Tony Vincent on the Voice...

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#1Tony Vincent on the Voice...
Posted: 2/20/12 at 8:59pm

Now

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#2Tony Vincent on the Voice...
Posted: 2/20/12 at 9:07pm

I thought he sounded horrible. Kinda surprised.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2Tony Vincent on the Voice...
Posted: 2/20/12 at 9:09pm

He didn't sound too hot, and he used the dreaded "My real passion is to have a pop/rock career" line.

supportivemom Profile Photo
supportivemom
#3Tony Vincent on the Voice...
Posted: 2/20/12 at 9:10pm

I thought he sounded horrible too! Same for the gospel guy who just "sang" Marvin Gaye- very disappointing!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#4Tony Vincent on the Voice...
Posted: 2/20/12 at 9:18pm

I'm a fan of his but that was God awful.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#5Tony Vincent on the Voice...
Posted: 2/20/12 at 9:19pm

And he needs to eat a sandwich.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#6Tony Vincent on the Voice...
Posted: 2/20/12 at 9:22pm

I've never been a fan of Tony's, but I thought that was especially rough, even for him. I am surprised Cee Lo turned around.

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#7Tony Vincent on the Voice...
Posted: 2/20/12 at 9:25pm

He can sound so much better than he did on The Voice. And yeah, he's so skinny he actually looks ill. I hope he's not. I used to think he was so cute back in his old Christian music days. haha

RockStarNYC
#8Tony Vincent on the Voice...
Posted: 2/20/12 at 9:44pm

Honestly, kinda liked it. He just brought some serious grunge to the song, maybe admittedly a bit too much, but I'm sure as the season progresses, he'll show off more of his arsenal. Hopefully, CeeLo doesn't make him go TOO overboard.

Tsao5
#9Tony Vincent on the Voice...
Posted: 2/20/12 at 11:38pm

For many B'way actors who have bands, or want solo careers as rockers they discover that their bread and butter...how they make decent money for themselves and their families......... is, when shows are available, broadway.

They might cut an album (often produced by themselves) at some point that some musical theater fans might buy, have a song on itunes maybe,but as is often the case, the cd's sit in a box in their basement and they continue to play occasional gigs on the college circuit or downtown.

Not saying their bands are bad or anything like that, or that their original music is bad, some is great. Adam Pascal comes to mind. But the idea of a somewhat established Broadway/West End person breaking away and becoming a money making rocker I believe is rare. In fact, I cannot think of anyone.

Perhaps once musical theater guy Adam Lambert is an example of someone who is doing ok, and Matt Morrison has a pretty good solo career rising (though that was largely due to his exposure on Glee). Other than that not sure.

T. Vincent saying he wants to be a rocker or anything like that is fine. Nobody minds that he says stuff like that, he certainly doesn't burn any bridges with anyone in the business for that. It's his dream, he should go for it.

But, I would not expect him to be known outside of B'way anytime too soon even after his time on The Voice.

And, yeah, he had a bit of an off night. Only one person turned in their chair. Not the best sign.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#10Tony Vincent on the Voice...
Posted: 2/21/12 at 1:28am

Part of the problem for me was the song choice. He didn't really pick a song that shows off what he does best and the performance itself was definitely a little off. He even sounded like he shyed away from a high note at one point and didn't put any power on it which I know he's capable of so it was odd. Hopefully he'll do better.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#11Tony Vincent on the Voice...
Posted: 2/21/12 at 8:01am

I was happy to see him on there and to see how happy he and his wife are, but... I agree with those who have said he can sound better than he did last night Tony Vincent on the Voice...

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS
Updated On: 2/21/12 at 08:01 AM

kidbroadway2
#12Tony Vincent on the Voice...
Posted: 2/21/12 at 9:13am

Frenchie Davis had the same problem. Terrible song choice for audition, but ended up making it to the final 8. Think Vincent can def. do the same with Cee Lo's "mentoring".

TheaterAddict17 Profile Photo
TheaterAddict17
#13Tony Vincent on the Voice...
Posted: 2/21/12 at 11:25am

I was very surprised as well, I really thought he would sound better. I'll be interested to see what happens with him this season. And seriously he needs to eat a burger.

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#14Tony Vincent on the Voice...
Posted: 2/21/12 at 11:49am

Was also extremely disappointed in his performance last night. Excitedly watched it live with my girlfriend, ready for her to experience one of my favorite Broadway/rock voices, and found his singing forced and not to his strengths at all. His throat sounded tense like he was trying to squeeze out the notes, and was hoping he'd at least pound out a long, sustained, open "of the world!" at the end to show off his vocal clarity.

Oh, well. Hoping he has the chance to shine as the season goes on.

EDIT: Also, it appears that these auditions happened about 3 months ago? Because Aspen said she was 4 months into her pregnancy when speaking with with Carson Daly (a horrific host, btw), but apparently she's due in April. So, if Tony was undergoing some vocal problems, he's hopefully over them by now.

Updated On: 2/21/12 at 11:49 AM

Videos