pixeltracker

Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans- Page 2

Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#25Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/24/12 at 12:00am

Beth Leavel is clearly the best pick in the non-star category.

I'd love to see Jane Lynch do this, just because she knows how to infuse terror and comedy so well..

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

husk_charmer
#26Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/24/12 at 9:33am

My top choice from their list was Andrea McArdle and then Patti LuPone. I actually rather liked Kathie Lee Gifford as Hannigan.

Givesmevoice-
I saw Ellen Harvey play Hannigan at Casa Mañana a few years back (She was actually the only reason I went, having loved her in Mamma Mia!), and she was really fantastic. She played it like a mix of Loudon and Jackie Hoffman.

The big issue I have with Playbill's article is that they keep mentioning Hannigan as a drunk. Aside from the occasional nip at a flask, I never really viewed her as a drunk, just a sex-starved woman who came up out of the gutter as far as she could and hates her job.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#27Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/24/12 at 10:13am

No Terri White?

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#28Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/24/12 at 10:24am

Patti and Bernie would both be amazing Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans

I have a feeling Rosie would be great, too.

I love Cheno, but... I just don't see her as Ms. Hannigan.

Beth Level would knock it out of the park, too.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#29Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/24/12 at 11:02am

Lynch and Daly would be the only ones from Playbill's list to inspire me to see a revival of Annie. Goth's brilliant suggestion of Kelly Bishop would also get me to go, but no producer is going to use her as Hannigan on Broadway unless there's some other draw. I'd also add Harriet Harris to the list.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
Updated On: 2/24/12 at 11:02 AM

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#30Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/24/12 at 11:57am

How bout Nancy Opel?

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#31Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/24/12 at 12:10pm

I said in my post that I would love to see Nancy Opel, so good call, SondheimFan.

Goth's brilliant suggestion of Kelly Bishop would also get me to go, but no producer is going to use her as Hannigan on Broadway unless there's some other draw.

Isn't Annie enough of a known product that you don't really need a star to sell it?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

husk_charmer
#32Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/24/12 at 12:59pm

Given that the 96-ish production only ran a few months, maybe not.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Actor2
#33Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/24/12 at 1:14pm

Just put Jackie Hoffman, Mary Testa, Andrea McArdle, Nancy Opel, Jane Lynch, Andrea Martin, Beth Level, and Allison Janney in rotation. They can all do other projects while they do the show, and it'd sell a ****load of tickets.

Gothampc
#34Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/24/12 at 1:17pm

A free American Girl Annie doll with every 2 tickets purchased.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 2/24/12 at 01:17 PM

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#35Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/24/12 at 1:28pm

Nice additions, Actor2! Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans                               Jackie, Mary and Alison... Three more who could really soar with the role.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Gothampc
#36Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/24/12 at 1:39pm

I don't know why they have to star cast Miss Hannigan. Dorothy Loudon wasn't a star when she did the original.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#37Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/24/12 at 1:41pm

Given that the 96-ish production only ran a few months, maybe not.

They had Nell Carter, who was a star. I saw that production (twice, I believe) and loved it, but I don't think it was really well-received.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

AEA AGMA SM
#38Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/24/12 at 4:24pm

That revival was, if I recall correctly, a pretty standard recreation of the original production, which, in my opinion, often come off feeling stale and tired. It also had that bit of controversy surrounding it with the whole competition to cast the title role, and then the firing of the winner and replacing her with her understudy just prior to the show opening in NY. I would imagine that the negative publicity around that event didn't help the show's ticket sales.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#39Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/24/12 at 4:47pm

The 96 revival was definitely not a recreation of the original; it was nowhere near as lavish. Most people feel like the real secret weapon behind the success of the original ANNIE in 1977 was Mike Nichols, who not only produced, but apparently strongly influenced and guided Martin Charnin in directorial decisions.

A lot of people seem to feel like Charnin's weak direction (along with some lackluster casting choices) is what made the last revival feel pretty workmanlike and uninspired.

AEA AGMA SM
#40Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/24/12 at 4:54pm

Sorry, MB, I was probably getting it confused with the fact that Martin Charnin has been trotting out that scaled-back feeling of the original production for so many regional productions and lackluster tours.

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#41Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/24/12 at 5:02pm

Cheno and Bernadette?

I second the Jane Lynch mentions but Andrea McArdle would be an awesome coming full-circle choice. Buckley and Ebersole would be wacky that I now cannot get the visualizations of them in the role out of my head.

random person 112
#42Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/24/12 at 5:15pm

i love the ebersole idea and i get where they're going with Chenoweth and Bernie. Bernies voice would fit pretty well in the score but i don't think this is her role. Cheno would also be coming full circle, she was heavily considered for the first movie for the part of Annie, she'd be laugh out loud, but all wrong.

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#43Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/24/12 at 5:27pm

Here's Rosie performing "Little Girls" and "Easy Street" on her cruise. I think with better direction in both acting and singing, she could be good. This is just her being Rosie in a cabaret type performance, so I don't know if it's fair to see it as her in a fully realized character...all that being said, she basically screams Little Girls...

Little Girls:
http://youtu.be/IcmaEr5FZXk

Easy Street:
http://youtu.be/5UWoANt0Wkc

Then there's Andrea McArdle in North Carolina Theatre's production. She actually played Hannigan already...and stunk. She's just too attractive and the fact that she was Annie already kind of ruins it. The performance just seems like "I was Annie! Now I'm Hannigan! Isn't that FUN?" Don't get me wrong, I love her, and she's amazing, just so wrong for the part. I

Little Girls:
http://youtu.be/VdcSZockL4U

Easy Street:
http://youtu.be/hxSXhh0cUuE

Seems like a young Ann Margret...

My favorite mentioned is Andrea Martin. She seems to be just a big enough "name", and she's just perfect for the role. Christian Borle would be the perfect Rooster, if SMASH weren't in the way...

Gothampc
#44Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/24/12 at 5:40pm

"It also had that bit of controversy surrounding it with the whole competition to cast the title role, and then the firing of the winner and replacing her with her understudy just prior to the show opening in NY."

The original had the same drama sans the competition. Andrea McArdle was not the original Annie, and in fact was really too old for the part. Every night Reid Shelton looked like he was about to get a hernia when McArdle jumped into his arms.

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#45Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/24/12 at 7:00pm

I love the suggestions of Jane Lynch and Andrea Martin. Kelly Bishop would be simply divine! She's got such great comedic timing.

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#46Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/24/12 at 7:00pm

I love the suggestions of Jane Lynch and Andrea Martin. Kelly Bishop would be simply divine! She's got such great comedic timing.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#47Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/25/12 at 7:21am

I'm not a fan of Annie. Too much "cute" in all the kids, and I can only imagine what the audience will look like and I just hate having my seat kicked by little feet. (So do my kids.)

That being said, there are some great suggestions, both in the article and on the thread.

My favs: McArdle, Leavel, Ebersole, Buckley, Martin.

Given her "audience interaction" of the past, he thought of LuPone with a housefull of kids is frightening.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#48Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/25/12 at 7:44am

Jessica Walter?

"You gave us cereal in an ashtray"

tjjster
#49Playbill's Dozen Dream Miss Hannigans
Posted: 2/25/12 at 9:31am

Andrea McArdle has done the role twice and and has gotten poor reviews both times.
The first was in North Carolina and the Second was in Southern California.

Side note, I was at a party with the artistic director for the theatre in Southern California where he told me that he wanted Harriet Harris for Hannigan, but there was pressure from the rights holders to hire McArdle. Just an interesting tidbit.