisand had said they would move on and he had given them his blessing, but I dunno...I still don't think Streisand is a good choice at all for Grandma Rose.

Dollypop
#4Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/11/12 at 12:14pm

Oh, stop this nonsense about "Grandma Rose"! That Streisand Woman could play Rose just as effectively as Lucille Ball played Mame.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Brick
#5Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/11/12 at 12:28pm

What's most disturbing about her Rose is that it's a few years off. There's no script yet. There's no director yet. If this was fast-tracked, it still wouldn't be shot until later in 2012 and released in 2013. So, she'd be how old, then?

I'm not saying it couldn't still happen, but a 73-year old Rose is insanity.

Jordan Catalano
#6Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/11/12 at 12:33pm

Maybe she can be the Witch in INTO THE WOODS. And no, I'm not joking.

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#7Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/11/12 at 1:31pm

Jordan, u beautiful avatar u...THAT IS ACTUALLY A GOOD IDEA...babs as the WITCH...we know she can sing the songs...:)

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#8Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/11/12 at 1:40pm

It ain't happening...

But I can guess that she'll be doing Roses Turn next time she dos a concert!

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#9Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/11/12 at 2:01pm

Speaking of Streisand. Has anyone seen her son Jason lately? He has been looking quite hot latly. See him at Golds every once in a while . Quite the honey. Big arms and hairy chest with a trail. Hmmmmm

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Gothampc
#10Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/11/12 at 2:04pm

Word on the street is that she's trying to get James to play Herbie and Jason to play Tulsa. It has been whispered that the reason Arthur died was because Barbra approached him about changing the script so that Jason could play Lou(ise).

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#11Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/11/12 at 3:15pm

I'm all for keeping it all in the family Gotham!

Josh Brolin as Mr. Goldstone, Diane Lane as Miss Cratchitt, Elliot Gould as Papa

and featuring Roz Kind as Amanda, the Toreadorable formerly known as Agnes.

nybearhugz Profile Photo
nybearhugz
#12Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/12/12 at 12:29pm

Let's hope this really bad idea is putto bed. Do we really need Grandma Rose on screen?

Jordan Catalano
#13Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/12/12 at 12:34pm

Grandma Rose.

Never heard that before. Original.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#14Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/12/12 at 12:38pm

Yet appropriate.

My big problem with Streisand (other than the obvious age thing) is that I don't think she can act anymore. She's way too safe in her choices when she sings anything (if she sings anything). It's all so prefabricated and calculated. All well within a comfort zone.

Exactly what you don't want from an actress for any part. Especially a role as good as Rose.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

chickfila
#15Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/12/12 at 12:45pm

I'm a big Streisand fan, but I don't think she has really "acted" since Nuts - a great performance in a mediocre film. She needs a really strong director and outside of Yentl, I don't think she can really direct herself.

As for taking chances when singing, she just doesn't have the pipes anymore to take those chances. While I would love to see what she can do with Rose, my fear is that she can no longer sing the role.

I do think she is too old for the part, but she does look great lately and as for acting, word on the street is that her next movie "My Mother's Curse" (or "Guilt Trip") is quite good - so much so that Paramount moved it from March 2012 to November 2012.

Keeping fingers crossed for one more great musical performance. It's been a long time coming.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#16Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/12/12 at 12:47pm

I think she's up for the challenge of doing something. Even something musical. Just not Rose.

She's chasing windmills with that one.

chickfila
#17Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/12/12 at 12:50pm

Chasing windmills? How about Aldonza in a Man of La Mancha flick? She has made a small career out of playing prostitutes on film.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#18Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/12/12 at 12:56pm

There comes a time when even a prostitute has to turn in her garters ...

I think 70 years of age is easily that time.

henrikegerman
#19Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/12/12 at 1:19pm

I can actually see her, with the right direction (NOT HERS), being quite good as Arkadina in The Seagull or Ranevskaya in The Cherry Orchard.

Jordan Catalano
#20Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/12/12 at 1:28pm

There's a lot she'd be good at. As strange a choice as it is for her to do, I'm looking forward to her movie with Seth Rogan coming out this year.

Gothampc
#21Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/12/12 at 1:30pm

"I can actually see her, with the right direction (NOT HERS), being quite good as Arkadina in The Seagull or Ranevskaya in The Cherry Orchard."

Maybe if those show are relocated to Brooklyn. She's never been able to set aside her accent and she shouldn't touch the classics because of it.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Jordan Catalano
#22Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/12/12 at 1:32pm

Is she too old for Peter in a PETER PAN remake?

SoCalDirector
#23Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/12/12 at 1:37pm

Interestingly enough with all this chatter I was thinking about that wonderful group in Los Angeles some years ago called Charity Parody. They did gay revisionist versions of famous Broadway shows- West Hollywood Side Story, West Hollywood Gypsy and my favorite was Oliver Twisted!
A well known female impersonator (forgot who it was, I want to say Wayland Flowers) was cast as Papa Rose but was replaced by Barry Dennen shortly before opening. In this version Gypsy was male and June was a lesbian. Dennen in addition to being Pontius Pilate on Bwy and the film of Jesus Christ Superstar wrote his autobiography talking about being young Barbra's boyfriend until she caught him with a man and actually having coached her for her gig at the gay bar where her career got started.

Miles Robert Mills

henrikegerman
#24Any News On Streisand's GYPSY?
Posted: 1/12/12 at 2:13pm

"Maybe if those show are relocated to Brooklyn. She's never been able to set aside her accent and she shouldn't touch the classics because of it."

If she couldn't standardize her accent, it would certainly be a problem, but I find it hard to believe that someone with her vocal instrument and talent couldn't do it. In any event, whether she can or can't seems a matter of conjecture as - other than Melinda in On A Clear Day, which was a goof, and played as one - we don't have much to go on.

Read more: https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?page=1&thread=1040858&boardname=&boardid=1#ixzz1jGySCLAs

Videos