pixeltracker

Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.- Page 2

Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.

After Eight
#25Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/2/12 at 1:29pm

D2,

The soups that I referred all came from upscale restaurants. In fact those are the worst offenders when it comes to ruining perfectly wonderful dishes through a chef's "creativity." (There's only about a thousand cooking shows on tv, so how come none of these high-end chefs can cook?)

So, D2, you are right. You actually can get better soups in a diner or a take-out place. But I've had plenty of lousy ones in both, as well. It's a gamble, wherever you go.

That's why I said stick to Campbell's. Not that it's great. But it's acceptable, and at least you know what you're in for. It's better than risking an unwelcome surprise.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#26Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/2/12 at 1:50pm

So, if all soup is not good, why eat it at all?

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#27Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/2/12 at 2:00pm

You guys inspired me, too. I just went to the nice-soup-nazi place and got a lovely mushroom brie.

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#28Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/2/12 at 2:26pm

My favorite chain soup is the creamy tomato at Panera. It has french bread croutons in it. I get it every time I eat there. Yum!

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!
Updated On: 3/2/12 at 02:26 PM

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#29Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/2/12 at 9:35pm

"That's why I said stick to Campbell's. Not that it's great. But it's acceptable, and at least you know what you're in for. It's better than risking an unwelcome surprise."

AfterEight, you shock me! I thought you were all about risk.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#30Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/3/12 at 12:09am

I think Campbell's is bottom of the barrel. I find most of their soups vile. I'm actually not a fan of canned soups, but like restaurants with homemade soup. We have Wegman's grocery store here and they have a line of refrigerated soups in microwaveable cups that taste very fresh. I dig those.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#31Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/3/12 at 12:31am

The only canned soup I've eaten in years is Snow's clam chowder- only because my mother and grandmother, both New Englanders, swear it's the best pre-made clam chowder.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#32Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/3/12 at 1:39am

I hate soup, I really do, but because of this thread I've had Campbell's and Progresso Soups' jingles running through my head.

After Eight
#33Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/3/12 at 7:38am

"The only canned soup I've eaten in years is Snow's clam chowder"

How is it?

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#34Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/3/12 at 12:52pm

I find that soup from a can has too much salt. It's easy to cook soups at home, so that's what I do. Either that or in a restaurant. There's no comparison between canned soup and homemade soup.

But if you don't cook, I guess you have to settle for canned.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

JerseyGirl2
#35Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/3/12 at 2:21pm

I make a really delicious carrot soup garnished with creme fraiche. That and potato celery are my favorites. I divide them into individual portions and keep them in the freezer.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#36Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/3/12 at 2:32pm

That's exactly what I do, JG. I make the whole recipe, the whole pot, and freeze individual portions. I do that with all food I cook, not just soup. Why cook just for one?

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Dollypop
#37Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/3/12 at 3:13pm

This is an interesting thread to read when you've got several gallons of split pea soup simmering in the stove for a church dinner later this week!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#38Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/3/12 at 11:06pm

Let us not forget the tons of sodium in a can of regular soup. Hey Dolly planning on an exorcism.

Poster Emeritus

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#39Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/4/12 at 12:04am

Snow's is my favorite canned clam chowder. Nothing beats something freshly made, though.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

After Eight
#40Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/4/12 at 1:17am

"I make a really delicious carrot soup garnished with creme fraiche. That and potato celery are my favorites. I divide them into individual portions and keep them in the freezer."

Those sound delicious. Could you please share the recipes?

Those are two kinds you don't often find in restaurants today.

Nowadays, carrot soups are almost invariably spoiled by the addition of ginger. In the 60s, I remember incredibly delicious cream of carrot soups at long-gone French restaurants and bistros. Smooth, velvety, and heavenly.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#41Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/4/12 at 8:44am

I never order soup from a restaurant, save for a few exceptions (matzo ball at a deli, authentic soup from a Chinese/Thai restaurant etc). Not to sound like a curmudgeon, but I find that soup is almost always the most overpriced item on the menu (in terms of quality and what you get for the price) and the most hit or miss. As others have noted, it's quite easy to make delicious homemade soups, so I normally make a large pot when I'm in the mood, freeze the leftovers, and enjoy for weeks at a time.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#42Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/4/12 at 11:44am

I must say, nothing beats a good French onion served to you. With the melted cheese and the soaked bread in it. It's something I don't think is quite as easily replicated at home.

JerseyGirl2
#43Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/4/12 at 12:02pm

My carrot soup doesn't have a specific recipe, as I just taste as I go, but I will give you the basics.

2 pounds-ish carrots, peeled and shredded
1 large or 2 small onions, peeled and sliced
Vegetable or chicken bullion, amount depending on taste
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup heavy cream (I usually sub milk and the taste isn't far off)
Salt and white pepper to taste
Creme fraiche for garnish (I often sub Greek yogurt)

Cover the shredded carrots and onions in enough water to cover and bring to a boil. Add the bullion and just let it all cook until the vegetables are very soft, stirring often. Use an immersion blender (or pour it all into a blender) to blend to thick soup stage. Add cream and tomato paste. Cook to desired thickness and add salt and white pepper to taste. I use white pepper because it keeps the pretty solid color. Serve with a dollop of creme fraiche or Greek yogurt. It's great with a crusty French bread.

And the potato soup is just a Southern, non-recipe dish I learned from my mom. You cook peeled and cubed potatoes just enough water to cover them. Saute diced onion and celery in butter until translucent. Before the potatoes break down, add the vegetables and a large amount of whole milk. (My mom uses half and half.) Now you just cook it until it thickens, adding more milk, butter and salt and black pepper to taste. You can blend this as well, but I prefer it more rustic and chunky. The amounts of everything are different every time. It's especially good with a little shredded sharp cheddar on top. lol Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Updated On: 3/4/12 at 12:02 PM

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#44Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/4/12 at 12:58pm

Now I'm hungry for soup

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#45Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/4/12 at 1:28pm

I'm at this moment trying to re-create the Hungarian wild mushroom soup I had on Friday from a place near my office.

Fingers crossed . . .

After Eight
#46Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/4/12 at 7:41pm

"Sorry I can't be more helpful."

Jersey Girl,

Actually, you've been tremendously helpful.

Thanks a million or taking the time to write out these recipes.

RT,

Good luck with your wild mushroom soup. It sounded delicious. I wish more restaurants would serve that.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#47Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/4/12 at 7:53pm

I was pretty pleased with it! Mushrooms, onion, vegetable stock, paprika, red pepper, dill, parsley, lemon, yogurt, butter milk, and sour cream. (Went with Greek yogurt and reduced-fat sour cream).

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#48Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/4/12 at 10:20pm

I'm a big fan of the soup at B&H on 2nd ave b/t 7 and 8. Quick, cheap, and the homemade challah is on point!!

And as far as these rogue chefs are concerned, at least they use real ingredients in their soup.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#49Soup, anyone? Stick to Campbell's.
Posted: 3/4/12 at 10:24pm

This is my preferred spot. It can have a lengthy line, but they're fast, and I'm usually eating off the peak lunch hours anyway. I've never had a bad soup from there (although the fruit that comes with it can be a little sad-looking at times). And they're happy to let you sample if you're not sure whether you like a certain combo!
The Soup Spot